follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 01-17-2018, 07:14 PM   #15
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpedo View Post
No oil cooler here, no problem. I run a quality 5w30 and have great luck with oil pressure. I'm assuming most people here are recommending an oil cooler due to pressure problems? Run a quality oil and the temps aren't a problem.

Otherwise, if you're a good driver who is going to push the car, you'll probably overheat the brakes (depending on track design).

If you're going to have the car for a while, and if you haven't done your trans/diff oil recently you may as well grab Motul Gear 300 and change it.

Bluetooth elm327 and torque to monitor temps.

Forget BBK for now.
Yes, me too. I think we can get away with it because of more moderate ambient temperatures. I rarely get temperatures over 28c which is only about 82f.. I've got a few friends in SoCal who regularly report tracking in 90f all the way up to 104f which is like 32c to 40c.. just a different level of ambient heat at play here.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
JazzleSAURUS (01-18-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 09:34 PM   #16
Jamestl

Drives: None
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You’ll want max camber on the front so use two adj camber bolts. I was only able to get 1.2ish with one until someone at a track day told me he was using two. So I tried it and got 2.7. Cheapest way to get camber on the front (35 bucks + alignment).
Jamestl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:20 PM   #17
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamestl View Post
You’ll want max camber on the front so use two adj camber bolts. I was only able to get 1.2ish with one until someone at a track day told me he was using two. So I tried it and got 2.7. Cheapest way to get camber on the front (35 bucks + alignment).
SPC bolts are cheaper then $35 and exactly the same as the Whiteline.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (01-18-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 10:33 PM   #18
Jamestl

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Uh... agreed? Let me rephrase b/c it seems like i was not clear. You use TWO pairs of SPC bolts on the front to get to 2.x camber.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:36 PM   #19
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Uh... agreed? Let me rephrase b/c it seems like i was not clear. You use TWO pairs of SPC bolts on the front to get to 2.x camber.
Or just get SPC for the bottom and take the OEM bottom bolts and throw them in the top (since they are the same as the OEM crash bolts). You can get -2.5 or possibly more with just one set of eccentric.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
JazzleSAURUS (01-18-2018), strat61caster (01-18-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 10:37 PM   #20
Surok
Wise old man

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
the bare minimum is a helmet and an open mind.
Surok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:39 PM   #21
Jamestl

Quote:
Or just get SPC for the bottom and take the OEM bottom bolts and throw them in the top (since they are the same as the OEM crash bolts). You can get -2.5 or possibly more with just one set of eccentric.
I asked my shop to do exactly that after reading about it here and they couldn't get more than 1.2 on one side and 1.4 on the other side. With two SPC bolts per side they got to 2.x. Don't know why, but it seems that the SPC ones offer more adjustability than the OEM crash bolts...
Old 01-17-2018, 10:42 PM   #22
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
I asked my shop to do exactly that after reading about it here and they couldn't get more than 1.2 on one side and 1.4 on the other side. With two SPC bolts per side they got to 2.x. Don't know why, but it seems that the SPC ones offer more adjustability than the OEM crash bolts...
I would question the shop on that one. I have ran -2.6 and many others have gotten the same with the SPC/Crash Bolt combo. One guy almost got -3 iirc

But as they say, YMMV lol

The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (01-18-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 10:48 PM   #23
Jamestl

Quote:
I would question the shop on that one. I have ran -2.6 and many others have gotten the same with the SPC/Crash Bolt combo. One guy almost got -3 iirc

But as they say, YMMV lol
I'm not doubting you. The bolts are different so I can see why you might get more with two SPC vs. SPC+crash bolt combo. But regardless, the person that I heard about the two bolt solution from also had the same issue - could not get above 1.9 with just one SPC bolt + crash bolt. Maybe we just had shittier builds but it works.

Put another way, if you're going to pay $150 for an alignment, and you know for sure that two SPC bolts will get you in the mid 2s, why not just get it? I wish I found out about this sooner so I didn't have to go back and pay the same cost again for something that I could've gotten done right the first time around. FOr $18 bucks it seems like it's a worthwhile trade off.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:15 PM   #24
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
I'm not doubting you. The bolts are different so I can see why you might get more with two SPC vs. SPC+crash bolt combo. But regardless, the person that I heard about the two bolt solution from also had the same issue - could not get above 1.9 with just one SPC bolt + crash bolt. Maybe we just had shittier builds but it works.

Put another way, if you're going to pay $150 for an alignment, and you know for sure that two SPC bolts will get you in the mid 2s, why not just get it? I wish I found out about this sooner so I didn't have to go back and pay the same cost again for something that I could've gotten done right the first time around. FOr $18 bucks it seems like it's a worthwhile trade off.

