follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-22-2017, 01:57 PM   #323
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,182 Times in 3,471 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Update: New fuel pump installed today. Drove it back home (about 20miles), so far no crickets.. Got so used to the little blighters, my brain is still hearing them even though in reality they have been banished (I hope!).

Last edited by JD001; 09-22-2017 at 02:50 PM.
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:41 PM   #324
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited Man., WRB
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
There are a few new TSBs for the BRZ, specifically the 2015 Head unit re: firemware upgrades. I downloaded the file, but can't find the TSB with the update information.

This is supposed to fix the constant head unit crashing/reboots.

It's TSB 15-193-16, and apparently 15-193-16R as well, there's a laundry list of other TSBs on true delta as well. Can anyone post the PDFs?

https://www.truedelta.com/Subaru-BRZ-tsbs-1097,2015

Edit: this may be for Clarion headunits . . . were there Clarions in 2015 BRZs?
Here's the link to the firmware update: https://content.subarunet.com/snet/b..._downloads.htm

Last edited by DoomsdayJesus; 09-26-2017 at 12:36 AM.
DoomsdayJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoomsdayJesus For This Useful Post:
swarb (09-25-2017)
Old 06-22-2018, 02:02 PM   #325
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelwelty View Post
I was just in for my first oil change about a week and a half ago and there was no mention on a recall or TSB
For what specifically, recall they will do on their own. TSB they won't do unless you tell them or there are symptoms of something
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:28 AM   #326
Leeky
3S-GTE Junky

Drives: Toyota Celica GT-Four ST205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi guys,

FYI the TSB's unfortunatly aren't the same number world wide I have found.

Example -

S-SB-0023-12 (Chirping Noise from High Pressure Fuel Pump) - is actually EG-0113T-1115 in europe.

Regards
Leeky

Last edited by Leeky; 09-05-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Leeky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leeky For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-05-2018), Tcoat (09-05-2018), Ultramaroon (09-05-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 10:25 PM   #327
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Long shot for more info... I had my plugs done by the dealership @ just over 60K, and, almost certainly coincidentally, seem to have been getting about 2 or 3 less mpg ever since (at around 75K now). My son, who's a total car nut, said that there's a TSB out for leaking fuel injector seals in the early FR-S (mine's a 2013). He listened to the engine and heard a distinct sort of whooshing pop after reving the engine and letting it return to idle, which he said confirms that diagnosis. I haven't seen a TSB for that. Anybody know anything? I've got a "Certified" warranty for another 25K miles or until July, 2019, whichever comes first, on the drivetrain. Covered? The car, other than the slight drop in mpg, seems to be running as it always has... great.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:23 PM   #328
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
Long shot for more info... I had my plugs done by the dealership @ just over 60K, and, almost certainly coincidentally, seem to have been getting about 2 or 3 less mpg ever since (at around 75K now). My son, who's a total car nut, said that there's a TSB out for leaking fuel injector seals in the early FR-S (mine's a 2013). He listened to the engine and heard a distinct sort of whooshing pop after reving the engine and letting it return to idle, which he said confirms that diagnosis. I haven't seen a TSB for that. Anybody know anything? I've got a "Certified" warranty for another 25K miles or until July, 2019, whichever comes first, on the drivetrain. Covered? The car, other than the slight drop in mpg, seems to be running as it always has... great.

That's an earlier issue, the fix was a new tune and replacing the seals on those effected. I would get it diagnosed just in case it's a similiar issue to this because the DIY repair is quite extensive for the shady tree mechanic:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnFa2IvNs9g[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=450Pov98STg[/ame]

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42849

It should be stressed to the dealership that along with the DI seal replacement that an ECU update to the latest ECU Firmware for your car should be performed through techstream, otherwise later on in the cars life this will happen again. Assuming that is the noise you or your son is hearing. Also that is not a North American TSB it's an australia, south africa or other countries service bulletin and didn't get sent through the channel to North America for some reason. If the seals are replaced and the tune isn't updated you can be super sure its safe by flashing a Stage 1 OFT tune or the like onto the car which has the fix to prevent it
from occurring again as well. Check to see what month and year your car was built

@Sigh-on-Rice aware of anything posted in the US?
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*

Last edited by FRSBRZGT86FAN; 09-06-2018 at 11:42 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (10-14-2018), MuseChaser (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 11:30 AM   #329
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
.... Check to see what month and year your car was built

