follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 02-25-2015, 02:49 PM   #729
Husker BRZ
Go Big Red!!

Drives: 2013 SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
So quick question, what did we decide was the perfect headlight HID temp to match the DRLs?

EDIT: Looking back thru the thread, @KelvinBRZ what made you pick 5000k? Just by looking and guessing? And post up pics if you have the replacement bulb in already please!
I have 6k bulbs that I got from DD. I just realized I don't have a single picture of the lights all on. I chose 6k because I felt it matched the DRL strip and the fog lights I bought from DD as well. Also when I was looking to purchase them, the majority of people swapping the lights were going to 6k as well and I wasn't finding any reliable 5k options out there!

Honestly, I think both the 5k and 6k "match" which I know is only my opinion. I will try to get a pic of mine up in the next few days.
Husker BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:20 PM   #730
adamg

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Don't want to turn this into a "what's the best HID to match the DRL's thread" but its obviously 5k or 6k.
However i have one more question,

Are the aftermarket HID's from @Diode Dynamics just as good with light distance as the OEM ones. I've never had good luck with replacing my HID's with aftermarket ones from other vendors in the past on my VW and Audi. They didn't have as good of a light distance like the OEM ones.
adamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #731
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamg View Post
Don't want to turn this into a "what's the best HID to match the DRL's thread" but its obviously 5k or 6k.

Are the aftermarket HID's from @Diode Dynamics just as good with light distance as the OEM ones. I've never had good luck with replacing my HID's with aftermarket ones from other vendors in the past on my VW and Audi. They didn't have as good of a light distance like the OEM ones.
Considering this is a thread about making DRLs stay on with the headlights, I figured it was a relevant question.

Your question however... :p
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:07 PM   #732
DaJo
FT86Club Vancouver

Drives: BRZ Sport-Tech; Drove: MR-S, AE86
Thanked 1,178 Times in 633 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by btoast View Post
@BRZtoni @Diode Dynamics

I just noticed today that I am having the same issue. When my stalk is set to "auto" none of my lights come on as DRL. Everything is off until it is dark enough for the sensor to flick on the lights. Then the normal DRL, headlamps, and boomerangs come on.

If I use the stalk to switch to parking lights (I think that's what it is called, it's one up just before headlamps) then the regular DRLs come on along with the boomerangs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZtoni View Post
UPDATE:

diode dynamic is sending me a new unit quick customer service
I will buy again if I need anymore HID or LED
Out of curiosity, how many of these are affected with this issue? Should I be worried?@Diode Dynamics

2013 BRZ Sport-Tech 6AT
Since '12 (OEM+ STI tS Build)
2015 Lexus IS250 AWD F-Sport 2 2015-2018
2018 Lexus NX300 F-Sport 3 Since '18
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:10 PM   #733
Blue-Sensei

Drives: '14 WRB BRZ LTD Turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
DRL strip stays on when the headlights are on but boomerangs don't come on with the DRL(when headlights are off, ebrake down), haven't moved the jumpers(both are in the upper position) Defective?
Edit: Apparently the same issue as @BRZtoni

Regarding HIDs:
I got 5000k HIDs from DD, they are really purple when you first turn them on, but eventually go white(after running for about 5-10 min). They also seem to really lack light output. Maybe I got two bad units? I dunno.
Blue-Sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:56 PM   #734
nocturne1

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Don't know about other people, but I did not get a single word on this product being available at all until I read the last few pages on this thread... and I'm on the list in the first post.

-alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJo View Post
Out of curiosity, how many of these are affected with this issue? Should I be worried?@Diode Dynamics
Yeah, now I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad that my order still hasn't shipped after 10 days...
nocturne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nocturne1 For This Useful Post:
DaJo (02-26-2015), Jmonty (02-25-2015), tinma (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 09:41 PM   #735
oaroyale

Drives: Black BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
You disengaged the parking brake right?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I don't think any of my lights come on during the day when its set to AUTO either. so what exactly is the expected behavior? boomerang on and DRL on day or night when set to AUTO?
Quote:
Originally Posted by btoast View Post
@BRZtoni @Diode Dynamics

I just noticed today that I am having the same issue. When my stalk is set to "auto" none of my lights come on as DRL. Everything is off until it is dark enough for the sensor to flick on the lights. Then the normal DRL, headlamps, and boomerangs come on.

If I use the stalk to switch to parking lights (I think that's what it is called, it's one up just before headlamps) then the regular DRLs come on along with the boomerangs.
oaroyale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:39 PM   #736
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Quote:

Aftermarket lights are never going to be as good as OEM (manufacturers)when it comes to HID...
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:55 PM   #737
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaroyale View Post
I don't think any of my lights come on during the day when its set to AUTO either. so what exactly is the expected behavior? boomerang on and DRL on day or night when set to AUTO?
During the day, DRLs and Boomerangs should be on when your light controls are OFF or AUTO. AND parking brake is disengaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Aftermarket lights are never going to be as good as OEM (manufacturers)when it comes to HID...
Thats mainly true of the projector/headlight housings, not the actual bulb.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:40 AM   #738
KelvinBRZ
GBS Mafia Member

Drives: with Snow mode on
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
So quick question, what did we decide was the perfect headlight HID temp to match the DRLs?

EDIT: Looking back thru the thread, @KelvinBRZ what made you pick 5000k? Just by looking and guessing? And post up pics if you have the replacement bulb in already please!
See that's my concern still. I didn't jump on another set of bulbs to replace the OEM ones, still confirming to see if the light matches as well as the intensity is as good as OEM... I was looking at DD's 5000k bulbs but there's little info/videos on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupint View Post
5000k is what I would go with also. It's 'whiter' than your typical halogen bulb (4300k) without the blue-ish tint you get with 6000k bulbs.
Funny thing, I followed a BRZ home today and I realized comparing our HIDs with other car HIDS (like BMW 3 series with bi-xenon option), ours is slightly yellowish. I think 5000K would do..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker BRZ View Post
I have 6k bulbs that I got from DD. I just realized I don't have a single picture of the lights all on. I chose 6k because I felt it matched the DRL strip and the fog lights I bought from DD as well. Also when I was looking to purchase them, the majority of people swapping the lights were going to 6k as well and I wasn't finding any reliable 5k options out there!

Honestly, I think both the 5k and 6k "match" which I know is only my opinion. I will try to get a pic of mine up in the next few days.
Please post pics if possible! The reason why I didn't want to go for 6000K was because the light output is not as bright or efficient.. something about 4300K being optimal since it's closer to sunlight.

Quote:

Maybe we should have a separate thread lol.. but I know what you mean, I had a nightmare with replacing even turn signals. Aftermarket HIDs are going to be a big concern, especially with quality, color, and brightness output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-Sensei View Post
Regarding HIDs:
I got 5000k HIDs from DD, they are really purple when you first turn them on, but eventually go white(after running for about 5-10 min). They also seem to really lack light output. Maybe I got two bad units? I dunno.
Could you post some pictures if you have a chance? If not no worries, but I'm just curious how DD's 5000K HIDs are.

GBS Mafia
KelvinBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:11 AM   #739
Blue-Sensei

Drives: '14 WRB BRZ LTD Turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelvinBRZ View Post
Could you post some pictures if you have a chance? If not no worries, but I'm just curious how DD's 5000K HIDs are.
I'll take some better shots tomorrow, but here's some phone pics. (Taken after coming back home, so lights have warmed up...also sorry for potato quality)

Blue-Sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue-Sensei For This Useful Post:
KelvinBRZ (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 01:14 AM   #740
KelvinBRZ
GBS Mafia Member

Drives: with Snow mode on
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-Sensei View Post
I'll take some better shots tomorrow, but here's some phone pics. (Taken after coming back home, so lights have warmed up...also sorry for potato quality)
Not a problem! These pics helped tremendously, thanks! I can sorta see the difference after studying the OEM headlights. It seems that the yellowish hue is completely gone. In your opinion, was it a worthy mod?

GBS Mafia
KelvinBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:19 AM   #741
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Quote:
Thats mainly true of the projector/headlight housings, not the actual bulb.

False. A cursory glance at hidplanet shows otherwise.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:23 AM   #742
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
So, I'm assuming it's not by design that the DRLs and boomerangs do not light up during the day when the stalk is set to auto since some of you said Diode Dynamics is sending out replacements?