follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 10-27-2015, 10:14 PM   #295
cycleboy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Argento
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 504 View Post
Yes sir

I've used pretty much every oil and wasted 400 on the tranny. Research and development is already done for you guys haha

Just remember this tranny is heavily dependent on oil fill level, 200mL overfill made a huge difference in synchro performance for me (in a bad way). Follow service manual and don't over think it like I did
I didn't go back through this thread to see details (I changed mine quite awhile back to Gear 300), but how do you overfill it? It seems like filling it to where it is up to the fill hole won't allow overfilling because it would leak all over you.
cycleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:20 PM   #296
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,140 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleboy View Post
I didn't go back through this thread to see details (I changed mine quite awhile back to Gear 300), but how do you overfill it? It seems like filling it to where it is up to the fill hole won't allow overfilling because it would leak all over you.
He's comparing the measured amount that was installed to the stated capacity in the factory manual. Ideally they should coincide, however very slight differences in vehicle angle when on jacks may not yield exacting results.

In other words, if he measures 2.4L going in, but manual states 2.2L, then by extracting .2L he should reasonably expect to have 2.2L remaining.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
504 (10-28-2015), roddy (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 11:23 PM   #297
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
It's easy to get the car off level (front to rear or side to side) when using jacks and stands. Being off either FR or SS can make a difference...get them both off, and it wouldn't be hard to overfill by a couple hundred ml. @504 isn't the only one here to mention that having too much fluid in there has produced unfavorable changes in gear engagement "feel".
504 (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 09:18 AM   #298
cycleboy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Argento
Ok, that makes sense.

I was making the assumption that the car was level as it's part of my standard process for doing that kind of work to do some sort of check with a level to make sure it is at least close. Starting on level ground and using the same height stands at all 4 locations is a good start.
cycleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cycleboy For This Useful Post:
JB86'd (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 07:58 PM   #299
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleboy View Post
Ok, that makes sense.

I was making the assumption that the car was level as it's part of my standard process for doing that kind of work to do some sort of check with a level to make sure it is at least close. Starting on level ground and using the same height stands at all 4 locations is a good start.

Level ground is key.
My car measures just over 1/2" higher in the rear than in the front on stock suspension, sitting on the tires. I try to keep that difference the same when its on the stands (1 notch higher on the rear stands is just about perfect in my case).
Old 10-28-2015, 08:27 PM   #300
JB86'd

Drives: JAWS
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
While we're on the subject of leveling and fluid level, I just did a third change with Motul 300 in my transmission. I already had Motul, and it was fantastic the first time. I did a change about a month ago, and my gear engagement seemed more difficult and a lot less smooth than before. I thought maybe it was in my head, but also suspected that I may have overfilled it by a couple hundred ml.

So yesterday I put my car up on 4 jack stands, perfectly level. Drained the fluid while warm, and what do you know, I had 2.5L of fluid come out. I filled up with a fluid pump and made sure to put EXACTLY 2.3L of fluid. The difference is absolutely night and day. Shifting is easily 50% easier and smoother, and feels amazing just like it did the first time I put Motul in. I feel like some people who aren't impressed with Motul or any aftermarket fluid may be overfilling.

TLDR; I cannot stress how important it is to put exactly 2.3L of fluid in the tranny, with the car perfectly level.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:23 PM   #301
xFury

Drives: '16 Scion FR-S - Oceanic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB86'd View Post
While we're on the subject of leveling and fluid level, I just did a third change with Motul 300 in my transmission. I already had Motul, and it was fantastic the first time. I did a change about a month ago, and my gear engagement seemed more difficult and a lot less smooth than before. I thought maybe it was in my head, but also suspected that I may have overfilled it by a couple hundred ml.

So yesterday I put my car up on 4 jack stands, perfectly level. Drained the fluid while warm, and what do you know, I had 2.5L of fluid come out. I filled up with a fluid pump and made sure to put EXACTLY 2.3L of fluid. The difference is absolutely night and day. Shifting is easily 50% easier and smoother, and feels amazing just like it did the first time I put Motul in. I feel like some people who aren't impressed with Motul or any aftermarket fluid may be overfilling.

TLDR; I cannot stress how important it is to put exactly 2.3L of fluid in the tranny, with the car perfectly level.
Good to know! I guess I'll take this in to a shop that worked on this before and have them change my oils instead when I break it in, since I don't have a jack or a level floor where I'm at (Slight incline)
xFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:49 AM   #302
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
@JB86'd did you refill it with the same fluid you drained out? If not, is this something that's okay to do? I switched fluids about three months ago from amsoil to motul 300. I'd prefer not to spend another $70 if possible.

I also refilled until it poured out as well. Shifting has been notchy and not very fluid but it did fix my 6th to 5th shift grind.
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:44 AM   #303
JB86'd

Drives: JAWS
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
@tracerit I refilled with new fluid, but as far as I know you should be fine to refill with your same fluid. I'd say fhe most important thing is having a super clean container to drain it into and keeping it from any contamination.
Hopefully after you ensure you have the right amount in there your shifting will smooth out and the grind will stay gone.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:51 AM   #304
qqzj

Drives: MDX, Camry
I have two pairs of jack stands, but they are not identical pairs. So how can I make sure the car is perfectly level? Thanks for any ideas.
qqzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #305
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,140 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqzj View Post
I have two pairs of jack stands, but they are not identical pairs. So how can I make sure the car is perfectly level? Thanks for any ideas.

Measure the jack heights. Whatever the difference is at your desired height, put the shorter stands on a piece of plywood of that thickness. Use a silver Sharpie to mark that location.

You can also put the car up on stands at your desired height, and then use the jack to slightly raise the 'low' side. Only raise it minimally (like 1/2" or less) so the jack stand head is still immediately close to the frame should the jack fail.

You can also use a magnet level on the chassis under the doors. I *think* it's supposed to be level there.

I don't believe the car needs to be perfectly perfect level, just get close and you'll be fine.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
qqzj (11-09-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 02:22 PM   #306
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
Measure the jack heights. Whatever the difference is at your desired height, put the shorter stands on a piece of plywood of that thickness. Use a silver Sharpie to mark that location.

You can also put the car up on stands at your desired height, and then use the jack to slightly raise the 'low' side. Only raise it minimally (like 1/2" or less) so the jack stand head is still immediately close to the frame should the jack fail.

You can also use a magnet level on the chassis under the doors. I *think* it's supposed to be level there.

I don't believe the car needs to be perfectly perfect level, just get close and you'll be fine.
this! I didnt sawp my fluid yet but on my previous car, i never perfectly leveled. i just filled in correct amount of fluid
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:52 AM   #307
Tekno Virus

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Can anybody try Millers Oil EE Transmission 75w90? I've already swapped with Motul 300 which is super awesome. I've read about Millers Oil's nano technology and it'd interesting to try out.

http://www.millersoils.co.uk/automot...972&sector=Car

This fluid is compatible with yellow metals, non-aggressive.
Tekno Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tekno Virus For This Useful Post:
FRSGeek (11-14-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 02:57 AM   #308
ZZT86

Drives: BR86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
After quite some time on the Gear300 I decided to dump it & put back in the Pentosin MTF2 (filtered - previously done 3000kms) paying special attention to the quantity going in - measured exactly 2.2L & I'm finding it really good. Thanks @504 for the tip! Got plenty of the Pento here so I guess I'll be using it in future OCI.
ZZT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZZT86 For This Useful Post:
504 (11-10-2015)