follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-22-2014, 05:57 PM   #43
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by covance View Post
I actually just traded in my AUDI A4 (all wheel drive, roomy, great for snow, good sized trunk and back seats) for the BRZ as my daily driver.

Since you are considering your significant other, I thought I would throw in my two cents. I actually picked the BRZ with the mindset of "what is the most impractical purchase I can make" since I know I will be married in the next 1.5 years. I figure at that time, priorities will have to change in terms of everything being more family oriented, so I thought I would pull the trigger on the BRZ now while I had the chance

Loving the car so far. Will need to get service department to fix the speaker/window button rattles at 3,000 miles.
this. I bought the BRZ knowing that it is impractical and uncomfortable, but that only gives me an excuse to buy another cool comfy/spacious car and the BRZ will be sort of "grandfathered" in as my fun sporty car If I wanted a good compromise I would`ve gotten a BMW 335i or something... but I actually track race my car and the BRZ as a tool on a track I cannot ask for more, especially for the money I paid. there are better cars that will do most things better than the brz (hell a wrx is an awesome car for that matter), but if you care about the feelings you get from the engine that sits lower than your knees sort of a thing, you soon overlook how annoying it is to get in/out of. Ok, I still curse at the car when I get in/out of it (6'1" 185lbs mind you), and even when I`m in it, as I still wish i sat lower and had the steering wheel closer to my chest, but nothing feels like the BRZ unless I`m driving a high end exotic mid engined cars like a cayman. and the Porsche, your wife/gf WILL ask you if you really need a Porsche, whereas a old subaru or a honda is a bit easier for them to swallow...

I`m 27, also with a serious gf.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:18 PM   #44
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flippy View Post
I'm 24 and have a bad back already, I feel like I'm 60 getting in and out of it haha especially after a leg day the gym. If you really want the car go for it. it's worth it unless your gf hounds you non stop for 5 years
At 24 you can't really have a real back pain related to bones unless genetic. Wut you have is back muscle de-conditioning from either not working those muscles enough or due to habit(involuntary muscle stress)/incorrect posture for too long so its under constant stress.

And op, it sounds like your gf is either too controlling or just a xxxxx. Why argue and make it a bigger deal then it is on a purchase like this that's not directly relate to her other then getting in & out. Please Man Up.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:25 PM   #45
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
At 24 you can't really have a real back pain related to bones unless genetic. Wut you have is back muscle de-conditioning from either not working those muscles enough or due to habit(involuntary muscle stress)/incorrect posture for too long so its under constant stress.
It could also be an injury.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #46
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
It could also be an injury.
He said especially after a leg day in gym thou....so....:p

Lower back pain can also occur because you sits around too much resulting Sciatica... Ps: which I had before for like 5 year. Just wanna help cuz my situation was pretty bad.

Last edited by chaoskaze; 10-22-2014 at 06:53 PM.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chaoskaze For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (10-23-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #47
uEih

Drives: CBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I do get annoyed getting out of it sometimes, especially in tight parking spaces. It's still worth it to me but for the passenger who has to ride with you all the time, they might complain.
uEih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #48
rxlynn

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I'll give my 2 cents worth here, since I'm both old and female. She'll get used to it (or she ought to) once she sees how happy the car makes you. I'll admit the first few times in a skirt were a little tricky, so you might want to help her out if she's dressed up. Biggest piece of advice - you are young, so buy it and enjoy before all the responsibilities come along. There will be other times in your life to make the safe, comfortable choices.
rxlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rxlynn For This Useful Post:
berkbrzfan (10-23-2014), mokinbird87 (10-23-2014), unsurety (10-24-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 01:55 AM   #49
reni
Nobody beats the B[I|R]Z

Drives: shopping cart i stole from walmart
Thanked 1,145 Times in 456 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I think it's good that you want to consider her when making major decision. But let's be honest here, the BRZ is still a "normal" car, it's not like you are doing something extreme like making her ride in an Ariel Atom or the back of a Harley every day (and I'm assuming she doesn't have any sort of physical disability where getting in and out of something other than a large car would be a genuine hardship). But if she can't accept that you have your own preferences, especially when spending your own money on your own car, then she's only going to get worse and more controlling from here on out.
reni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to reni For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (10-23-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 08:09 AM   #50
SomeoneWhoIsntMe

