follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 07-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #43
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
But really, how are you a mod? Not being rude, just a sincere question.
Just by being committed to the forum really. I've been involved since the old days, and so I guess I became an unofficial mod, up until Hachi asked me to be an actual mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
My memory of 45 years ago says the fuel line runs over the top of the rear subframe and you should have fitted it first. But I may be thinking about the Hydrolastic pipes and yours is dry model.

You did well to get out the subframe bolts by the rear suspension arm outer bearing unless of course the shiny bolt head is just glued in
I think you are thinking of the hydro pipes because I'm fairly sure I couldn't fit fuel lines down there. And yeah the subframe bushings were the biggest pains in the world. 1959 engineering has really proved to be quite ridiculous in its design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
Also, you could do a turbo Hayabusa engine and be pushing 350-400 whp in a very compact package. With an absurd redline. You could tie it to a busa sequential manual, too. Then you could have a genuine paddle shift manual transmission. Make it all mid-engine/RWD, put some huge flares on the back, and run super wide tires to put the power down.

Or you could do a normal busa engine with 197 hp, yada yada, blah blah blah.

Turbo that shit.
Mid Engined would have just been too much of a project for me. Also, I assure you, 200hp is going to be wayyyyy more than enough. I believe the car will weigh hardly 1500lbs when it's all said and done. Not too mention I have 155 section tires all around.
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
husker741 (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #44
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Will a 155 tire be enough to handle the b18's output?

Also, that's a whole lot of sidewall. What about sidewall flex in corners?
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Guff (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #45
Guff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
Will a 155 tire be enough to handle the b18's output?

Also, that's a whole lot of sidewall. What about sidewall flex in corners?
This wheel and tire setup is only temporary. These are 13x5, and I plan on getting some 13x7 wheels and putting some 175/50/13 or perhaps even 195/45/13 track day tires on it so I can have some grip.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:29 AM   #46
Guff

Garage
Well, some pretty annoying setbacks have kind gotten me stuck for now...

-For some reason, this trans has the wrong intermediate shaft on it. It has a Male-Female intermediate shaft which is the '94 and prior type, but the drivetrain is a '97 and I have the '97 halfshafts. So the Drivers side halfshaft can't go on because it's a female end and the intermediate shaft is also a female end. TLDR; I need to find a new intermediate shaft.

-There is literally no alternator clearance and I can't cut the metal it's hitting because that's where the upper mount for the suspension bolts to. AND there's no clearance for the alternator belt as it hits the engine mount. And when I tried relocating the alternator belt further up the crank pulley, the belt is at too severe of an angle to work...

-I can't get the goddamn subframe to line up! I got the passenger side lined up and I dropped the top mount bolt in, but for a multitude of reasons, I can't get the drivers side to line up. Not to mention, the alternator hits the top mount bolt on the drivers side, so I can't even get a socket on it.

Needless to say, the MiniTec front subframe is shit when it comes to clearance (although it seems like a pretty strong piece) and it's causing me quite a bit of headache.

Nobody said it was going to be easy (or cheap), so I'll keep working (and keep spending).
Old 07-15-2014, 05:45 PM   #47
emutcfut

Drives: 2013 Argento
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Looking forward to more updates! Have 2 non running minis in the garage and a b16 available to me. Thinking about doing this as well.
emutcfut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:41 AM   #48
Guff

Garage
UPDATE 10/15/14

WHAT IS UP GUYS!!!!???

I haven't updated this thing in a while, so i am going to highlight what I accomplished this summer and where I am now.

Hopefully you guys will understand that I was rushing to get this bad boy running before summer ended and a lot of the work I did was done solo, so I don't have many pictures.

So, we got the motor in!!!

It was in properly, and I went to town wiring everything up. The harness I have is a shortened harness by Minitec so it was mostly plug and play.

Still looks clean!

On top of that, I found myself replacing various things that were broken, such as this very difficult to reach knock sensor.

Then I ran brake lines, which (thanks to my Harbor Freight flaring tool) were all very leaky!

And then, as I was really anxious to start it, I went ahead and put the fuel cell, along with a Walbro pump in and ran fuel lines! Which I then forgot to photograph.

Got the ECU mocked up and wired in!

So, I gave her a crank to see if the starter was functioning and got this:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcA4VjXeebM"]VTEC Mini Starter Issues - YouTube[/ame]

So, there was an issue with my starter wiring. And after quite some time of thinking about wiring and circuits and other things that make me far too confused, I figured it out!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AYnfjtpurU"]Fixed Starter Wiring : Crank Baby! - YouTube[/ame]

She was cranking! Hopefully oil pressure was good, because I'm ready to plug fuel in and start this baby up!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9aoJyPovGQ"]VTEC Mini Start - YouTube[/ame]

SHE LIVESSSSS

HELL YEAH BABY!

Lots of emotion at this point! After so many years dreaming of this moment, I found that it was even sweeter than I could have imagined! She wasn't driving yet, but she was alive!

So, at this point, I had perhaps a week left in Texas. I had to work damn quick in order to be able get this old girl on the road before heading back to school. At this point, I was working and taking summer classes on top of all this, so time was not easy to come by.