You ever experience any slipping with two eccentric bolts? How many alignments have you done since and was camber off compared to the prior alignment? I had heard its a risk but it's just been internet speculation basically so I'm curious.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:25 PM   #25
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I reread his post this morning and he meant $35 for the two SPC bolts. I just put in the lower bolt this past weekend and seems to be legit, similar experience, low to mid -1 degrees with just the upper cam bolt, seems to be over -2 with both, but I'm changing too much at once to be accurate about it.

If I had a time machine I'd just buy the lower bolt and do what you suggest and save myself ~$20 (it wasn't well known that the 14mm for the lower hole was easily available, everybody listed the 16mm upper bolt as the only camber bolt that fit), but I think slipping is more likely to happen by doing that, the two cam bolts feel pretty solid as long as they're torqued down.

edit: fwiw I got the car aligned in September, a week or two later I got rear ended, two weekends ago I put alignment tools on the car and read within 0.1 degrees of what the alignment shop set them at, so properly torqued a good cam bolt should be solid. That's through a car crash and several thousand miles of driving, a couple autox events sliding around.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:05 PM   #26
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I reread his post this morning and he meant $35 for the two SPC bolts. I just put in the lower bolt this past weekend and seems to be legit, similar experience, low to mid -1 degrees with just the upper cam bolt, seems to be over -2 with both, but I'm changing too much at once to be accurate about it.

If I had a time machine I'd just buy the lower bolt and do what you suggest and save myself ~$20 (it wasn't well known that the 14mm for the lower hole was easily available, everybody listed the 16mm upper bolt as the only camber bolt that fit), but I think slipping is more likely to happen by doing that, the two cam bolts feel pretty solid as long as they're torqued down.

edit: fwiw I got the car aligned in September, a week or two later I got rear ended, two weekends ago I put alignment tools on the car and read within 0.1 degrees of what the alignment shop set them at, so properly torqued a good cam bolt should be solid. That's through a car crash and several thousand miles of driving, a couple autox events sliding around.

There was a lot of confusing info early on I recall with the 16mm vs. 14mm debate. But good to hear on the bolts holding. I figured if one bolt holds no reason two shouldn't, but I'm a suspension noob still so like to hear first hand experiences.

And yeah, I didn't realize SPC bolts were that cheap now (I paid like $20-25 for mine IIRC and I thought that was about the cost of one set from Whiteline lol).

Old 01-18-2018, 01:13 PM   #27
Jamestl

Quote:
You ever experience any slipping with two eccentric bolts? How many alignments have you done since and was camber off compared to the prior alignment? I had heard its a risk but it's just been internet speculation basically so I'm curious.
I've had no alignments since so can't compare exactly. From just eyeing it though, nothing has changed and i've been on track prob 5 days on it and a few thousand miles.

Logically, I think you have to believe either that 1) SPC bolts hold or, 2) they do not hold. If they do not, it's not a question of 1 or 2 per side, they simply do not work. There's a scenario for 3, which is that the top does not hold but the bottom does hold, but having seen how they're installed I do not have a good reason to explain why that would be the case.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jamestl For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (01-18-2018), Hades (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 01:24 PM   #28
Jamestl

Quote:
There was a lot of confusing info early on I recall with the 16mm vs. 14mm debate. But good to hear on the bolts holding. I figured if one bolt holds no reason two shouldn't, but I'm a suspension noob still so like to hear first hand experiences.

And yeah, I didn't realize SPC bolts were that cheap now (I paid like $20-25 for mine IIRC and I thought that was about the cost of one set from Whiteline lol).
You're right -- they are a bit more expensive than I remembered, so let's say for argument sake that they are 25 bucks. I think the question to maxing camber is the following:

Since you're already getting one set of SPC bolts and need an alignment, and they are effectively sunk costs, what do you need to believe for you to purchase a second set of SPC bolts vs. using the 14mm bolt from the factory? If your alignment cost is $150 then you need to believe that the 14mm would get you into the 2.x range at least 83% of the time (125/150). If you think the probability is lower than that, then you buy the second set of SPCs and understand that it's the right financial decision. Alternatively, you settle for whatever the shop can get from one set of SPC bolts. This does not take into account your time (just the cost of an alignment).

Now I have no idea what the success ratio of getting 2.x camber with one set of SPCs + 14mm crash bolt and I mean that genuinely. I found out through experience that one was not enough, *for my car* You and others seem to have had better experience, and so the only thing that's clear is that there's no clear answer on the question.

All I'm saying is that had I known that another $25 bucks would have *guaranteed* me camber in the 2.x range then I would have spent the money the first time, because my time (close to 3 hours b/t driving back and forth + actual alignment time + gas...) is more valuable than the $25 bucks and it's just not worth the hassle.

So take it for what it's worth. Just putting my own experience out there as an option.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jamestl For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (01-18-2018), Hades (01-18-2018)