follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-18-2017, 10:15 PM   #15
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,189 Times in 8,583 Posts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Imagine my shock when I bought a used OFT from the US for 500 CAD and was hit with a 144 CAD duty charge.
I sold the oft to Cole. I was shocked, they said nothing of these fees. I told them I was sending a gift to a friend.

Anyone shipping to Canada, do your homework.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Cole (09-18-2017), FRSToyota86 (09-19-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 11:47 PM   #16
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
I sold the oft to Cole. I was shocked, they said nothing of these fees. I told them I was sending a gift to a friend.

Anyone shipping to Canada, do your homework.
Guess you know to use USPS next time, and I know to request it.

I've done a few transactions since with people from the US (for computer stuff) highest one being around $200 CAD. Shipped with USPS, no fees. I wonder how that works.

Edit: That came off far more spiteful than intended... My bad
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
FRSToyota86 (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 10:12 AM   #17
Swift
I just Drive.

Drives: in the womb still
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
In MN/WI the company I work and common knowledge is that FedEx screws up everything and is late etc.

HOWEVER, we have noticed as of that last 6mo UPS has been slipping up a little bit.

-92' Acura Legend 5spd coupe twin turbo project
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
FRSToyota86 (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #18
FRSToyota86

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
After talking local distribution center manager, I figured out what the main difference between FedEx and UPS is, and why it takes UPS deliveries to be delayed on regular basis.

FedEx home delivery offers free Saturday delivery, on the UPS ground requires the shipper to request for and pay an additional cost for Saturday delivery...
Vortech V3 Supercharger| 12 PSI|E85 MotoEast Flexfuel kit|Crawford AOS| Mishimoto Oil Cooler|3"Perrin Resonated CBE| 3" JDL Front/Over Pipe|OpenFlash Performance Headers|Exedy Stage 2 Ceramic Clutch |Yonaka Coilovers|17x9 O.Z. Wheels| 245/40r/17|TRD Brake Pads|Perrin Master Cylinder Brace |ChaseBay SSBrake Lines|CF Side Fins|OEM Shark Fin Athena|Yospeed Console Plaque|R/T Shift Knob|Fog Lights|Backup Camera|Navigation| |TRD Quickshifter|Motul Gear Oil|
FRSToyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:05 PM   #19
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Making friends with my local UPS driver is a big plus for me. He always knows im working on something with the Vette or 86. We have brief convos about the next mod and I always thank him. He usually comes to my neighbor last since im usually working during the day in case theres something to sign. At little thanks goes a long way these are still humans doing a job, we haven't gone into full drone takeover just yet.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:22 PM   #20
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSToyota86 View Post
FedEx home delivery offers free Saturday delivery, on the UPS ground requires the shipper to request for and pay an additional cost for Saturday delivery...
Also matters that FedEx treats ground shipments entirely separate from their express (air) shipments.

UPS is one company from top to bottom.
FedEx (purple) and FedEx Ground (green) are two separate companies under the same brand. Many FedEx Ground routes are still owned by independent contractors that own the route they serve, a carryover from RPS days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FedEx_Ground

Edit: it matters to know what the carrier does for you as a customer, both as shipper and receiver. USPS, while great for normal mail, results in weeks and weeks of delays when your package is lost or damaged. The claim process alone makes it unappealing to ship with them, but 99% of the time end users only see the cost to them.

Last edited by mav1178; 09-19-2017 at 03:42 PM.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
FRSToyota86 (09-21-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 10:33 AM   #21
FRSToyota86

Here we go again. UPS deliveries are not delivered even though they show out on delivery. Hope they make it today.... #UPS_Sucks
Vortech V3 Supercharger| 12 PSI|E85 MotoEast Flexfuel kit|Crawford AOS| Mishimoto Oil Cooler|3"Perrin Resonated CBE| 3" JDL Front/Over Pipe|OpenFlash Performance Headers|Exedy Stage 2 Ceramic Clutch |Yonaka Coilovers|17x9 O.Z. Wheels| 245/40r/17|TRD Brake Pads|Perrin Master Cylinder Brace |ChaseBay SSBrake Lines|CF Side Fins|OEM Shark Fin Athena|Yospeed Console Plaque|R/T Shift Knob|Fog Lights|Backup Camera|Navigation| |TRD Quickshifter|Motul Gear Oil|
Old 11-28-2017, 10:55 AM   #22
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
UPS is incredible in my area. Routinely delivering a day early, leaving a post it with a number to text and he swings back by on his way through if I can't sign for something, and always gives my dog a biscuit.

Fedex meanwhile leaves both ammunition and sensitive electronics in puddles in the middle of my driveway, which is mere feet from my covered porch where everyone else delivers to. :|
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:21 PM   #23
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Our collective opinion among several friends and a few business owners who ship regularly is that UPS is no longer the great company that it was once.