I finished up wiring, sorted out suspension and brakes, fixed leaks, etc and just tried to get her there. By the last day, I was fabricating shift linkages, and mounting the shifter assembly, but when I was underneath the car, I found this:

Two of the bell housing bolts were not there, and there was a significant gap between the motor and trans.

How did I not see this before? How the hell did this even happen? It occurred to me that the shop (who I will not name) that worked on refreshing my motor somehow forgot these two bolts. So my buddy and I frantically drove to the nearest auto parts store searching for a bolt that would fit. But alas, we couldn't find one.

We came back to the shed feeling defeated and confused. How could something like this pop up this late in the game? It was a crippling feeling knowing that something like this very well may be the thing that stops us from meeting the deadline.

But then, I began looking through my bolts box. Who knows, I've got a million bolts, perhaps one will fit... And after quite a bit of searching, we found some! It was almost miraculous! They weren't exactly the same, but the thread pitches were the same and they were long enough! So we got those bad boys in and closed up that damn gap!

At that point, it was really late, and the two of us were insanely tired, but we soldiered on. I cut and began welding (with my damn flux-core welder) up the shift linkages. But then came the point that my eyes were literally closing with between passes, and I knew I couldn't continue that night. My friend had already left, and I decided to call it a night. I realized that even if I finished this, I still had to bleed the brakes and clutch, and sort out a hundred other small things before I could drive it.

I woke up the next day far later than I should have. My flight was later that afternoon, and I still hadn't packed. On top of that, I couldn't spend my last day here without hanging out with my family.

It was at this point that I realized that it wasn't going to happen.

I wasn't going to be able to smugly drive my open header, VTEC-powered Mini with no doors past my disapproving neighbors. I wasn't going to be able to rip a nasty burnout in my driveway with no safety restraints and a seat made of couch cushions. All those fantasies that fueled my passion to build this thing were just that, fantasies.

I flew back to Illinois later that day with high hopes that I would ship the Mini to campus and work on it on the weekends with all my gearhead buddies, but sadly it hasn't happened yet. Shipping this car and all my tools with it without actually driving down there and trailering it up has proven to be far more difficult (and expensive) to organize than I originally imagined. On top of that, I work full time and am a full time student, and as such, time is pretty limited.

That being said, the Mini will come up here. And she will get finished.

And you guys can bet your asses that I'll put up the video of my smug mug ripping a nasty burnout with her when I'm done.

Until next time....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
JonAvalon (10-15-2014), M1K3 (10-15-2014), rice_classic (10-16-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #49
Sargy
Long Distance Driver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
I hate those knock sensors! I broke 3 on a GSR block and one on my B20/vtec project back in the day.

Good work!
Old 10-15-2014, 08:16 AM   #50
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Wow.. That's quite a project you took on.. Great combination of body and engine.. Should be a fun ride once it's completed.. Looks like you got some work ahead of you with the interior as well. I look forward to seeing your project meet the road! Keep us updated and good luck.
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikem53 For This Useful Post:
Guff (10-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 07:21 PM   #51
Guff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargy View Post
I hate those knock sensors! I broke 3 on a GSR block and one on my B20/vtec project back in the day.

Good work!
Thanks a lot, brother! And OMG, those knock sensors are the worst. I'm lucky that I noticed it then and not down the line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post
Wow.. That's quite a project you took on.. Great combination of body and engine.. Should be a fun ride once it's completed.. Looks like you got some work ahead of you with the interior as well. I look forward to seeing your project meet the road! Keep us updated and good luck.
Thank you! My To-Do list is still quite long and it sucks to not be able to do anything about it!

Anybody know of a good, inexpensive way to ship a non running car (with a ton of tools inside) cross country? I would be very grateful, because I have been getting dozens of quotes over the last few months and everyone wants $1400-$1800 to bring her up here, and that's way out of my budget...
Old 10-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #52
vividracing

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,065 Times in 617 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
wow just wow!!!!! Keep it up!
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:35 PM   #53
chris912

Drives: 2013 Firestorm 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post

Anybody know of a good, inexpensive way to ship a non running car (with a ton of tools inside) cross country? I would be very grateful, because I have been getting dozens of quotes over the last few months and everyone wants $1400-$1800 to bring her up here, and that's way out of my budget...
have you looked into a U-haul?
chris912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:50 PM   #54
Guff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris912 View Post
have you looked into a U-haul?
I might try renting a truck+ dolly next time I'm in Dallas, but that probably won't be until late November.
The Following User Says Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
chris912 (10-17-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 09:30 PM   #55
ripper

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
awesome build. i had a '95 rover cooper with a 1.3 spi when i lived in japan. one of my favorite cars to date and if i could have brought it home with me i would have.

good luck and look forward to you getting it up and running.
ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ripper For This Useful Post:
Guff (10-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 10:22 PM   #56
RaveSaint5

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue (White)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Great project you got going on, Guff! That's some amazing work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargy View Post

Good work!
I hate them with as much passion as you do. Couple mechanics and I were changing an accord engine today and I broke the knock sensor on that.
RaveSaint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RaveSaint5 For This Useful Post:
Guff (10-15-2014)