follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question for those who have driven BRZ

(This question has also been posted on the FR-S forum as it applies to both cars and I wanted to hear from as many folks as possible.)

The question is about visibility...first an explanation:

A real peeve of mine are cars that have low windshield heights, meaning you have to lean forward to see any sky or even sometimes to see lights at intersections. I know some cars look better with gunslit-type windows (eg Camaro) but it's a deal-killer for me - as are window-roof junctions that brush your forehead because of an extreme degree of windshield slope.

If you have driven or even sat in the car, can you tell me how it might compare with say a current Corolla, or an Integra in these regards? Or even my own 1st gen Tiburon? (The latter is about as limited as I'd want to get.) For reference I am about 5"11", medium torso height. Thanks.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
Enemies

Drives: '13 SWP Sport-Tech (Limited)
Not exactly a scientific response here so feel free to discard my post, but everybody has said you sit quite low in the car so I can't see it being an issue for anybody in the 5 foot range. People who are around 6'6 or so wouldn't surprise me if they had issues with not being able to see some things properly without having to lean forward at times.
Enemies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
OMNOM
OM NOM NOM NOM

Drives: 2013 Infiniti G37xS Sedan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm 6' and was pleasantly surprised with this aspect. No issues with visibility, but obviously I have limited experience since it was just a test drive.
OMNOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
(K)
They call me..."Ken"...

Drives: '04 Accord V6 MT
Sorry I missed this earlier, but I'm 5'7" and I didn't have any issues with visibility or the rake angle of the windshield. I sat low and slightly reclined but not into gangster lean position...

Granted how I like to sit and what I look at while driving plays a role in this as well, I just want to point out that I won't be looking at skyscrapers or flying superheroes. I have limited experience as well because I didn't really "drive" anyway...
(K) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
Sport-Tech

^ Thanks for the responses. LOL at the superheroes bit - very funny! I find that being able to see some sky when I'm driving, especially in a small car like this, does a lot to compensate for cramped, slightly claustrophobic quarters and really enhances the enjoyment of a country trek.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:30 AM   #6
dookie11

Drives: Girls crazy with his booty
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
All you gotta be concerned about is the rear visibility out the rear passenger windows and the rear window. Also, with the A, B, and C pillars being as large as they are, be careful when crossing intersections and driving in the supermarket parking lot, cuz you might hit an old grandma or stupid kid running across the street.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #7
Lighting Red
Habitual Line Crosser.

Drives: ^ Two of my favorite things.
I found visibility to to excellent in all directions except straight down and straight up. No glass, go figure. I am 5'7" and sight lines for road features such as stop lights or reading an overhead highway sign at the last second are very good. This is NOT like sitting that four wheeled abortion known as the Chevy HHR! Just as well, the BRZ does not make you feel like you are sitting in an armored vehicle the way the Camaro does. The BRZ THANKFULLY bucks the trend of smaller, and smaller greenhouses in cars these days.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
Smudgeous

Drives: 2013 WRB 6MT BRZ Ltd.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
According to TitusDrake on the FR-S side of things (here), he said his sight line is the middle of the windshield, and he is 6'5"

I believe this means you should be in fairly good shape :P
Smudgeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
RedArmy
Subaru Aficionado

Drives: 2013 DGM 6MT Subaru BRZ
Send a message via AIM to RedArmy
When I drove the car I also didn't take notice of any issues in visiblity from either the windshield up front or through the back. I'm 6'1" if that helps at all.
RedArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
Sport-Tech

Thanks all - good news on the windshield view.