Thanks for the very helpful, detailed reply. Manufacture date of my car is June, 2012. I listened to the linked videos and read the linked thread in addition to all the great info you included. I'm not sure my issue is the same thing (or really even if it IS an issue), but it very well could be. The sound my son pointed out to me sounds like a single "PPPffffffffffff" ("Poof," only without the vocalized "oooo") as the engine returns to idle after having been goosed... like burping a big Tupperware container, if that helps. In the first linked video, the "pop" is more like a deep "click" sound, and it occurs just as the engine is goosed, rather than as it returns to idle.. if I'm hearing it correctly?
On my car, Idle is smooth (as it's always been), no CEL, no other symptoms that I'm aware of.. just a slight reduction of mpg.. about 29/30 around town (used to be 32 or so) and 36 highway (have done 38/40 on the same trips). Probably should have the dealership look at it, I guess.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:51 PM   #330
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
Thanks for the very helpful, detailed reply. Manufacture date of my car is June, 2012. I listened to the linked videos and read the linked thread in addition to all the great info you included. I'm not sure my issue is the same thing (or really even if it IS an issue), but it very well could be. The sound my son pointed out to me sounds like a single "PPPffffffffffff" ("Poof," only without the vocalized "oooo") as the engine returns to idle after having been goosed... like burping a big Tupperware container, if that helps. In the first linked video, the "pop" is more like a deep "click" sound, and it occurs just as the engine is goosed, rather than as it returns to idle.. if I'm hearing it correctly?
On my car, Idle is smooth (as it's always been), no CEL, no other symptoms that I'm aware of.. just a slight reduction of mpg.. about 29/30 around town (used to be 32 or so) and 36 highway (have done 38/40 on the same trips). Probably should have the dealership look at it, I guess.

I'd still have it checked, my just be a quirk or engine whirring but it's safe to double check. Ask the tech to let you show them where the sound appears.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #331
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Guys, Toyota Europe lets you download calibration files for free, but it asks for bulletin ID, does someone has latest bulletins for ECU and ABS?
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:14 AM   #332
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
...Check to see what month and year your car was built
Mine is also an early build. I don't think I'm experiencing this problem but just out of curiosity how hard is it to replace the injectors? I know it's usually a significant project that most backyard mechanics won't do.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:45 PM   #333
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
Mine is also an early build. I don't think I'm experiencing this problem but just out of curiosity how hard is it to replace the injectors? I know it's usually a significant project that most backyard mechanics won't do.
Port injectors are easy, direct injectors pretty damn involved. I'll put a link to a you-tuber I watch who did it to his car when he first started supercharging it:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdeO4rBwuQ4[/ame]

It's not replacing the injector, it's replacing the seals, also its only on cars that have the symptoms of popping. Otherwise you don't do it, also you'd want to update to an aftermarket tune or flash an updated factory tune so it doesn't happen again.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:37 AM   #334
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Port injectors are easy, direct injectors pretty damn involved. I'll put a link to a you-tuber I watch who did it to his car when he first started supercharging it:

It's not replacing the injector, it's replacing the seals, also its only on cars that have the symptoms of popping. Otherwise you don't do it, also you'd want to update to an aftermarket tune or flash an updated factory tune so it doesn't happen again.
Thanks.

I have a stage 1 tune now and it has solved a bunch of silly "issues" I had, nearly eliminated 'the dip' and I get quite a bit better mpg too.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:48 AM   #335
atomicalex

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited Perf Pack
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
WTZ85 - Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is recalling 2018 model year Legacy, Outback, and BRZ vehicles equipped with a certain combination of head unit hardware and software, due to the possibility of noncompliance with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard
Type: Recall | Service Campaign: WTZ85 | NHTSA Campaign: 18V-000000
Open
Recall Date: January 02, 2019
Description
18 LEG/OUT/BRZ V3 Head Unit Reprogram

Safety Risk
Due to a software issue, the head unit memory retrieval and assembly time may exceed the designed time to begin the boot-up cycle. If this occurs, the head unit display will not boot, causing the screen to remain blank. In this condition, while backing the vehicle, the rearview image may not be displayed. The failure to display the rearview image creates a noncompliance with the requirements of FMVSS 111 – “Rear Visibility,” increasing the risk of a crash.

Remedy

I'm guessing they will reprogram it? I will update when I get the recall completed.

edit - they reflashed the HU and now it boots faster. The ambient light sensor needed some time to recalibrate, that was annoying.

Last edited by atomicalex; 01-16-2019 at 01:56 PM.
atomicalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:00 AM   #336
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
The following alludes to a 11-184-18 and a new version of the ECM software

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...33&postcount=8

It's not out yet on Mitchell or Identifix and I need that sooo hard.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chirping, high pressure fuel pump