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
if you get the genesis 2.0t instead of the BRZ/FRS like you actually want to just to placate her, when she fucks your best friend and leaves you that's all you'll see in the genesis and you'll quickly grow to resent it. soon enough, you won't be able to stand to look at it, let alone get in and drive it. go for the 86, man.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #51
spicyricecake

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Performance Package
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneWhoIsntMe View Post
if you get the genesis 2.0t instead of the BRZ/FRS like you actually want to just to placate her, when she fucks your best friend and leaves you that's all you'll see in the genesis and you'll quickly grow to resent it. soon enough, you won't be able to stand to look at it, let alone get in and drive it. go for the 86, man.
LOL CALM DOWN WITH THE ASSUMPTIONS...

I'm quite certain she will never cheat on me, and my friends are not scumbags who would get involved with my girlfriend or ex girlfriend for that matter..

Thanks for the advice, but that's not one of my concern between choosing which car.
spicyricecake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spicyricecake For This Useful Post:
AznBRZer (10-23-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #52
904FRSlow

Drives: '13 FR-S Whiteout
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Seems like you need a WRX
904FRSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:17 AM   #53
Chad11491

Drives: 85.5 Porsche 944, '15 mustang GT PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I can't comment on other people in an 86, but I'm 6'4" and ~200lb so in good shape. I get in and out with zero problems, you get used to low cars and kinda get a "swing" for getting in and out of them. My Z was about 1 - 1 1/2" lower than a stock 86, and girls didn't have a problem getting in or out. Most of them were around 5'5" ish. My granddad was very funny watching him get in and out.....I'd take the t-tops off for him to just kind of "fall" in hahaha.

My reasoning is you'll be driving this every day, you should be happy. If she has her own car and you're paying the payment on this you should get what you want. It's nice to take into consideration other people's wants, but if it doesn't cause any problems other than she doesn't like it because she wears a dress, I'd say it'd be silly to not get it. The back seat was big enough to fit my 10yo cousin in with my 5'8" uncle in the front with me test driving it. I think the kid aspect will be fine for years.
Chad11491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #54
berkbrzfan

Drives: WRB BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxlynn View Post
Ok, I'll give my 2 cents worth here, since I'm both old and female. She'll get used to it (or she ought to) once she sees how happy the car makes you. I'll admit the first few times in a skirt were a little tricky, so you might want to help her out if she's dressed up. Biggest piece of advice - you are young, so buy it and enjoy before all the responsibilities come along. There will be other times in your life to make the safe, comfortable choices.
This!

I went through several rounds of discussion with my wife on buying the car. In the end when she realized what the car meant to me, she pushed me to get it. Getting in and out of any low sports coupe is going to be difficult. But human beings adapt and so you will find the best way to do it after a few attempts. If you feel that is going to be an issue, then it is very likely that things could get worse as you will find similar problems with this car's practicality once you start using it!

Also, thinking before making a decision is wise. But over thinking leads to you not being able to make a decision at all. Go with what your heart tells you and enjoy the sports coupe experience when there are minimal responsibilities. This is coming from a guy who bought this car when he had a 3 month old baby and still has managed to somehow keep himself, the wife and kid happy !
berkbrzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #55
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad11491 View Post
I can't comment on other people in an 86, but I'm 6'4" and ~200lb so in good shape. I get in and out with zero problems, you get used to low cars and kinda get a "swing" for getting in and out of them.
I'm 6' and 280 lbs and not in particularly great shape, and I also had to learn how to swing into the car. Once you learn it, it's not difficult. Even being a fatass, I have had no trouble at all after the first day.

As for women and skirts and flashing their nether regions, even though I'm male I was thinking about this and realized that as long as she keeps her legs together and swings both in at the same time the way I do when I get in and out of the car, she shouldn't have a problem. Really, if she has a problem getting in and out of this car, it's not a problem with the car.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #56
Alita

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
i didn't read the whole thread, but i will tell you that it is once you you add heels and a dress/skirt to the equation, it can be a bit indelicate and awkward. it's mostly an issue once you start wearing 3"+ heels, which is what i wear.

^ Click for build thread ^
Alita is offline   Reply With Quote