follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2015, 12:32 PM   #183
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
LOl MIATA what a waste, you take the most bullet proof Mazda motor. The one that handles over 20psi in its stock form and only boost it with 8psi. Wow such unused potential. WHy not leace it stock so we can all race SM for another decade.

Using this logic, why would anyone get a stage one tune on a VW 1.8t engine? Why would you only want a 35 HP increase at 15 PSI when you could get a stage 3 tune with 100 HP increase at 25 PSI?
I can't understand why everyone wouldn't want to get the maximum amount of power possible out of a given engine.
Why would I want to get a lowly 50 HP boost when I could get the biggest most powerful turbo made and put it on my FR-S and have 400 HP?

What is wrong with me?
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-10-2015), GT86meMR2 (04-10-2015), raven1231 (04-10-2015), Sojhinn (04-10-2015)
Old 04-10-2015, 01:04 PM   #184
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
And why did I even buy an FR-S when I could have got a Z06? The Corvette has a lot more power.

Damn, I could've had a V8!
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-10-2015)
Old 04-10-2015, 07:17 PM   #185
PowderfaceTr.

Drives: stock
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
LOl MIATA what a waste, you take the most bullet proof Mazda motor. The one that handles over 20psi in its stock form and only boost it with 8psi. Wow such unused potential. WHy not leace it stock so we can all race SM for another decade.

Using this logic, why would anyone get a stage one tune on a VW 1.8t engine? Why would you only want a 35 HP increase at 15 PSI when you could get a stage 3 tune with 100 HP increase at 25 PSI?
I can't understand why everyone wouldn't want to get the maximum amount of power possible out of a given engine.
Why would I want to get a lowly 50 HP boost when I could get the biggest most powerful turbo made and put it on my FR-S and have 400 HP?

What is wrong with me?
Stages? Who is the marketing genus that thought of Stages?

Spend all that time doing the math to make the most efficient turbo at the lowest price and then test it on multitude of factors through the rigors of R&D. Only to make a single sale per person when you could sell it twice to the same person by first leaving out the crucial piece that makes it powerful. Just call it a stage 6.5 upgrade BOV spring. Slap 2000 dollar price tag and off to the races you be.

So you cant afford a good car and you don't like bulky rides. You buy a FRS and now your in the trap. Your spending money is lost on the mud flaps and antennas. You are now financially too tight to get a proper drive train solution. You get incremental on the car not knowing what is needed.
Half of you have never been in a balanced car one that has just the right power for the chassis. Those of you have no idea what excess or the bare minimum is.

Tell me what its like to adjust lambda at a stoplight. If you cant relate you have a lot to read about cars before you post those kind of questions.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:26 PM   #186
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Is anyone else turned on right now?
Old 04-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #187
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBRZ1691 View Post
Hey so I clicked the link and noticed I was not on the waiting list. I was at some point, has it been updated? or re-done?
Sorry I might have missed you. I will look back through the PMS. Who did you message? Fenton or robftss?
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:45 PM   #188
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Nvm I see it was sorted
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:11 PM   #189
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Posted some impressions of Shiv's PID controller for Rob's Phantom ESC kit here:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=8522

In short, you'll like it.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:40 AM   #190
shellslinger

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderfaceTr. View Post
Stages? Who is the marketing genus that thought of Stages?

Spend all that time doing the math to make the most efficient turbo at the lowest price and then test it on multitude of factors through the rigors of R&D. Only to make a single sale per person when you could sell it twice to the same person by first leaving out the crucial piece that makes it powerful. Just call it a stage 6.5 upgrade BOV spring. Slap 2000 dollar price tag and off to the races you be.

So you cant afford a good car and you don't like bulky rides. You buy a FRS and now your in the trap. Your spending money is lost on the mud flaps and antennas. You are now financially too tight to get a proper drive train solution. You get incremental on the car not knowing what is needed.
Half of you have never been in a balanced car one that has just the right power for the chassis. Those of you have no idea what excess or the bare minimum is.

Tell me what its like to adjust lambda at a stoplight. If you cant relate you have a lot to read about cars before you post those kind of questions.

I think he was just being sarcastic lol.
shellslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:01 PM   #191
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Drives: 2018 BRZ Ts - CWP
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Posted some impressions of Shiv's PID controller for Rob's Phantom ESC kit here:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=8522

In short, you'll like it.

I am little jealous I didn't keep my ESC long enough to try out the new PID controller. I will still drop in from time to time and keep up with the thread. I will probably be spending more time on the Sprintex thread now that I have moved over to their SC.

I just wanted to say thanks for the good info that you guys have shared on the ESC. It was all good stuff, and I am glad I had the ESC experience. I get a lot of great info off of this forum and don't say thanks enough. Even to the guys who are on the other side of "many a argument". I'm looking at you @tahdizzle . Shit, I don't think I can disagree too much with a guy who is a fan of the "Pork Chop Express". Anyways, Thanks

At the end of the day we are all car guys who love talking and working on and driving cars. I'm just glad I have a place to come and read and discuss cars.....cause the wife is fed up hearing about it and she about kills me if I start talking about it at home.

So thanks everyone.
brzaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to brzaapi For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-14-2015), ImBatman (04-14-2015), tahdizzle (04-14-2015), WRB5titch (04-15-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 08:32 PM   #192
Ernie L

Drives: 2014 BRZ black premium
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantobe View Post
So, I was kind of thinking about this the other day. It's a rather simple idea so bear with me here

Given the success of the "Full Throttle Electric Supercharger". In case you missed it...

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39719

Why aren't major companies investing resources into the electric supercharger market? I'm no FI guru, but just based off popularity its by far the bread winner coming in at 385 pages & rightfully so I think.

- Gains: Tuned w/ headers on 93 you net around 50whp & 60wtq peak power. You also net lots of area under the curve.

- Cost Effective: ~$2200 roughly

- Easy to Install

- Less Failure Modes

^These are just a few of the positives, I'm sure there are more.

To me it seems the most practical for the everyday driver. So I'm just begging the question why aren't other companies investing time and resources to produce a more competitive market in this segment?
Coming soon to an Audi near you is Valeo’s electric supercharger, which will help boost engine acceleration while improving fuel economy. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...er-technology/
DAEMANO (04-14-2015), WNDSRFR (04-15-2015)