follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #1
darksnyder

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 (Hot Lave)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[Solved] Bought the AT 86, unusually slow. Any ideas?

Hey guys!

Although I have been following the forums even before I got the car, but finally its my first post here!

So I bought a '13 Toyota 86 (pic of my baby attached). My first car and damn I love every second driving it. Sadly, its an AT. Would have loved to go for the manual as the real fun lies there, but sadly here in Dubai if you own an AT license you cannot drive manual. So was limited to buying AT only.

Well, back to my question. So I got the car a month or two. Now I know these cars are not meant for straight line speeds but mine seems to be quite a bit slower which I find very unusual. The AT normally hit 0-60 in the 7-8 sec range. However, I did some random 0-60 runs and it would take something around 11-12 seconds.

Now like I said our cars are not meant for straight line speeds so 0-60 measurements are not of a big deal, but then even for an AT, it seems to be very unusual.

My car is more or less stock. Just got the 82,000km service done which was mostly just an oil change (engine, trans and differential). The only mod is an HKS drop-in filter.

Any ideas why or feedback as to why?

Thanks

Update: Got it more or less fixed. DI issue. Got new injectors and car seems to be running fine now.
Attached Images

Last edited by darksnyder; 05-31-2018 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Update. Issue resolved.
darksnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darksnyder For This Useful Post:
86kahl (04-15-2018), Lonewolf (05-31-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
No ideas but yes you are right. My AT did 7 to 8 seconds stock. Something wrong with 11 to 12.

Are you doing it in manual mode, all traction devices off?
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:17 PM   #3
darksnyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
No ideas but yes you are right. My AT did 7 to 8 seconds stock. Something wrong with 11 to 12.

Are you doing it in manual mode, all traction devices off?
I tried it in sports mode and no, I did not have traction and other nannies off. But does it make such a big difference? As far as I know, keeping traction and other bells n whistles off help you shave off like 1 second. But here its around 4 seconds.

Is it because of the TC? Is it soo aggressive that it holds back the car soo much?

PS. first car, rear wheel drive, havn't grown balls big enough to turn them off on the streets.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:22 PM   #4
dutchman1

Drives: 2017 86 6-Speed
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Optimal tire pressures, all electronic aids off (they try to help you regain traction as quick as possible, not go as fast as possible), and practice.

Your launch is absolutely critical, and your shift points have to be quick and in a very narrow rpm window to find optimal times.

While 11 seconds does seem slow, a bad launch, early shifting, and hot temps can probably put it there.

There still might be an issue, but unless you're extracting close to the maximum time from the car we won't really know.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:32 PM   #5
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksnyder View Post
I tried it in sports mode and no, I did not have traction and other nannies off. But does it make such a big difference? As far as I know, keeping traction and other bells n whistles off help you shave off like 1 second. But here its around 4 seconds.

Is it because of the TC? Is it soo aggressive that it holds back the car soo much?

PS. first car, rear wheel drive, havn't grown balls big enough to turn them off on the streets.
TC needs to be off to extract the most out of it. I am sure if you youtube "launching auto frs" something will come up.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #6
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
I also own an AT twin.

That's really slow, assuming you are doing everything correctly to maximize acceleration. Are you sure that the transmission is not slipping? From your post is appears that the car has about 50,000miles on it and you've owned it for about 2 months. It may be possible that the previous owner abused the transmission...

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:35 PM   #7
darksnyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman1 View Post
Optimal tire pressures, all electronic aids off (they try to help you regain traction as quick as possible, not go as fast as possible), and practice.

Your launch is absolutely critical, and your shift points have to be quick and in a very narrow rpm window to find optimal times.

While 11 seconds does seem slow, a bad launch, early shifting, and hot temps can probably put it there.

There still might be an issue, but unless you're extracting close to the maximum time from the car we won't really know.
Maybe you're right, guess I need to find an empty straight, turn off TC and try to optimize the run and then see how close I get to the 7-8 sec mark.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:44 PM   #8
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
What kind of gas are you using? Climate + inadequate knock resistance will hurt performance quite a bit.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:03 PM   #9
darksnyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
TC needs to be off to extract the most out of it. I am sure if you youtube "launching auto frs" something will come up.
I did, found nothing of worth. Although I have read on the forums that if you hold the brake around 50% mark you can push the revs up to 2k and launch. I did try once, but managed up to 1.5k. Needs more practice maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutbob View Post
I also own an AT twin.

That's really slow, assuming you are doing everything correctly to maximize acceleration. Are you sure that the transmission is not slipping? From your post is appears that the car has about 50,000miles on it and you've owned it for about 2 months. It may be possible that the previous owner abused the transmission...
Not really sure if the previous owner did, but the car was in pretty good condition. No scratches, nothing major mechanical when got it inspected. No such signs of track abuse. Serviced at authorized toyota dealer at every 7,500km interval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
What kind of gas are you using? Climate + inadequate knock resistance will hurt performance quite a bit.
Outside temps would be around low 30 degrees C. I'm using what they call here is 98 octane.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:10 PM   #10
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
They have separate AT and MT licenses? What a joke, a bad one
Old 04-14-2018, 02:42 PM   #11
darksnyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
Haha yes indeed, they have seperate licenses for AT and MT. Though MT can drive both.

But due to this, buying an MT becomes a very big drawback here. Usually we switch cars with buddies, like if I need practicality I will exchange with my 2 door coupe with my buddy who has a 4 door sedan. So as almost everyone has an AT license, it becomes a handicap if you get yourself a MT. Cant trade with buddies, wife cant drive, and so on. And hence, poor resale values of MT as well.

A used '13 86 MT might run a difference of up to $2,000 as compared to similar AT.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:01 PM   #12
vagthomas

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Suggest following to be considered:

1) Outside temperature during your tests. You said around 30, correct? Its a little bit high, but not that much to be at this range of seconds!
2) Take traction control off during your tests!! It delays you quite a lot if you lose grip.
3) Air Inlet and Exhaust outlet system need to be checked for any air/exhaust leakages.
4) If everything is ok and you are still above 10 sec, then i suggest to go and make a dyno test. Depending on the dyno type, somebody from here will be able to judge engine condition (i.e. mine in Dynapack was 167 whp).
vagthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:00 PM   #13
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,339 Times in 4,125 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
Off topic I know but it's the same in Australia. I don't see the joke regardless of how poorly it's told..

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:01 PM   #14
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Under terrible circumstances/conditions in auto mode all nannies on not even in sport mode no launch. A stock auto 86 should never hit 0-60 in even 9seconds. Something is off.

Are you using high tier gas? You should get something that can datalog, or a Openflash tablet that can log and flash tunes. It should show you something is off and point you in the right direction. And once you get resolved if you have OFT a ots stage 1 should help improve drive ability and performance a little.

Last edited by 86TOYO2k17; 04-14-2018 at 07:08 PM.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote