follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 06:58 PM   #15
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by becausethexo View Post
I really wish I had a garage, unfortunately it's street parking. My cousin is a mechanic and works on Mustangs religiously, think I should ask him about this?

If he is familiar with the new ones and their exhaust, I don't think it would be that hard to make/install. I think the old guy who had it on his BRZ did it himself and he didn't seem like he was the most "hands on" type of fella.

That being said I have no idea how to do that or where to even start, but someone with the right brains and hands could get it done without too much trouble.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:22 PM   #16
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Try to look at things from his perspective. I used to live in a townhouse and my neighbor had an open-piped Harley that he'd park in his garage. Loud as F. You could hear it coming a mile away. Imagine how fun it was when he'd leave for work at 6 am and my infant son would wake up crying everyday.

Yeah it sucks to have to spend money to fix your car and your neighbor sounds like a douche, but the noise from your car is basically noise pollution that everyone around you has to endure at the expense of their sleep. When I lived in that same townhouse, I switched to a catted header so as not to annoy my neighbors and used my OFT to tune out the cold start. Keeping peace with neighbors is worth it, at least IMO.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 01-22-2019, 07:28 PM   #17
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
I'd say change the exhaust to stock or something similarly quiet or add a cat. However I normally don't respond to hostility so well so cudos to you.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 01-22-2019, 07:29 PM   #18
becausethexo

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2015 Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Okay but I don't understand why it was sold to me "certified and emissions tested" if it's illegal?

I bought it from Oakville Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram Ltd. a reputable dealership.

I also just read the Vehicle Purchase Agreement (which says it's certified and emissions tested) + the actual listing of the car, no mention of it being cat-less or anything like that. Is this normal?
Old 01-22-2019, 07:33 PM   #19
becausethexo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Try to look at things from his perspective. I used to live in a townhouse and my neighbor had an open-piped Harley that he'd park in his garage. Loud as F. You could hear it coming a mile away. Imagine how fun it was when he'd leave for work at 6 am and my infant son would wake up crying everyday.

Yeah it sucks to have to spend money to fix your car and your neighbor sounds like a douche, but the noise from your car is basically noise pollution that everyone around you has to endure at the expense of their sleep. When I lived in that same townhouse, I switched to a catted header so as not to annoy my neighbors and used my OFT to tune out the cold start. Keeping peace with neighbors is worth it, at least IMO.
Isn't that the same thing as me just not turning on my car and letting it sit (obnoxiously loud), but instead driving it off right away (which makes it quitier almost as soon as i hit drive/reverse)? Is that not recommended?
Old 01-22-2019, 07:36 PM   #20
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I wish I knew. I bought it used. I didn't even know it was cat-less until my dealership told me during a service.

I really wish I had a garage, unfortunately it's street parking. My cousin is a mechanic and works on Mustands religiously, think I should ask him about this?

Yes, If your cousin is a mechanic, this will be easy for him

I don't know this much about cars.
Try to figure out what you have (or don't have). Having at least 1 full Cat in the mix will help a lot. I would start with the front pipe. If it is a straight thru track pipe (no cat or resonator) that's going to make it loud and raspy. Even a hi flow cat in the front pipe is loud (like Berk) if you have a cat less header. Next look at the Muffler (axle back). Take pictures, members here will be able to ID anything you may have.
If the previous owner just replaced the OEM components with after market pieces (not custom exhaust), it should be pretty easy put the OEM parts back on. Try to find someone else on the forum local to you who has modded their exhaust and wants to get rid of their OEM stuff (cheap or free). Keep the peace with your neighbors!
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2019, 07:40 PM   #21
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Does this change the loud-ness when actually driving and hitting the road?
of course not, it just gets rid of the high RPM idle that you get on cold starts which is merely for emissions purposes with the cat which ya don't gots..

Quote:
I don't know this much about cars.

As I'm writing this and hearing this very loud train pass me, I should also mention that yea, there's a train that goes by here every morning around 2-5am a few times as well. It's not the quiestest area during the day for car traffic, or night with the train. I feel like he's blaming other sounds
that perhaps isn't even me and thinking "it must be that guy down the street with his loud car" all the time.
well it sounds like you are being a bit stubborn you said it yourself, gf thinks it sounds like you're starting up a rocket ship! First time I've heard that on this forum so clearly it is pretty loud.. Unfortunately you can't please everyone and getting the police involved would probably only add fuel to the fire. I would get rid of the high RPM cold start and just ignore the dude..

