follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep

Old 01-08-2016, 09:42 AM   #15
Vision86

Drives: 2015 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukey86 View Post
Most of the roads where I am are 100/110. I live outside the city. Our speed limits here are virtually the same, just in kph rather than miles with US freeway limits being slightly higher due to rounding off the mph. There are roads in the outback that were legally limitless until recently, now they've been reduced to about 140kph I believe.

I find skipping gears the best way to get to the speed limit if you wanna have some fun. Like @FRSBRZGT86FAN I have the berk delete too and I wanna hear it so I do it alot. For 80kph I stay in 2nd and shift to 5th when I hit 80 and for 110 I use third until I reach the limit and shift to 6th.
Yep, heard about the unrestricted limit in the NT. I think it's still going since the government also just extended it by another 74 km.
Vision86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vision86 For This Useful Post:
lukey86 (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 09:48 AM   #16
lukey86
Built Not Bought

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86 ZN6
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision86 View Post
Yep, heard about the unrestricted limit in the NT. I think it's still going since the government also just extended it by another 74 km.
Well its a good thing I don't still live in Townsville then, otherwise I'd be road tripping to Darwin on a regular basis for no apparent reason lol
lukey86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:48 AM   #17
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision86 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I've had my 86 for about 3 weeks now and I came from a 130 HP Corolla. I've noticed that in the 86 there is very little opportunity to fully use the power and I hardly have any chance to go through the rev range. I live in Australia and most of the roads I'm on are either 60 - 80 km/h (37 mph - 49 mph).

Have any of you experienced this? Are there higher speed limits in the States for normal roads? How are the speed limits on US freeways? I find myself just accelerating a bit and I'm already at the speed limit.
My first car was a hand-me-down 125hp '98 Ford Contour with a 4-speed auto. I used all the power. I was almost always foot to the floor in that car. Not that it mattered, 0-60mph took like 12 seconds. I went to a MK6 GTI later, and it was the same story. But I sped a lot more. I think because it was so damn quiet. Even at full throttle and 130 mph, it never felt like enough.

The fr-s is a different story. I rarely find myself exceeding the speed limits by more than 10. I think because of the road and wind noise. But also because getting up to speed does require a lot of revs. I could loaf around in the GTI in 6th at 1200 rpm all day, no issues.

Around here the roads go from 35 to 55 mph. When traffic is light (rare) people move at around 70. The interstate moves at 80 and up, again depending on traffic. When leaving work, I pull out onto a straight road at 55 mph. I usually get to run it through 1st and 2nd. Just running out 1st and briefly flooring it through 2nd to hit 40 or 45 mph is enough. On slower roads, I just wait for the person in front of me to turn, down shift and floor it back to the speed limit.

While I would love to have a GT3 and live by the Autobahn, I kind of find low speed antics to be more fun in this car than the really fast stuff. Less risk also helps.

Well, err, the fastest I ever did in the fr-s was 110 and that during the test drive on a brand new 2015. The dealer just kept telling me to push it. I don't think I have been over 85 in my current car. I see no reason to. No real desire to go faster. If I never went over 50 I would be happy.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mazeroni For This Useful Post:
Vision86 (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 10:04 AM   #18
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
This isn't a documentary?

I still get hard seeing a large supercharger in full whine.

OP. Find some twisty roads. That is where the car shines. Straight line speed has never impressed me, but a neutral slide around a corner ... Also gets me hard.

Seems like I get hard a lot.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:05 AM   #19
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
This isn't a documentary?

I still get hard seeing a large supercharger in full whine.

OP. Find some twisty roads. That is where the car shines. Straight line speed has never impressed me, but a neutral slide around a corner ... Also gets me hard.

Seems like I get hard a lot.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:14 AM   #20
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I have the opposite problem. I go to fast and suck up my gas lol. I like to cruise at 80mph lol. Can it go faster, I've bumped 100 and it has more. But its gradual speed not instant. Our freeways are 75 mph.
RichardsFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:24 AM   #21
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroni View Post
My first car was a hand-me-down 125hp '98 Ford Contour with a 4-speed auto. I used all the power. I was almost always foot to the floor in that car. Not that it mattered, 0-60mph took like 12 seconds. I went to a MK6 GTI later, and it was the same story. But I sped a lot more. I think because it was so damn quiet. Even at full throttle and 130 mph, it never felt like enough.

The fr-s is a different story. I rarely find myself exceeding the speed limits by more than 10. I think because of the road and wind noise. But also because getting up to speed does require a lot of revs. I could loaf around in the GTI in 6th at 1200 rpm all day, no issues.

Around here the roads go from 35 to 55 mph. When traffic is light (rare) people move at around 70. The interstate moves at 80 and up, again depending on traffic. When leaving work, I pull out onto a straight road at 55 mph. I usually get to run it through 1st and 2nd. Just running out 1st and briefly flooring it through 2nd to hit 40 or 45 mph is enough. On slower roads, I just wait for the person in front of me to turn, down shift and floor it back to the speed limit.

While I would love to have a GT3 and live by the Autobahn, I kind of find low speed antics to be more fun in this car than the really fast stuff. Less risk also helps.

Well, err, the fastest I ever did in the fr-s was 110 and that during the test drive on a brand new 2015. The dealer just kept telling me to push it. I don't think I have been over 85 in my current car. I see no reason to. No real desire to go faster. If I never went over 50 I would be happy.
Perception of speed is a real hazard for me. I drive my wife's RVR which is a nice soft ride, quiet and high and I will look down and be doing 30 or 40 KPH over the limit. I would never have even guessed if I didn't look. I have become so used to noise and the road flashing by a few inches under my butt that can no longer judge properly when these things are gone.

Not that I have ever tried it especially on a long empty stretch of highway at 3 am, in perfect driving conditions but did you guys know the fuel cut off comes in just before you bury the needle on the speedometer?
Old 01-08-2016, 10:29 AM   #22
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Thanked 1,289 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Boosted now so the car has this issue even more outside of weekend cruises on the freeway.

Even during my NA stages I found the car to have plentiful power as long as you stay in the high RPM range with a decent header. Getting there was the issue.

The questions you asked are the exact reasons I purchased this vehicle. It's so well balanced and versatile that one cannot go wrong with whichever direction they take their build. This includes leaving it stock.
MokSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MokSpeed For This Useful Post:
Cole (01-08-2016), soulreapersteve (01-08-2016), Tcoat (01-08-2016), Teseo (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 12:20 PM   #23
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
*edit* guess we have 85 now too, didn't know that!
It was on that stretch of road that I learned some cruise controls won't go above 89. Random fact.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kch For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (01-08-2016), Tcoat (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 12:21 PM   #24
imaguitar

Drives: Scion FRS - Hot Lava
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
In California, you really don't get a chance during the day to drive quickly because there's so much traffic practically everywhere. haha
imaguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:24 PM   #25
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Perception of speed is a real hazard for me. I drive my wife's RVR which is a nice soft ride, quiet and high and I will look down and be doing 30 or 40 KPH over the limit. I would never have even guessed if I didn't look. I have become so used to noise and the road flashing by a few inches under my butt that can no longer judge properly when these things are gone.

Not that I have ever tried it especially on a long empty stretch of highway at 3 am, in perfect driving conditions but did you guys know the fuel cut off comes in just before you bury the needle on the speedometer?
Thats why you get a ECU Tek tune are remove the governor
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #26
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Thats why you get a ECU Tek tune are remove the governor
Oh I would never go that fast anyway. That was a purely hypothetical scenario.
Cole (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 12:37 PM   #27
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Oh I would never go that fast anyway. That was a purely hypothetical scenario.
Oh I see how it is
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 12:53 PM   #28
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Basically what FRSBRZGT86FAN said initially. Most people around here go much faster than the posted speed limit. After getting my first ticket after one month of ownership, I only go over about 5 or so. I do tend to push it a bit on stretches of highway where I know cops aren't nearby - helps that I have an awesome radar detector (which I learned is illegal in Australia after talking to a visiting owner last month). I also use a rabbit whose driving like a jackass; they can get pulled over while I laugh as I pass by.

On local streets however, car begs me to push it but I say nope, calm down. We will go have fun soon. Helps downshifts while coming to a stop with the exhaust I have is just so.... yummy.

I also came from a 120hp Corolla. I remember how shitty it was when it came to onramps, highway passes/lane changes, etc. The FRS feels like a supercar (at least how I imagine it) in comparison.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
PureShield (01-08-2016)

Tags
:popcorn:, random tagz