follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-13-2016, 03:24 AM   #1
belleh

Drives: 86 GTS '13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Issues with my 86 please help

Hi guys, first time post here

I just recently bought a used 86, I'm 2nd owner - Manual, 2013 GTS, 103,000kms (mostly highway kms)
The car is in immaculate condition and picked it up for a very good price, although with it's distance traveled came a few issues that I was more than aware of before purchasing (I was prepared to spend a little on minor mechanical work that needed to be done)

The car has 3 issues I'm not happy with;

1. Under low or high throttle there's quite a significant whine that is almost louder than the engine sound, specifically in gears 1-4. (Noticeable from inside and outside the car)

2. On majority of occasions, changing gears only from 3rd to 2nd is near impossible to engage without it 'locking' or getting 'stuck' at a point. The knob leaves 3rd smoothly but will then get 'blocked' when trying to engage into 2nd with the clutch in. To compensate, I can avoid this blocking by forcefully pushing the knob to the left wall while still in 3rd and have the clutch in, and will then be a much smoother diagonal change into 2nd. I'm almost certain it doesn't require this much effort though..

3. 'Clunking' sound coming from left rear of car. Noticeably loud even over slight bumps in the road, also continuous and never goes away. Sounds like something loose is knocking against a part of the car, can't seem to find what it is.

The mechanic I was referred to was highly recommended and said there would obviously be some signs of wear from the distance it's traveled, but these 3 concerns I pointed out are no issues to be worried about, it's in fantastic condition. Seems to be true as it doesn't effect the performance of the car to my knowledge, but it's starting to get on my nerves after having the car for a month now. Has anyone else experienced any of these before?

An important thing to note is that I've driven my friends brand new 2014 86 and these issues weren't even slightly present.

I don't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to the mechanical side, and I'm no pro driver but I consider myself to be half decent considering my experience.

Any help at all would be appreciated, thanks ^_^
belleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:00 AM   #2
ZZT86

Drives: BR86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Clunk could be shocker . . . so to speak
ZZT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:42 AM   #3
Fizz
Senior Addict

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
1) check if it has supercharger installed.
2) try double clutching, or maybe worn synchro, possibly abused by previous owner.
3) possibly previous owner had removed aftermarket coilovers, refitted stocks, and did a half arsed job. Could be swaybar links or top nut on shock rod not tight enough.
Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:16 AM   #4
belleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
1) check if it has supercharger installed.
2) try double clutching, or maybe worn synchro, possibly abused by previous owner.
3) possibly previous owner had removed aftermarket coilovers, refitted stocks, and did a half arsed job. Could be swaybar links or top nut on shock rod not tight enough.
Hahahaha #1 made me laugh
Alright thanks @Fizz I will check those out for 2. and 3.

Really want this whine gone though as I won't be fooling anyone to think its supercharged :')
Old 12-13-2016, 06:58 AM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Have the clutch throw out bearing checked. Although they usually make more of a grinding noise when going bad a whine is not out of the question. Could also account for you shift issues.

The rear end thump could be dozens of different things.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:51 AM   #6
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Does the car have aftermarket exhaust? First (and easiest) thing I would check for when looking for the cause of the clunk is contact between the exhaust and the body or rear suspension.

Some people (myself included) have had good luck improving the 1-2 and 3-2 shifts by changing the fluid in the transmission. There are all kinds of threads and opinions on that one.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:46 AM   #7
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
I seem to recall reverse lockout occasionally needs an adjustment... Maybe it's getting in the way of a downshift to 2?
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:39 AM   #8
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Does the whine change at all with the clutch is engaged or disengaged. That can help determine if its load related(Transmission or motor) or vehicle speed related (drive line components)
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 11:30 AM   #9
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Drives: 2003 (AP1) S2000
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
1. Many guesses.

2. P.O. was very hard on the transmission. Double clutch, rev match, or replace it. Used transmissions are pretty cheap. Fluid change won't hurt but won't fix the issue either.

3. The left rear axle nut needs to be re-torqued. That's your clunk, I'd bet on it. This is a common problem, came from the factory that way. Gets worse over time.

There are many ways to displace.

-Spartarus
Spartarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:00 PM   #10
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
I seem to recall reverse lockout occasionally needs an adjustment... Maybe it's getting in the way of a downshift to 2?
This was my guess.

I installed an aftermarket reverse lock-out, and sometimes it gets stuck in the "up" position (the position you'd require to go into reverse) which sometimes makes it difficult to shift until I pop it back down to it's regular position.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:09 PM   #11
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Go simple!

Trans: Change out transmission oil and rear diff oil since you're there.

Rear Knocking: check for missing muffler hanger bushings or rear bumper loose. Junk in the trunk, loose spare tire hold down.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
sly (12-13-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 06:45 AM   #12
belleh

Damn guys, thanks so much for your help and suggestions!! I'll give everything a go and see if any of these solutions solve the issues, appreciate it!

* Important note, I noticed these issues before I bought it and was prepared to address it and have them fixed. After taking it to a mechanic for full log book servicing, oil change, trans fluid change and a thorough check up as it had 100,000kms and no idea what the previous owner really did with it, these minor issues remained. Hence why I am here asking for help The car goes like a dream, I can't really complain at all with its condition but would be nice to crack down on these little annoyances

@Tcoat - good idea, will check clutch throw out bearing
@roddy - doesn't have an aftermarket exhaust, car is completely stock but that doesn't mean previous owner didn't have one installed. Will check it out
@cjd - don't think it's the reverse lockout as it's not getting stuck in the 'up' position as @SLVRSRFR mentioned. It needs an unnecessary amount of force to push it passed the gate into 2nd where it gets 'blocked' when shifting down from 3rd @jasonojordan - can only hear the whine under throttle, noticeable from light or heavy acceleration. Everyone I've spoken to says it would be transmission if this is the case, but everyone that has checked it out has said it's in such good condition and doesn't need replacing, don't waste my money. Still going to try everything to get rid of the whine, I can't stand it (and I don't mind the sound of a juicy supercharger haha).
@Spartarus - will continue to double clutch and rev match as I won't be spending $$ on a new one. I think you're exactly right, will check left rear axle nut thanks
@stevesnj - oils changed, no junk in the trunk etc. but good idea to check for missing hanger bushings

Thanks again guys <3
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to belleh For This Useful Post:
Spartarus (12-14-2016), stevesnj (12-14-2016)

Tags
whine