Good read for understanding OFT..
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74754
Old 01-22-2019, 07:52 PM   #22
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Does this change the loud-ness when actually driving and hitting the road?

No.

And if you have the header, you'd better already have a tune on the car...

And if you didn't get a device or info on what kind of tune, things could be... interesting.

Get a picture and we can probably help you sort what's on the car.

If you didn't purchase private party, I'm surprised they could sell it catless... but it's probably worth getting pics of all the parts anyhow just in case it's just a catless header they noted, and you still have a catted frontpipe.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:53 PM   #23
becausethexo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
Try to figure out what you have (or don't have). Having at least 1 full Cat in the mix will help a lot. I would start with the front pipe. If it is a straight thru track pipe (no cat or resonator) that's going to make it loud and raspy. Even a hi flow cat in the front pipe is loud (like Berk) if you have a cat less header. Next look at the Muffler (axle back). Take pictures, members here will be able to ID anything you may have.
If the previous owner just replaced the OEM components with after market pieces (not custom exhaust), it should be pretty easy put the OEM parts back on. Try to find someone else on the forum local to you who has modded their exhaust and wants to get rid of their OEM stuff (cheap or free). Keep the peace with your neighbors!
I feel like for a reputable dealership to have sold me a car with passed emissions in a province where apparently this is all illegal, it can't be THAT modified? Does that give any indication what might have or more importantly what wouldn't have been done to this car?
Old 01-22-2019, 08:10 PM   #24
Jesse36m3

Drives: JDL Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuang View Post
I did an OFT cold start tune and went from this:

... to this:

Neighbors are much happier.

Hey we have the same license plate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse36m3 For This Useful Post:
dhuang (01-23-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 08:15 PM   #25
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I feel like for a reputable dealership to have sold me a car with passed emissions in a province where apparently this is all illegal, it can't be THAT modified? Does that give any indication what might have or more importantly what wouldn't have been done to this car?
Simply "passing" emissions test depends on what they're checking. In my state (MD) it's a OBDII hookup and a cursory "look" under the car with a mirror to look for whatever it is they're pretending to look for.
I'm running with a supercharger, E85, custom exhaust (1 hi flow cat) and I passed emissions.
Post some pics, without them, we have no idea what you have.
The Following User Says Thank You to BirdTRD For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (01-23-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 08:16 PM   #26
VIP BRZ

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Dude... you start your car at the house 7 times a day? Once or Twice a week between 2am - 5am?

i'd complain too,

If you absolutely cannot part with your fighter jet exhaust, park like a mile away and walk to your car (your street parking anyway)
Old 01-22-2019, 08:43 PM   #27
becausethexo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
Simply "passing" emissions test depends on what they're checking. In my state (MD) it's a OBDII hookup and a cursory "look" under the car with a mirror to look for whatever it is they're pretending to look for.
I'm running with a supercharger, E85, custom exhaust (1 hi flow cat) and I passed emissions.
Post some pics, without them, we have no idea what you have.
Unfortunately I don't have pictures underneath (yet) and we just endured a pretty heavy storm.. so.

I have a picture under the hood, that's all.

https://prnt.sc/mau6jc
Old 01-22-2019, 08:51 PM   #28
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Or...!! the most logical... file a police report.
They would come, take your version of the story, talk to the neighbor and get his, ask you to start the car, write you an altered exhaust ticket ($110), depending on what borough of Toronto you are in and what their bylaw is write you an excessive noise ticket ($300 to $500) and write you a fix it ticket. Not only would you end up getting a quieter exhaust you would pay loads of fines on top of that.
Loads of people will try to tell you that under 95db is "legal". It is not. The law says you can not alter it to change the sound end of story.
If you are ever down London way I have a brand new stock cat back you can have for free.
The dealer sold you a car equipped with an illegally altered exhaust system and falsified an emissions report since it can not possibly pass with a cat removed.

(1) No person shall operate a motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle unless it is equipped with a muffler that is,

(a) operating;

(b) in good working order; and

(c) sufficient to prevent excessive or unusual sound and excessive or unusual smoke.

(1.1) No person shall operate a motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle equipped with a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, hollywood muffler, by-pass or similar device

(1.2) No person shall modify a muffler to increase the sound output of a motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle.

(1.3) No person shall install a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, hollywood muffler, by-pass or similar device on a motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle
Dadhawk (01-23-2019), mazeroni (01-23-2019)

Closed Thread