follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 01-18-2018, 01:33 PM   #29
Jamestl

Drives: None
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I reread his post this morning and he meant $35 for the two SPC bolts. I just put in the lower bolt this past weekend and seems to be legit, similar experience, low to mid -1 degrees with just the upper cam bolt, seems to be over -2 with both, but I'm changing too much at once to be accurate about it.

If I had a time machine I'd just buy the lower bolt and do what you suggest and save myself ~$20 (it wasn't well known that the 14mm for the lower hole was easily available, everybody listed the 16mm upper bolt as the only camber bolt that fit), but I think slipping is more likely to happen by doing that, the two cam bolts feel pretty solid as long as they're torqued down.

edit: fwiw I got the car aligned in September, a week or two later I got rear ended, two weekends ago I put alignment tools on the car and read within 0.1 degrees of what the alignment shop set them at, so properly torqued a good cam bolt should be solid. That's through a car crash and several thousand miles of driving, a couple autox events sliding around.

HI there -- for the sake of those who come after and look at this thread for information (god know I do that plenty!), can you clarify your post? I read your post a few times and couldn't quite make out what you would do as the first paragraph seems to contradict the second one.
Jamestl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #30
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamestl View Post
HI there -- for the sake of those who come after and look at this thread for information (god know I do that plenty!), can you clarify your post? I read your post a few times and couldn't quite make out what you would do as the first paragraph seems to contradict the second one.
For full adustability, you need 4 bolts in total but the bolts are sold in sets of 2 so you need to buy 2 sets of bolts. Someone mentioned they found a set of SPC bolts for $18 which would be just a little over $35 for the 2 sets.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:10 PM   #31
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Having two cam bolts from SPC (upper and lower, 16mm and 14mm) is nice, they feel consistent and I have had good reliability with the 16mm bolts. However I am cheap and would have used the lower 14mm SPC bolt and swapped out the bolt in the upper hole for the OE lower bolt (as per the OEM camber adjustment method) if I had known that was an option.

2x SPC bolt - nice, not too hard on the wallet
1x SPC bolt + 1x OE camber bolt - cheaper alternative

I fully believe both options are viable to get more than -2 degrees and I'm using camber plates to get over -3 (I actually had the camber plates before the camber bolts). Not everybody wants maximum camber, or certain rulesets may limit the options available, I just wanted to chime in that I've got 2x camber bolts in my car and I'm happy with them, I don't think it was a waste of money, but on the flipside the 1x aftermarket bolt 1x OE bolt is certainly a viable option imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
And yeah, I didn't realize SPC bolts were that cheap now (I paid like $20-25 for mine IIRC and I thought that was about the cost of one set from Whiteline lol).
Whiteline bolts were like $40 initially. I fell for that one because I wasn't certain on the SPC's working.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:25 PM   #32
Jamestl

Drives: None
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Having two cam bolts from SPC (upper and lower, 16mm and 14mm) is nice, they feel consistent and I have had good reliability with the 16mm bolts. However I am cheap and would have used the lower 14mm SPC bolt and swapped out the bolt in the upper hole for the OE lower bolt (as per the OEM camber adjustment method) if I had known that was an option.

2x SPC bolt - nice, not too hard on the wallet
1x SPC bolt + 1x OE camber bolt - cheaper alternative

I fully believe both options are viable to get more than -2 degrees and I'm using camber plates to get over -3 (I actually had the camber plates before the camber bolts). Not everybody wants maximum camber, or certain rulesets may limit the options available, I just wanted to chime in that I've got 2x camber bolts in my car and I'm happy with them, I don't think it was a waste of money, but on the flipside the 1x aftermarket bolt 1x OE bolt is certainly a viable option imho.

Got it, thank you for clarifying. For my knowledge (since I don't have a way to do my own alignment measurements), do you think the 1x SPC + 1 OE camber bolt option gets you as much camber as 2x SPC?

My shop told me no, but who knows maybe they just didn't push hard enough or something... The shop owner had a BRZ so I assume they weren't just bullshitting me (and I didn't buy the 2nd set of SPCs from them, so they weren't pushing products on me).
Jamestl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #33
strat61caster
-

Quote:
do you think the 1x SPC + 1 OE camber bolt option gets you as much camber as 2x SPC?
I honestly don't know and don't really plan on testing it since I already have the upper bolt, I'm sure others will report in down the road as more and more get modified for hard driving. I have heard of some people struggling to get more than low -2 while there are some that claim -3 or more is possible with 1x spc+1x OE.

People talk about dyno's reading differently and really it's not like alignment racks are magically perfectly accurate either, a car may read high on one and low on the other, how the car is rolled on and off the rack, and the state of repair the rack is in could all affect the reading. Along with differences from car to car. Personally I would be skeptical if they claim -2 and up isn't achievable with a pair of bolts, no matter which pair.
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 01:46 AM   #34
TofuJoe
Ohne Titel

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP ISM
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Important question - stock springs or lowering springs? If your car is lowered, that adds more camber.
TofuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:45 AM   #35
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TofuJoe View Post
Important question - stock springs or lowering springs? If your car is lowered, that adds more camber.
For clarification, only on the rear, the front does not gain camber with lowering.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #36
TofuJoe
Ohne Titel

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP ISM
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
For clarification, only on the rear, the front does not gain camber with lowering.
That doesn’t sound right. I got -1.4 max in the front on stock springs with a set of camber bolts. Switched to RCE Yellows (20mm drop) and got -1.9 in the front.
TofuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #37
Icecreamtruk

Quote:
That doesn’t sound right. I got -1.4 max in the front on stock springs with a set of camber bolts. Switched to RCE Yellows (20mm drop) and got -1.9 in the front.
Mcpherson struts dont gain negative camber that way, thats basically the number 1 reason we need more camber in the front than the rear. You can google it up a bit more if you arent convinced, but because you changed several suspension components and were able to get more camber doesnt mean you can assume 1 of those changes only was responsible for the extra camber.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #38
n0thing

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
If you look at a MacPherson strut diagram, the camber remains unchanged regardless of the spring height.

n0thing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to n0thing For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 11:44 AM   #39
OND

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0thing View Post
If you look at a MacPherson strut diagram, the camber remains unchanged regardless of the spring height.
As long as lower control arm is below horizontal in steady state, that setup should give negative camber under compression. Much smaller than double wishbone setups, but still...
OND is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OND For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 11:46 AM   #40
strat61caster
-

Quote:
There's potential for a little bit of camber gain on the front of this car due to lowering depending on the specifics of the suspension geometry (mostly it has to do with the arc of the lower control arm as the car is lowered) but half a degree isn't from lowering. Either the cam bolts got adjusted or you're seeing the car settle differently over time or that alignment rack just reads high.

Edit:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (01-19-2018), TofuJoe (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 01:04 PM   #41
Icecreamtruk

Quote:
Originally Posted by OND View Post
As long as lower control arm is below horizontal in steady state, that setup should give negative camber under compression. Much smaller than double wishbone setups, but still...
Yeah, you could gain maybe 0.1 or 0.2 degress, but thats about it. Thats not "gaining" camber, that does nothing. For comparaison's sake, the same drop in the rear woudl get you over 1 degre of negative camber. Also, when you lower the car the control arm goes up, usually above the horizontal line.