If you want your orders to shipped promptly and avoid delays at major shipping hubs just avoid UPS.

It seems like if their trucks are not full at the hubs, they will hold your packages until the next day or more to fill them up in order to get most profitability and higher utilization, on the expense of the deliveries being done at a later time. Which is terrible considering how much you pay. Major competitor FedEx is always more reliable it seems.

Claims with UPS also seems like resolve in favor of UPS in a quick, swift and peculiar way.

After Hurricane Irma, our Local FedEx delivery trucks were on their regular routes with in a day, however after nearly a week, my scheduled Saturday delivery status which shows in truck and out for delivery, magically gets delayed, blaming the hurricane, which is absurd since here in Central Florida we are for most part back to normal already. It appears to me that the management at UPS is taking every opportunity, and using every excuse to resort to penny pinching, to save fuel, mileage, and not wanting to pay the price for doing business and therefore causing annoying delays on regular basis.

If you are operating an online business and selling parts or shipping to friends and family, I humbly suggest you avoid using UPS and choose FedEx or USPS, specially is you are shipping to Canada. UPS is the only company which will charge your clients on the other end a import processing fees, which is often around 35$ to 40$ USD which is aroud 50$ CND.

Thank you for reading, I tried to keep it short and sweet.

I wish UPS would eventually commit to offering better services in near future, but at the moment they do get a thumbs down, and it is what it is.

You're spot on, except for the part about the trucks at the hub. The trucks are probably bursting at the seams, and can't handle any more. So, instead of putting one of the 3 drivers (who are going home for the day without work) into one of the 5 trucks (that will be sitting there empty all day), they "exception" the leftovers with a lame excuse. Why? Because there are forcasted production numbers for supervisors/managers to meet. One of those is number of trucks on road at each center, and God help you if you don't meet that number. Service be damned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
I hate UPS. As a canadian I don't understand why I'm paying 40% fees for a simple delivery, and when a business only offers UPS as a delivery method, I actually don't even buy their product.

Because UPS owns their own brokerage house, and uses it like a license to print money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
It was just a matter of time until UPS went down the shitter. I agree with the OP and i have noticed it too. UPS over-works drivers and they work crazy hours. That alone is a recipe for poor production. I know someone who had a package arrive past 10PM a couple weeks ago. Until they revert to regular hours for their workers (40 hour weeks) and put more trucks on the road, they won't be able to keep up and maintain their formerly stellar reputation.

Again, Spot-on! Thank you for noticing. I tore up my shoulder trying to keep up with the workload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Imagine my shock when I bought a used OFT from the US for 500 CAD and was hit with a 144 CAD duty charge.

I'm shocked too...that it was only $144

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
Making friends with my local UPS driver is a big plus for me. He always knows im working on something with the Vette or 86. We have brief convos about the next mod and I always thank him. He usually comes to my neighbor last since im usually working during the day in case theres something to sign. At little thanks goes a long way these are still humans doing a job, we haven't gone into full drone takeover just yet.

Customers like you are a pleasure to do business with...

I'm a 15 year driver (or was), and love my job. At one time, I was proud to say I was a UPS driver. Years of being on the inside left a bad taste in my mouth.
Let me paint a picture...One day, not too far from the end, we (the driver group) were pleading with the preload supervisor to give us some help as there were likely to be service failures across the board (not because we care about the customer. NOOO, because we're a bunch of lazy, expensive, unionized employees) . The response we got: "Don't worry about deliveries, we already have their money! Don't miss pick-ups."
What little respect I had left for that company faded away that morning.
Cole (11-28-2017), FRSToyota86 (11-30-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 11:15 PM   #24
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I work for USPS and we deliver a lot of Amazon, Fedex, and UPS packages. I'm just here to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Allch Chcar For This Useful Post:
FRSToyota86 (11-30-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 06:28 PM   #25
FRSToyota86

11/30/2017 10:00 A.M. Due to operating conditions, your package may be delayed. / Your delivery has been rescheduled for the next business day.

Here is another one
Old 11-30-2017, 06:52 PM   #26
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
11/30/2017 10:00 A.M. Due to operating conditions, your package may be delayed. / Your delivery has been rescheduled for the next business day.

Here is another one
I have this entry on my package too. Fucking still nothing at my doorstep yet. What are they doing having KFC with their greasy hands will delay the delivery?
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:36 PM   #27
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,461 Times in 3,204 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
I've had this message for two days now..

Quote:
A late UPS trailer arrival has delayed delivery. We're adjusting plans to deliver your package as quickly as possible. / Your shipment is scheduled to arrive today after the delivery commitment time.
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:57 PM   #28
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I got a notice from UPS saying my package arrived. It was delivered by USPS in a parcel locker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote