follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-29-2017, 05:21 PM   #15
JDM4E

Drives: Honda Accord Euro
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hi guys, can you tell please more about the NVH? I asked about this in a separate thread but people swear that haders do not increase vibrations. Thanks
JDM4E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:55 PM   #16
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM4E View Post
Hi guys, can you tell please more about the NVH? I asked about this in a separate thread but people swear that haders do not increase vibrations. Thanks
Well they shouldn't be increasing vibration from direct contact, but they will make more noise. Every aftermarket header I've seen does not come with a shroud like the stock headers do. In addition to functioning as a heat shield, it's also a noise dampener. Even nice thick walled headers like these P&L will give more localized noise under your feet (and possibly perceived "vibration" albeit slight) - no shroud, and the nose is both direct from the tubes as well as reflected by the undertray. It isn't obnoxious at all though - I noticed it somewhat when I first swapped headers, now I don't notice.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
JDM4E (01-30-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 02:25 AM   #17
kev60625

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have P&L headers, and their other exhaust parts + tune. Really happy with everything and would recommend anything P&L to anyone. I live near their shop and used to take my old wrx to them for anything I needed and will take my brz for future things as well, very good people. I consider their work above other companies, but I guess I'm biased haha
kev60625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:43 AM   #18
Pointmutation

Drives: 2016 ZC6
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM4E View Post
The vibrations under feet I felt were slight, noticeable but slight. Noticed it in my pedals driving it right after swapping, afterwards forgot about it. Mainly clutch pedal. Basically, it was noticeable enough I was like 'wtf?!' but insignificant enough I forgot about it/got used to it the next day.

Ever since swapping headers/op though, it feels like I have more vibrations coming through my steering wheel at times. I'm sensitive to vibrations coming through my wrists (I can't push a shopping cart over a large asphalt parking lot without it irritating my wrists). It's enough that at times I have to take the hand of the irritated wrist off my steering wheel for a bit.

Not saying these are major vibrations (not talking about nasty frame rubbing vibrations), just noticeable by me, in my car, which is my DDer, after header/op swap, with this specific header/op + FP/CBE combo. I haven't tried any other aftermarket headers so wouldn't know about them.

As far as noise, well, no heat shield so there is more noise. Oh, and louder crickets. Haha
Old 04-08-2017, 10:18 PM   #19
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev60625 View Post
I have P&L headers, and their other exhaust parts + tune. Really happy with everything and would recommend anything P&L to anyone. I live near their shop and used to take my old wrx to them for anything I needed and will take my brz for future things as well, very good people. I consider their work above other companies, but I guess I'm biased haha
Been extremely happy with their products as well, and the additional power output (flat torque curve) resulting from it. It's made driving my BRZ the last few years so much more enjoyable.

I hope P&L haven't moved on from the 86 platform though. I see their website is still up, but they don't seem to be on these forums anymore. I realized there's always a new toy to play with in the aftermarket world, just hope they continue to produce & support parts for this car.
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote