follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-27-2015, 05:14 PM   #71
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzpermadi View Post
Also I hope that they discontinue this car in 2017, so at least we can recover the purchase price from the exclusivity. LOL.

I think that only works if the car is featured in a movie and you wait 30+ years... like a certain stainless steel clad turtle from Back To The Future.
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:10 PM   #72
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
2016 and done.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:34 PM   #73
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
A second iteration of the car has already been confirmed. My we have short memories here.

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...en-scion-fr-s/

This thread is so far off the deep end it's kinda sad.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Sideways&Smiling (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 07:21 PM   #74
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,474 Times in 4,995 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
A second iteration of the car has already been confirmed. My we have short memories here.

Far from confirmed imo, you're quoting one European sales executive pandering to a blog, not an official statement from the people responsible for engineering and designing the car. Not to mention it's from the ever click-baity Australians who love to hype up hybrids or four doors or dropping the boxer altogether for the Toyobaru.

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2014...-live-on-46760
Quote:
Speaking with motoring.com.au during the 2014 Paris motor show, Toyota of Europe's Executive Vice President, Karl Schlicht, acknowledged the 86's business case is not ideal but said the Japanese giant was committed to the model and that Toyota would retain its partnership with Subaru for the time being.

"The GT 86 as you know has been enthusiastically received by the motoring press, but the market's not huge around the world for those kind of cars and they also have a bit of a lifecycle. So as a business it's tougher to justify.

"But we are pretty serious about keeping the GT 86 pure and keeping a car like that in our line-up. Because in the past we dropped cars like the Celicas and fun cars, and we don’t want to lose that again," said Schlicht, adding that through the late 2000s the lack of sports cars in Toyota's range wasn't ideal.

"It hurts the image over time," said the Toyota executive. "We want to keep some fun cars in our line-up".

Does that mean a second-generation Toyota 86 is being planned? "It's down the road," he said. "The GT 86 has to go through normal lifecycle," stated Schlicht.

However, Schlicht would not comment on the question of whether Toyota's entry-level $30K sports coupe will remain a collaboration with Subaru for the next generation, leaving question marks over the BRZ's future.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:23 PM   #75
jamies31

Drives: 2014 Scion Frs (Argento)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Every car is going to have atleast a five year run without any huge exterior, interior and mainly powertrain. It's been like this for every car since the start of time.
When I hear people complain about no huge changes on only its 3rd time around makes me smile, Guess what we probably wont see a huge change in the vehicle until atleast 2017-18. Even corolla, camry, sienna all Toyotas best selling car all atleast get 5 years with the same chasis, powertrain, interior etc with only modest changes.
The one thing I love about the scion brand is......YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR CAR AND UPGRADE IT YOURSELF, That's what I love about this brand instead of getting tired of the car and trading it in add a modification! you just saved 25-30k and still have the car you love.
Just me .2 as always
jamies31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:27 PM   #76
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Multiple Subaru/Scion/Toyota representatives have said there will be a 2nd generation of the car.

As for a future version of the car having a completely different, non-boxer engine, this is something that was bluntly said to be a possibility by Tada back around release time.... He said he would like to make
an engine upgrade at least once during the lifecycle of the car and that it could get an entirely different engine.

I think we will see a mild update/refresh this year or next, and, then, in the future, the platform will evolve into something different with a different engine altogether... but may not still be marketed as the same car at all. just based on the same platform.
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sideways&Smiling For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (01-27-2015), tahdizzle (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 07:44 PM   #77
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
Multiple Subaru/Scion/Toyota representatives have said there will be a 2nd generation of the car.

As for a future version of the car having a completely different, non-boxer engine, this is something that was bluntly said to be a possibility by Tada back around release time.... He said he would like to make
an engine upgrade at least once during the lifecycle of the car and that it could get an entirely different engine.

I think we will see a mild update/refresh this year or next, and, then, in the future, the platform will evolve into something different with a different engine altogether... but may not still be marketed as the same car at all. just based on the same platform.
I don't think when Tada said that he meant changing out the engine for a non-boxer unit. I think that's very unlikely.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:45 PM   #78
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
There's more to suggest that there WILL be a next generation car, than that there won't be one. As @Sideways&Smiling said multiple sources from within Toyota, Scion & Subaru have confirmed this. I'm not going to go digging for all of the quotes but they've been posted on this board.

If an opinion piece an auto journalist is enough for people to confirm their bias then so be it. Cry wolf more.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Drewfellas (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 07:52 PM   #79
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
LOL at "multiple representatives". Quote one who has any say at all where the suits live.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tromatic For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (01-27-2015), Tcoat (01-27-2015), torqdork (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 07:52 PM   #80
FirestormFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
Toyota will likely keep the line alive for 6 years even with declining sales (which was predictable as most here have mentioned). Look at their most recent sports and sporty car models for evidence. I am sure that with the initial success of the twins they have long since surpassed the break even point on the R&D on the car so everything since then is profit. The majority of drivers today are more concerned with gadgets, gizmos, big power and comfort. The twins buck all those trends so there is not going to be mass appeal for them. Most buyers will think the twins are overpriced for what you are getting because of the lack of gadgets, gizmos, big power and comfort. Hell. many of the post on this forum show that a lot of FT86 buyers agree with them. It takes a special breed to appreciate these cars for what they do offer that other vehicles do not. Unfortunately, for the longevity of true sports cars, the number of those type of drivers is very limited.

You have no idea what it costs to R&D a car from idea to production. With R&D, tooling up a plant, certification, training people to build it and marketing they're not even close to break even yet. Cars cost asstons of money to develop. There isn't that much margin on a new car, especially a cheap sports car.
FirestormFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FirestormFRS For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (01-27-2015), Ultramaroon (01-28-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 07:53 PM   #81
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

Those same Australian outlets have been incredibly inaccurate and in the past quoted various sources as saying a vert was coming then no it is not and a turbo was in the works then no it is not and we are disappointed with sales then no we are happy with sales numbers.

I will believe that there will be a major update when we get an official Toyota news release or reveal. I will believe there will be a second Generation when we get an official Toyota news release or a reveal. I hope both happen but I would not be surprised at all if Toyota once again repeated what they have historically done with sports cars and kill the car off when the initial sales drop off and the production run nears its end which for them is 6 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormFRS View Post
You have no idea what it costs to R&D a car from idea to production. With R&D, tooling up a plant, certification, training people to build it and marketing they're not even close to break even yet. Cars cost asstons of money to develop. There isn't that much margin on a new car, especially a cheap sports car.
Here is your chance to enlighten me. How much did it cost to develop and produce the FT86 line?
strat61caster (01-27-2015), tahdizzle (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 07:57 PM   #82
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Just because the twins get axed, does not mean R&D is wasted. Like Sideways said, there will probably be another car based on the same platform.

And I think that most of the quotes allude to having a "sports car" in the line up, and not necissarily an twin.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:01 PM   #83
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,474 Times in 4,995 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post

Until I see multiple saying "yes absolutely" I will continue to call bullshit.

I've got one salesman saying 'of course, we would love to' and an engineering manager saying 'I want'. Do I really have to explain that that isn't confirmation?

Those people are in front of the press making statements because they are good at not getting themselves in trouble, I will gladly concede when I see a true confirmation.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:04 PM   #84
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
There's more to suggest that there WILL be a next generation car, than that there won't be one. As @Sideways&Smiling said multiple sources from within Toyota, Scion & Subaru have confirmed this. I'm not going to go digging for all of the quotes but they've been posted on this board.

If an opinion piece an auto journalist is enough for people to confirm their bias then so be it. Cry wolf more.
I disagree.
There have been multiple websites (some of very dubious journalistic credibility) stating "a source" or "an insider" said this, that and the other thing. Then there are the websites that used those statements to do their own thing all over again.
Don't need to do a pile of digging because there has not been one single official statement made.
All the misquotes, out of context statements and out right fabrications mean absolutely nothing unless backed by a formal Toyota/Subaru statement made in a formal manner.
This of course applies to both sides of the argument as there is no official statement they are not carrying on as well.