follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 09-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #1
re-animator

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Muteki SR48 - do you bother with wheel locks?

Got some open ended mutekis to replace the oem lugs (which IMO are some of the crappiest oem lugs ever made). i know muteki does make a locking version of this lug for security purposes, but i was just wondering how many muteki users actually get the locking set? the plain jane sr48s require the included attachment to get them off in the first place (i.e. you can't just take them off with any old tire iron or torque wrench). theoretically anybody with a set of mutekis can take them off but the odds of a wheel thief having that is probably low and at that point if someone REALLY wants your wheels they can still get them, even if they are locked. The locking set to me seems kind of redundant and an unnecessary pain in the butt.

non locking regular nuts (requires muteki attachment to remove since they are extended/open end lugs):

additional locking lugs (requires a different muteki key to remove, though presumably all the locking lugs have the same key):
re-animator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:47 PM   #2
dallas

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The included attachment is just a size-down adapter for regular tire irons - it's nothing unique or nor is it theft deterring. If someone's really dedicated to stealing wheels, they'll have multiple heads to try out.

Each set of Muteki locks have a different locking pattern - the teeth on the lugs are all spaced differently.

Would recommend to get them. Worth the extra 40 bucks in my opinion.
dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
bmxr

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP WR Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Those look like you could get them off with pliers.
bmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bmxr For This Useful Post:
re-animator (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 02:01 PM   #4
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Locks wont stop a wheel thief, but they will slow them down a bit more then standard SR48. I run then for piece of mind.

On my MR2 Spyder I run short lugs and actually have muteki locks AND a set of gorilla locks. TE37 in Honda specs are fairly likely to get stolen so I figure might as well make it a pain for them.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
re-animator (09-14-2018), Tristor (09-14-2018), wparsons (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 02:02 PM   #5
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
If someone wants your wheels, no lock in the world is keeping them on the car. I've run mine for over 5 years with no locks and zero issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 02:50 PM   #6
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The locks are different. I have two sets of Muteki SR48 lugs (one set black, one set neochrome). The keys for them are unique.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:28 PM   #7
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
No worries. Thieves have keys for all varieties.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
wparsons (09-15-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 04:14 PM   #8
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
It seems like there's always two camps on this. The camp that runs locks to help prevent wheel theft and the camp that thinks locks are useless. I guess it's up to everyone to decide for themselves. Personally, I run wheel locks and I think the fact that not everyone does helps increase their deterrence factor. But at the end of the day like anything else it's just a deterrence.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:31 PM   #9
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Like others have stated:

1. The adapter in the standard SR45 set (actually for any Muteki non-locking set) is just an English-to Metric converter. (3/4"+13/16" to 17mm hex) Nothing special about it. It's not a lock or key.
  2. The locks give you peace of mind. They are actually keyed based on a set of 16 or so different unique patterns (I'm not sure the exact total). Each set of 4 locks share 1 key. However, any competent thief who actually targets the wheels will be able to get away with it. It will only deter the opportunistic thief.

I've run the SR35 and SR45R with optional locks. I would hate myself if my wheels got stolen one day. In my mind, if I at least put locks on them, I can live with the fact that I actually tried to do something.
EndlessAzure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:54 PM   #10
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
There's nothing at all special about the first set preventing theft, 3/4" Deep Socket, $4 at Harbor Freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...ket-67779.html

I have two and my dad has another two.

I had wheel locks because they were cheaper, really it meant that it slowed down wheel changes and working on the car. Bought a set like the OP's so that multiple people can work on the car at once.

How often do your wheels come off and how paranoid are you? Wheels only come off every two years for new tires? Fuck it get the locks.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:51 PM   #11
re-animator

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
There's nothing at all special about the first set preventing theft, 3/4" Deep Socket, $4 at Harbor Freight.

I had wheel locks because they were cheaper, really it meant that it slowed down wheel changes and working on the car. Bought a set like the OP's so that multiple people can work on the car at once.

How often do your wheels come off and how paranoid are you? Wheels only come off every two years for new tires? Fuck it get the locks.
my wheels come off relatively frequently (racerboy lyfe yo!). i am probably leaning towards getting a set of locks anyway because why not i guess. like others have said it would hurt worse to get your wheels stolen if you neglected to put locks on them. Besides, that way with locks you have four spare lugs in case something gets stripped etc.
re-animator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:09 PM   #12
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post

A yes, true point about the working with wheels. Some days after being under the car all day, getting that lock socket on each wheel can really grind the mental register.

Recently I had to get the wheels off multiple times over multiple days since something was off with my steering, and I wasn't sure if it was the tire rotation or something else. Sometimes, you drop that lock socket on your nice wheels too

Quote:
Originally Posted by re-animator View Post
my wheels come off relatively frequently (racerboy lyfe yo!). i am probably leaning towards getting a set of locks anyway because why not i guess. like others have said it would hurt worse to get your wheels stolen if you neglected to put locks on them. Besides, that way with locks you have four spare lugs in case something gets stripped etc.
That's a fair point as well. I recently had a stud fail on me, taking one of my nice lug nuts along with it. Having an extra 4 on hand (now 3) was nice. But in reality, you can just re-use the OEM lugs since they come with a 60 deg taper

What about if one of those failed lug nuts is your lock though? Are you going to shell out for another locking set?
EndlessAzure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #13
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
A lock won't slow down anything but a neighbourhood teenager who decided as they walked by that they were going to steal your wheels.

You can get kits like this super cheap:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...et/A-p8320954e

or something like this if you want the pro version:

https://www.amazon.ca/Ken-Tool-30171.../dp/B005EKZEFW

Point is, a thief doesn't care if they ruin the lock getting it off. They'll get the wheel off just as easily.