follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 12-22-2015, 10:23 PM   #15
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
I hate reading threads like these. It makes me feel like I don't deserve my car. I wash a couple times a year, and wax once. Thought clay was for making sculptures. Sigh. Guess I'll have to do better. Thanks for feeding my inferiority complex, all. Merry Christmas..

Barry
I was in the same boat, read that people spend hours washing, claying, polishing, and waxing. Also thought clay was for making sculptures.

Then I went to a car wash with a buddy and we spent about 5 hours doing all the above except polish. It's fun cleaning the car alongside someone else.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
MuseChaser (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 11:02 PM   #16
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Use it the same way? I have looked at them but wasn't convinced. Just seemed to easy.
I used clay for years and the sponge did seem to easy so I just bought it at a local auto paint supply as it was under $10 to try it. It does do the same as the regular clay and I kind of trust it more as the garbage doesn't get stuck into the clay and get rubbed around as much and mar the paint. I think the guy said it should last 10 or so uses. It lasts longer, is cheaper, you can drop it, gets the same results so it's a winner in my book. They have them in different grades and I got the fine one. Only used it once so far but it did work as well as the clay.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-22-2015), Ultramaroon (12-23-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 11:05 PM   #17
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
I used clay for years and the sponge did seem to easy so I just bought it at a local auto paint supply as it was under $10 to try it. It does do the same as the regular clay and I kind of trust it more as the garbage doesn't get stuck into the clay and get rubbed around as much and mar the paint. I think the guy said it should last 10 or so uses. It lasts longer, is cheaper, you can drop it, gets the same results so it's a winner in my book. They have them in different grades and I got the fine one. Only used it once so far but it did work as well as the clay.
Perfect. Thanks. I will give it a go in the summer.
Impureclient (12-22-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 01:15 AM   #18
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,834 Times in 16,431 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
............. It's fun cleaning the car alongside someone else.
I hear that ..... I've been looking for her to do the inside ......

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (12-23-2015), Tcoat (12-23-2015), Teseo (12-23-2015), Ultramaroon (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 10:02 AM   #19
WhiteFRS69

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,432 Times in 756 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
ive been using Sonax Fall out of Auto Finesse Iron Out and have noticed a big reduction in having to clay

i only clay my car usually twice a year, right before and after the winter months
WhiteFRS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:40 PM   #20
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Full detail for me takes half a day or more.

So typically I clay twice a year which is the full detail days. Wax every 1-2 months and wash every weekend or two weeks.

That feeling of a clean car is so nice, especially after a full detail day I roll down the windows and just keep rubbing my hand on the outside A pillar or roof for that smoothness.
YamahaR86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YamahaR86 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #21
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kravi View Post
Anyone have any suggestions on how to reduce the incidences of claying? Over the course of an hour, mistakes are bound to happen, but I figure I can reduce the incidences and not waste the clay.
Go to dollar tree, buy plastic bags or go to home depot and buy the paint splash plastic (forgot name) thingies to put on floor. Cut them up so that they cover 3x3 (feet) or so and place it under you. This way if it falls, its more likely to have dirt on it from you stepping on it than the floor.

Learned this from watching random neighbor wash his corvette.

BTW quick tip when thinking of fully detailing:

If you ever use a wash like Meguiar's G17748 Ultimate Wash and Wax, make sure you then remove wax (I use dish soap to rewash) and/or choose a non wax wash for car in the beginning. Then clay with a quik detailer (imo). It gets toxins (lol) off better that way from clear coat.

p.s. last tip is split cay into 2 bars. ...or buy 2nd. Use one for dirty and 2nd for 2nd pass over 'clean' clayed side.

Last edited by Packofcrows; 12-23-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Packofcrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:33 PM   #22
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
Go to dollar tree, buy plastic bags or go to home depot and buy the paint splash plastic (forgot name) thingies to put on floor. Cut them up so that they cover 3x3 (feet) or so and place it under you. This way if it falls, its more likely to have dirt on it from you stepping on it than the floor.

Learned this from watching random neighbor wash his corvette.

BTW quick tip when thinking of fully detailing:

If you ever use a wash like Meguiar's G17748 Ultimate Wash and Wax, make sure you then remove wax (I use dish soap to rewash) and/or choose a non wax wash for car in the beginning. Then clay with a quik detailer (imo). It gets toxins (lol) off better that way from clear coat.

p.s. last tip is split cay into 2 bars. ...or buy 2nd. Use one for dirty and 2nd for 2nd pass over 'clean' clayed side.
Let me see if i understood, before wax is better wash the car with dish soap? Will not harm the clear coat? And what if i wash the car with soap with "wax" then clay and last wax?
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:31 PM   #23
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
Let me see if i understood, before wax is better wash the car with dish soap? Will not harm the clear coat? And what if i wash the car with soap with "wax" then clay and last wax?
Was at work.

So, if you are going to clean your car and do a clay (and later wax), I recommend to also get rid of whatever wax is already there already. Many believe new wax will remove old wax. IMHO remove everything for a more thorough cleaning.

Above is what I use (sensitive one). I do this every 2-3 months before waxing.

Washing car with soap+wax imo still leaves some small degree of gunk stuck in with wax before claying. I'd prefer to go into the clearcoat, since, a lot of the gunk gets stuck to it there more often than wax.

It's what I recommend.
kravi (01-17-2016), Teseo (12-24-2015)