follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 10-03-2018, 01:33 PM   #85
gtpvette

Drives: 2015 FRS - FFR GTM
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I think I'm in the upgrade the Miata camp. Stick an LFX in it,, V8 roadsters makes a kit.

This dude built a monster.

https://www.mazdatalkforum.com/viewt...hp?f=10&t=3528

As a sidebar,,, it fits in the FRS as well. Well sort of.

2015 FR-S - One Day I'll Finish The Swap
gtpvette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gtpvette For This Useful Post:
SuperTom (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 04:00 PM   #86
Sleepless

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
@GrandSport do you still have the Miata? If yes, I'm not sure the 86 is faster and it certainly is more balanced...
Old 10-04-2018, 09:53 AM   #87
CatDaddysBBQ

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
It genuinely depends on what you're after.
Honestly, a m3 will still seem somewhat slow compared to the vette, so it's a matter of what the goal is.

If you're trying to make a fun track toy that is (pretty) reliable, dynamic and fun that uses pretty cheap consumables at a fairly slow rate? 86 cars are fantastic for that.

If you're trying to get as close to your corvette for cheaper running costs, the 86 is probably not a great choice. Even with a supercharger it'd feel slow if outright speed is your primary focus. The M3 would be a nice middle ground, but I imagine the running costs would be in between (but possibly closer to the corvette than the 86).

As for the mods, a header and tune will help a BIT, but it won't transform into some fast straight line monster by ANY means. One could argue that the header and tune does more for it as a street car than a track car - the lack of torque dip is a greater gain than the 15-18hp up top is.

That said, what kind of tracks are you going to? If you're on shorter circuits (like 2.25 and under with 8+ turns) you may not care, and LOVE the twins for that. If you're on a larger course with some serious straights they're really going to feel gutless as you wave 3 cars past on every straight section.

Around chicago area where I live, there's a few track options. When I go to Blackhawk Farms (short technical circuit) I honestly don't feel that my frs (with a header/tune) is that slow - not many things can keep up in the twisty bit between t2 and t6, and fine, on the straight I let people pass.

But at Autobahn CC (especially the full 4+ mile configuration) it seems like i'm driving a go-kart. There are multiple passing places where I let half the pack go by some days, but I reel them in during braking zones, turns, etc.

So really, you need to decide what you're looking for. Fun, dynamic and cheap? OR Fun, pretty dynamic, quick(not fast) and medium costs?
CatDaddysBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #88
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDaddysBBQ View Post
Honestly, a m3 will still seem somewhat slow compared to the vette, so it's a matter of what the goal is.

If you're trying to make a fun track toy that is (pretty) reliable, dynamic and fun that uses pretty cheap consumables at a fairly slow rate? 86 cars are fantastic for that.

If you're trying to get as close to your corvette for cheaper running costs, the 86 is probably not a great choice. Even with a supercharger it'd feel slow if outright speed is your primary focus. The M3 would be a nice middle ground, but I imagine the running costs would be in between (but possibly closer to the corvette than the 86).

As for the mods, a header and tune will help a BIT, but it won't transform into some fast straight line monster by ANY means. One could argue that the header and tune does more for it as a street car than a track car - the lack of torque dip is a greater gain than the 15-18hp up top is.

That said, what kind of tracks are you going to? If you're on shorter circuits (like 2.25 and under with 8+ turns) you may not care, and LOVE the twins for that. If you're on a larger course with some serious straights they're really going to feel gutless as you wave 3 cars past on every straight section.

Around chicago area where I live, there's a few track options. When I go to Blackhawk Farms (short technical circuit) I honestly don't feel that my frs (with a header/tune) is that slow - not many things can keep up in the twisty bit between t2 and t6, and fine, on the straight I let people pass.

But at Autobahn CC (especially the full 4+ mile configuration) it seems like i'm driving a go-kart. There are multiple passing places where I let half the pack go by some days, but I reel them in during braking zones, turns, etc.

