follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 04-08-2017, 10:04 PM   #43
silverlining

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just my DIYer 2 cents after attempting this with a DW265 in my garage, because I personally found the gasket/pump cap setup to be a pain in the ass to deal with but everything else seemed straightforward to me. Feel free to ignore:

1) After knocking off a couple ribs on the top of my fuel pump cap with punches I had Amazon same day deliver me a fuel pump spanner wrench. Mine claimed to be "one size fits all" but clearance around the BRZ' fuel pump cap is pretty poor, so I still put a dent in the sheet metal around the access panel with it. But at least it let me torque back to spec.

2) Run the fuel pump a few times and then check for leaks around the fuel pump cap. Most of the DIYer guides including the install guide for my DW265c just say "do everything in reverse" but following the service manual you'll quickly realize doing it right is more involved than that. I know this is probably going to be obvious to most people on the forum but leaking fuel out of your gas tank is super bad for you.

3) Read the SM entry for replacing the fuel filter a few times, and consider just getting the ST from a dealership.
silverlining is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silverlining For This Useful Post:
kowalski (01-04-2018)
Old 04-19-2017, 05:34 PM   #44
EikNarF
FRS Member

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My stock sending unit is bad. Gas level showing 3/4 full every time I pump at a station.
Looks like I need part# SU003-01106 and gasket SU003-01019.
I believe that I need to get to the one on the driver's side? or passenger's?
EikNarF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:56 PM   #45
kowalski

Drives: 2016 brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Extra-cautions for "doing everything in reverse"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlining View Post
Most of the DIYer guides including the install guide for my DW265c just say "do everything in reverse" but following the service manual you'll quickly realize doing it right is more involved than that. I know this is probably going to be obvious to most people on the forum but leaking fuel out of your gas tank is super bad for you.
True story. I just finished mine today (DW65c), but yesterday, after "doing everything in reverse" there was a gas leak from the top. It turns out the black plastic ring that sits between the pump basket and the cap was really messed up after adjusting back to fit the blue factory lines that indicate where the cap should be tightened to it's original position. So

A) Really be extra carefull to put first the black ring. Also I broke a clip from the hose and it was leaking there too. Big time.

B) Another thing to consider is, when taking apart the small metallic clip that prevents the coil to loosen up, be sure to do that on a boxed container or to fine grap it with some tool. Mine just jumped away and it was hard to find afterwars (doing the install on the outside for ventilation...).

The clip:

It is not a hard mod, but having to deal with the constant fuel vapors and the almost "break when looking at" clips was though. Also, C) if there are no leaks, check again when you do a full tank refill. It might not leak at half capacity, but do at full.

My 5 cents and a little pic of the pump basket once out.
kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote