follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-30-2017, 07:14 AM   #29
Pbrown

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Raven
Thanked 1,322 Times in 658 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Cheers Roddy.

It has been a pleasure Roddy. The cruises (perhaps a misleading word) we have done together have been epic to say the least. Would like to personally thank you for the enthusiasm and assistance you provided when helping with the organization and promotion of these events. The car has been a great experience by itself. The people, like yourself, I have met during ownership has been a fantastic bonus. Keep in touch my friend, BTW. You can bring the truck to the cruise on the 24th. We'll use you as a separator between us and the po po.
Pbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:52 AM   #30
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Turn your 100 acres farm into a race track!!! so u dont need to sell your FRS!!!

JK!! Take care!
FR-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:59 AM   #31
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thank you too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbrown View Post
It has been a pleasure Roddy. The cruises (perhaps a misleading word) we have done together have been epic to say the least. Would like to personally thank you for the enthusiasm and assistance you provided when helping with the organization and promotion of these events. The car has been a great experience by itself. The people, like yourself, I have met during ownership has been a fantastic bonus. Keep in touch my friend, BTW. You can bring the truck to the cruise on the 24th. We'll use you as a separator between us and the po po.

Even with the Mustang crowd, I have not experienced the comradery that comes with these cars. Having only met me once, you invited me into your home, gave me a place to wash the car after the drive up to Ottawa, and led me up to the cruise night at M&M. That meant a lot to me. Your efforts in putting the "cruises" together have been far more important than mine. It takes a lot of time and effort to stick everything together and be the glue that holds it there. For that, I thank you.
If I brought the truck, I'd be so far behind I wouldn't see the coppers 'till I passed them and 20 twins on the side of the road (chuckle). I could bring the Mustang, but it's only fun in the straight sections, and there aren't many of those. I had the Mustang on the 509...once. Handles like a truck. *sigh*...I miss the FR-S already, and it's still sitting in my garage.
If you haven't finalized a route for the 24th, I could make one last suggestion...bit of a drive, but take a look at the map of Prince Edward County. Maybe some folks from the West could make the drive too. BBQ at my place and a lap of the "island".
Pbrown (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 08:08 AM   #32
roddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Sky View Post
Turn your 100 acres farm into a race track!!! so u dont need to sell your FRS!!!

JK!! Take care!

LOL, the thought has crossed my mind. As it is, I already cut and maintain a couple kilometers of trails between us and the neighbors.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:10 PM   #33
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Have you considered possibly picking up a clean 2003- 2006 Tundra (either the 4L V6, or 4.7L V8 ) ?

Its the Lexus of trucks. There are some good deals out there, original owners , possibly second order , but you can find clean ones with say 50-75k miles , for $13-15k (at the time it was a $29-31k new vehicle). Adjust for todays inflation / market values, its closer to a low $40k range truck. The size is in between a Tacoma, and a true full size pickup (say a F250). Another great thing about it is the 2wd versions V8-access cab Tundras, are about 4500 lbs (versus a V6 Tacoma is about 4100 lbs). Good solid strength to weight ratio. New 2007+ Tundras weigh 5300 - 5700 lbs.

New trucks are crazy pricey.... upper end Ford/Chevy/GMC are like $50-80k . That's a nice down payment on a house... many locations in the USA.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:13 PM   #34
Adam_L

Meant to say, but the 4L V6 version (2005- '06) Tundras are harder to find. It's a truck, its better to have more balls, then not enough gumption (Torque) when you need it. That 1st Gen Tundra won several awards when it first debuted in 2000.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:52 AM   #35
roddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_L View Post
Have you considered possibly picking up a clean 2003- 2006 Tundra (either the 4L V6, or 4.7L V8 ) ?

Its the Lexus of trucks. There are some good deals out there, original owners , possibly second order , but you can find clean ones with say 50-75k miles , for $13-15k (at the time it was a $29-31k new vehicle). Adjust for todays inflation / market values, its closer to a low $40k range truck. The size is in between a Tacoma, and a true full size pickup (say a F250). Another great thing about it is the 2wd versions V8-access cab Tundras, are about 4500 lbs (versus a V6 Tacoma is about 4100 lbs). Good solid strength to weight ratio. New 2007+ Tundras weigh 5300 - 5700 lbs.

New trucks are crazy pricey.... upper end Ford/Chevy/GMC are like $50-80k . That's a nice down payment on a house... many locations in the USA.

I did think about a Tundra, and checked out a really nice '13 with low miles and the 5.7. Really nice truck, great price, but only 2 wheel drive, and a long box. I've lost a lot of faith in the domestic manufacturers over the years. The Dodge/Ram is a rust bucket...I've seen them with bubbly rusty looking box sides by the time they are 5 years old. No thank-you. I was brought up on GM products, but the Chev/GMC just don't appeal to me . The only other truck I really considered was an F150 reg. cab shortbox 4X4 with the 2.7 EcoBoost or 5.0.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:23 AM   #36
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
To me, Tacoma is the best looking truck. I wish I had one. Please post a picture when you have it.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:30 PM   #37
roddy

They're a good looking truck. The 3rd gen Tacoma is growing on me, but I still prefer the look of the 2nd generation trucks like the one I got. Nothing special...4 cyl/auto, access cab 4X4 in a plain white wrapper.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:26 AM   #38
Adam_L

If you can get a '11- '15 Tacoma, with the specs you want at a fair price, go for it. Peoples tend to want bank for their Tacoma's , so that's why I recommended the 1st Gen Tundra .... really better bang for the buck. I recommend finding a dealer near you (may have to be private party) , with ideally a '05 or '06 Tundra for a test drive. They have balls, given strength to weight ( 280 hp / 325 torque , and weigh 4500 lbs for a access cab 2wd). Plus they have a good size bed ( most Tacoma's have a shorty bed, very dinky .... most people don't opt for the long bed option) , not as deep as a new Tundra , but deep enough for most jobs and very similar length/width.