So really, you need to decide what you're looking for. Fun, dynamic and cheap? OR Fun, pretty dynamic, quick(not fast) and medium costs?
Just wait until you do Road America. Climbing the hill on the front straight takes
CatDaddysBBQ (10-04-2018), CSG Mike (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 01:46 PM   #89
Jamestl

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
Just wait until you do Road America. Climbing the hill on the front straight takes
Yes, but it's a nice mental break where you can think about the lap you just did
Jamestl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:23 PM   #90
Shark_Bait88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamestl View Post
Yes, but it's a nice mental break where you can think about the lap you just did
True. I love Road America, especially if you can get up there in the fall. Easily one of the most scenic race tracks in the country.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:54 PM   #91
CatDaddysBBQ

Drives: '13 FR-S
Garage
Oh, trust me, I fully know it, and I'm anticipating it being hysterical.
CatDaddysBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CatDaddysBBQ For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 04:30 PM   #92
GrandSport

Drives: 13 Viper; 14 BRZ; 90 Miata; 18 AMG
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpvette View Post
I think I'm in the upgrade the Miata camp. Stick an LFX in it,, V8 roadsters makes a kit.

This dude built a monster.

https://www.mazdatalkforum.com/viewt...hp?f=10&t=3528

As a sidebar,,, it fits in the FRS as well. Well sort of.
Kind of a weird deal. The Miata is my firm's car (but I'm the only one who uses it). So I don't want to dump money into it. It's a great car to have, and it will be there for when I want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
@GrandSport do you still have the Miata? If yes, I'm not sure the 86 is faster and it certainly is more balanced...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDaddysBBQ View Post

Unless I get a C5Z06, I'm not approaching the GS's speed or lap times. I'm aware of this. I'm not looking for a GS. I actually want less power (and weight!) and consumables. I'm looking for something between the Miata and GS that I won't get bored with.

Really, a spec boxter would be ideal, but I don't have $30k to drop on this car. Maybe in a year or two I could, if I'm not paying GS operational cost.

As far as tracks: ECR definitely loves power, but they are changing it up a bit. It's probably 50-50 power vs technical now. I'd imagine it will 40-60 after the new layout. MSR-C is between 40-60 and 25-75 depending on the layout we're running. COTA is a huge track, but I'd be driving the Grand Sport there.
GrandSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:50 PM   #93
Jamestl

Drives: None
Quote:
True. I love Road America, especially if you can get up there in the fall. Easily one of the most scenic race tracks in the country.
Yeah it's beautiful. And there are so many areas around the course where you can just go and hang out and watch cars go by. You can do that at other tracks too but it's not the same - RA has the ambiance combination (tree, elevation, etc.) that most tracks simply do not have.
Jamestl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:41 PM   #94
redlined600

Drives: Fr-s
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamestl View Post
Yeah it's beautiful. And there are so many areas around the course where you can just go and hang out and watch cars go by. You can do that at other tracks too but it's not the same - RA has the ambiance combination (tree, elevation, etc.) that most tracks simply do not have.
Now that they put in a paved path along the kettle bottoms

If you are already planning power mods then, imo, just start with a faster car.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:16 PM   #95
Shark_Bait88

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlined600 View Post
Now that they put in a paved path along the kettle bottoms

If you are already planning power mods then, imo, just start with a faster car.
I preferred it before then, when you could sneak down through the woods and get right up by the barrier. When the GT and GTLM cars came through it was deafening, especially the 458s and Corvettes. Though the people like me, who did that, are probably part of why they put the path and gate in. haha
Old 10-05-2018, 12:36 PM   #96
GrandSport

Slight curveball. My friend has a Lotus Elise he'd sell me really cheap. It's a lot more money, but I can't imagine I wouldn't make money selling it in a year.
The Following User Says Thank You to GrandSport For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #97
Shark_Bait88

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSport View Post
Slight curveball. My friend has a Lotus Elise he'd sell me really cheap. It's a lot more money, but I can't imagine I wouldn't make money selling it in a year.
Always buy the Elise.
strat61caster (10-05-2018), Summerwolf (10-05-2018), SuperTom (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 01:19 PM   #98
GrandSport

Quote:
Always buy the Elise.
Life advice: Buy the car, kiss the girl, take the trip. Three things you'll never look back on and regret.

edit: Well, I guess if the plane crashes or you get herpes or something you'd regret it.
The Following User Says Thank You to GrandSport For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (10-05-2018)