follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-12-2018, 08:01 AM   #1
prizmracer

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ 50th anniversary
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ apple carplay skips/glitches

I have a 2018 BRZ limited. Carplay seems to work fine except for audio playback that has momentary skips/glitches in the music. It happens with streaming as well as music stored on the phone. It doesn't happen over bluetooth. It happens over different lightning cables. The internet reports similar problems with other new subies.

Has anyone found a solution? Does anyone have the same problem?
prizmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:07 AM   #2
Kronos

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have the same problem! And it sucks. No solution yet but now that it’s hot outside it doesn’t seem to happen. Maybe due to a bad soldering job on my end on installing.

It tends to happen when my value is low. How about you?
Kronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #3
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Might be worth contacting Subaru of America about the issue. Hopefully a firmware patch clears up the issues.
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #4
Kronos

Forgot to mention. Only happens via usb for me too . Bluetooth works fine
Old 06-12-2018, 07:09 PM   #5
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
I have the same problem! And it sucks. No solution yet but now that it’s hot outside it doesn’t seem to happen. Maybe due to a bad soldering job on my end on installing.

It tends to happen when my value is low. How about you?
You have an aftermarket head unit with CarPlay and the original poster has the OEM head unit with CarPlay (introduced on the 2018 BRZ) so I’m not sure that your experience is entirely relevant.

To the OP, as you’ve found, CarPlay has had issues in Subies since it’s introduction in the Impreza... so the Impreza forums may be the best place to look. Cables are one of the more common sources of issues with AA/CarPlay, but you’ve already tried several so that can probably be ruled out. If a firmware update to fix the issue doesn’t come out, you could always sell the OEM unit for a decent amount and go aftermarket.
This is why I was happy to buy a 2017 model and install my own Pioneer Android Auto/CarPlay head unit which has had zero issues.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCtoBRZ For This Useful Post:
Chimera (06-27-2018), Kronos (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 09:02 PM   #6
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
There's also a glitch with the iOS 11.3 and newer firmwares that causes audio stuttering and playback issues. So it's possible that it's not your car and just the phone. I have the same problem but It's consistent throughout the day when I play music off my phone on a stereo.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #7
Kronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
You have an aftermarket head unit with CarPlay and the original poster has the OEM head unit with CarPlay (introduced on the 2018 BRZ) so I’m not sure that your experience is entirely relevant.

To the OP, as you’ve found, CarPlay has had issues in Subies since it’s introduction in the Impreza... so the Impreza forums may be the best place to look. Cables are one of the more common sources of issues with AA/CarPlay, but you’ve already tried several so that can probably be ruled out. If a firmware update to fix the issue doesn’t come out, you could always sell the OEM unit for a decent amount and go aftermarket.

This is why I was happy to buy a 2017 model and install my own Pioneer Android Auto/CarPlay head unit which has had zero issues.

Ohhh thanks for informing me. I had no idea. Didn’t know it was an open option or standard nowadays. Legit
Old 06-14-2018, 07:27 AM   #8
prizmracer

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ 50th anniversary
Thank you all for the advice. Just upgraded the phone to 11.4. I will try it out and report back.

As for switching the headunit, I am on the fence about swapping the whole audio system. I have two other cars (Mazda's) with 6 speaker bose. Although Im not a bose person (low on the price to sound scale) the stereo on my 2011 Mazda 3 is more musical to my ears.

I see why mods are so appealing for the brz. The core of the car is a dream but stock tires/stereo/exhaust could definitely use some tweeking.
prizmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:58 AM   #9
ermagawd

Drives: Crystal White Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post

do you have the model number for your pioneer head unit?
ermagawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:20 PM   #10
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermagawd View Post
do you have the model number for your pioneer head unit?
Pioneer AVH-2330NEX is the model I have, but any of the Pioneer double din units should be a good choice.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:21 PM   #11
rmicroys

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Sport-Tech RS
Sorry to dig up an old thread, can't find anything newer. Anybody else have a solution to this? My 2018 BRZ does this and it's rather annoying.
rmicroys is offline   Reply With Quote