follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #43
einzlr

Drives: several
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
Of all the cars on the road the Cayman is the one I covet the most but I just won't allow myself to spend that kind of money for a fun car. Especially when the FR-S does such an outstanding job.
Ditto. It's not even so much the purchase price that I have a hard time justifying, but the cost of ownership - insurance, upkeep, protecting it from haters. The BMW's are bad enough in that regard, although one nice thing about the E36/8 Coupes is that their weirdness is a pretty effective hater shield

"Simplicate and add lightness." - Gordon Hooton
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to einzlr For This Useful Post:
whaap (10-26-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #44
einzlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I'm beginning to think that my inner millionaire/Clarkson really wants a Vanquish or DB9. Maybe I can hit that sweet spot eventually where they have depreciated enough I can afford one, but right before they become collectible and the price starts rising....
If you're really serious about making that happen, find some forums to join and start learning about the cars and also about trends among collectors. And start buying lottery tickets :happy0180:

Dadhawk (10-28-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #45
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Another awesome review. I know I loved this car the second I sat in it even before starting the engine and it only got better from there... But to have all these major publications seeing the same things just feels good/validation.
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:54 PM   #46
einzlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Insano View Post
Another awesome review. I know I loved this car the second I sat in it even before starting the engine and it only got better from there... But to have all these major publications seeing the same things just feels good/validation.
You betcha. The world had waited a long, long time for a car like this to come along, and some of us (ahem) had given up hope completely. Then when we're not looking, from a most unexpected corner comes this marvelous little machine that not only looks almost frighteningly promising on paper, but lives up to the promise in spades. It's almost too good to be true and some of us are still pinching ourselves. Hence the jubilance among the auto journalists

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to einzlr For This Useful Post:
TheSt|G (10-27-2012), whaap (10-26-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #47
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by einzlr View Post
You betcha. The world had waited a long, long time for a car like this to come along, and some of us (ahem) had given up hope completely. Then when we're not looking, from a most unexpected corner comes this marvelous little machine that not only looks almost frighteningly promising on paper, but lives up to the promise in spades. It's almost too good to be true and some of us are still pinching ourselves. Hence the jubilance among the auto journalists
Well said. I don't recall when I first became aware that the Twins were going to be built but it's been a long wait for it to finally happen. What continues to amaze me is I'm more excited about this car a month after buying it than I ever was before. I came to the FR-S out of a Miata which was a fine handling car and I didn't expect to get a new car that actually handled better. The more I drive this car the more incredible it seems. It might be priced as an entry level sports car but I honestly think that time is going to be very kind to the reputation this car enjoys.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whaap For This Useful Post:
einzlr (10-27-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 02:40 AM   #48
einzlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
Well said. I don't recall when I first became aware that the Twins were going to be built but it's been a long wait for it to finally happen. What continues to amaze me is I'm more excited about this car a month after buying it than I ever was before. I came to the FR-S out of a Miata which was a fine handling car and I didn't expect to get a new car that actually handled better. The more I drive this car the more incredible it seems. It might be priced as an entry level sports car but I honestly think that time is going to be very kind to the reputation this car enjoys.
Thanks <3
I had been planning on keeping the BMWs for as long as I could get parts for them because I just wasn't able to get excited about any of the new cars coming out. Everyone's hope that BMW was getting back to its roots with the 1-series was shattered when it turned out to be nothing more than an ever so slightly smaller and cheaper 3-series. The Genesis coupe seemed promising, and it was neat that it was coming from such an underdog. It was a huge leap forward for Hyundai, but it misses the mark as a great driver's car. Then the twins show up and wow. No buttons on the steering wheel No rain-sensing wipers, backup camera, lane departure warning, no electric this and automatic that and power the other thing, no 13 different drive modes that may or may not do anything anyway Light weight Handles like a dream And is oh so affordable Time to make room in the toybox And big thanks to Japan for bringing us this car Plus as an added bonus, the people on this forum are really great :happy0180:

Gums (10-28-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #49
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I think my top 3 cars under 100k have to be the

1.Cayman S
2.370Z Sport/Nismo
3.BRZ Limited

I like great handling with great power and if the BRZ had a bigger 4 cylinder it would probably rise to 2nd or 1st for me depending on what engine is used.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #50
TheSt|G

Drives: BRZ L 6MT, 128i 6MT, E39 M5, E36 M3
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Looks like we come from the same vein.
TheSt|G is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSt|G For This Useful Post:
einzlr (10-27-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #51
einzlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Looks like we come from the same vein.
Good to see there are other people on here who get it :happy0180: It was almost starting to seem like the real marvel of this little car was going to waste on all these kids who are too young to know. (No offense, kids <3)

TheSt|G (10-28-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 01:19 AM   #52
DeepHunta

Drives: '05 Outback Wgn, '05 Lotus Elise
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
haha YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pure driving delight! Long live the 86! Can't wait for the STI version....it's gonna blow away everyone

Time to save up for the trade in of the BRZ.
Proud ex-owner of GBS 6MT BRZ Limited. Pre-ordered on Feb-29-2012, got VIN on 5/19 with ETA 6/6, arrived early on 6/2, but still didn't pick it up until Jun-6-2012. Recently sold the Buuurz as of 4/21/2014
DeepHunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #53
Neuro

Drives: SCION FRS FIRESTORM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bought my FRS two weeks ago .. i fully agree with their review .. amazing fun to be had driving this car ...

my FRS actually reminds me of an uncle's 986 boxtser porsche ..

he bought that porsche brand new back in 1997.. that boxtser was 201 HP..i think around 177 torque.. top speed was 149 MPH .. made 0-60 in 6.9 seconds in manual .. great handling ...great torsional rigidity (better than the 911 in fact)... low center of gravity ..the engine was set into the middle of the car .. all these similar to the FRS/BRZ... and it won a lot of awards for its day .. motor voted it best performance car of the year ..motorweek voted it driver's choice .. philly inquirer voted it best sports car of the decade .. won a lot more too .. but that porsche was about $15,000 more than the FRS/BRZ (msrps on that thing was about $40k and this was back in 1997)

i wouldnt be surprised if toyota/subaru got some pointers from porsche engineers for the BRZ/FRS .. i know porsche was looking for help marketing their cars in asia and looked to toyota recently for help..

either way .. seeing the similarities between that early porsche boxtser that won so many awards and this car .. i dont see why the FRS wont be taking more first place spots amongst magazines/testers ..

Last edited by Neuro; 10-29-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Neuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #54
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
And the area where the 86 is clearly better is cost - both purchase price, obviously, but also upkeep. I'm told that not only do parts for the Cayman set you back big $$, but also labour is high because, among other things, getting at the engine is awkward.

The FRS is a ground up platform, parts cost are just as high as a Porsche. This is very much a specialty car, hopefully Japan will make and sell large volumes of these over the years and other cars will share parts then the cost of labor and parts will be reasonable.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote