follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-02-2017, 01:26 AM   #1
apkp11

Drives: 2015 Scion Fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Exclamation After market Steering wheel FAIL

Hey everyone! i got a Nrg hub and steering wheel and i installed it myself along with some friends. Now, while doing so, i did all the steps all the videos told me to do. keep the bolt on while i loosen the oem steering wheel etc. As soon as i turned my car on, i pulled out of my driveway an then 2 lights came on. ABS and Traction light. I read that it was an allignment issue so the next day i went and got my car allignment. Turns out, that was not the issue. no i am reading about the steering wheel clock spring and etc. If anyone else is having/ had this problem. please let me know about a solution! thank you
apkp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:23 AM   #2
spitfire481

Drives: 2JZ FRS
Thanked 1,354 Times in 621 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
did it delete the clock spring assembly? some of them do. if the clock spring is still there, the steering angle sensor probably has to be reset with a good scanner or toyota software.
@spitfire481
spitfire481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:11 PM   #3
Mackizzle86

Drives: FR-S
On the "7 o'clock" area on the clockspring there are two arrows that you have to align before you put the steering wheel on the splines. That should eliminate that problem.
Mackizzle86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:24 PM   #4
apkp11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackizzle86 View Post
On the "7 o'clock" area on the clockspring there are two arrows that you have to align before you put the steering wheel on the splines. That should eliminate that problem.
how would i fix the issue?
Old 10-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #5
apkp11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire481 View Post
did it delete the clock spring assembly? some of them do. if the clock spring is still there, the steering angle sensor probably has to be reset with a good scanner or toyota software.
No it didn't! it is the steering angle sensor. i got the codes read and its code c1231 or so which is steering wheel sensor! but i just wanna make sure before i spend money!
Old 10-09-2017, 12:48 AM   #6
haloterence

Drives: 2013 whiteout fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Watch this video on how to install the clock spring. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgNppI05-WI"]Brz/frs/gt86 clock spring, steering wheel & airbag replacement - YouTube[/ame]

Order the MINI VCI FOR TOYOTA TIS Techstream. You'll also need a laptop with Windows xp or 7 32bit to run the software.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-VCI-FOR...0AAOSwOyJX-0es

Follow these instructions.

NOTICE:

* While obtaining the zero point, keep the vehicle stationary and do not vibrate, tilt, move, or shake it. (Do not start the engine.) * Be sure to perform this procedure on a level surface (with an inclination of less than 1 degree). HINT
When VSC sensor neutral memorization is performed, the yaw rate and acceleration sensor and the steering sensor zero point calibration are performed at the same time.

(1)Turn the ignition switch off.(2)Check that the steering wheel is centered.(3)Check that the shift lever is in neutral.(4)Apply the parking brake by pulling up the parking brake lever.(5)Connect the Techstream to the DLC3.(6)Turn the ignition switch on.(7)Turn the Techstream on.(8)Enter the following menus: Chassis / ABS/VSC/TRAC / Utility / VSC Sensor Neutral Memorization.(9)According to the display on the Techstream, perform VSC sensor neutral memorization.(10)Turn the ignition switch off and disconnect the Techstream.
haloterence is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to haloterence For This Useful Post:
lutfy (03-08-2019)
Old 10-09-2017, 11:50 AM   #7
sirsol66

Drives: 2013 FRS- Hot Lava
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by haloterence View Post
Watch this video on how to install the clock spring.

Order the MINI VCI FOR TOYOTA TIS Techstream. You'll also need a laptop with Windows xp or 7 32bit to run the software.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-VCI-FOR...0AAOSwOyJX-0es

Follow these instructions.

NOTICE:

* While obtaining the zero point, keep the vehicle stationary and do not vibrate, tilt, move, or shake it. (Do not start the engine.) * Be sure to perform this procedure on a level surface (with an inclination of less than 1 degree). HINT
When VSC sensor neutral memorization is performed, the yaw rate and acceleration sensor and the steering sensor zero point calibration are performed at the same time.

(1)Turn the ignition switch off.(2)Check that the steering wheel is centered.(3)Check that the shift lever is in neutral.(4)Apply the parking brake by pulling up the parking brake lever.(5)Connect the Techstream to the DLC3.(6)Turn the ignition switch on.(7)Turn the Techstream on.(8)Enter the following menus: Chassis / ABS/VSC/TRAC / Utility / VSC Sensor Neutral Memorization.(9)According to the display on the Techstream, perform VSC sensor neutral memorization.(10)Turn the ignition switch off and disconnect the Techstream.
Isnt it just teachstream LITE that you can install on laptops, not the full system? I didnt realize you could do things like this with the VCI cable.
sirsol66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sirsol66 For This Useful Post:
johnowow (02-16-2021)
Old 10-11-2017, 04:22 PM   #8
haloterence

Drives: 2013 whiteout fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsol66 View Post
Isnt it just teachstream LITE that you can install on laptops, not the full system? I didnt realize you could do things like this with the VCI cable.
The software that was provided had all the function. Techstream (Ver 10.30.029).
haloterence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:31 PM   #9
lutfy

Drives: 2022 LR Defender, 2015 FRS_ST5/TT5
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by haloterence View Post
The software that was provided had all the function. Techstream (Ver 10.30.029).
This has become a real nightmare for me. Got the electronics working (phew). Got the clock spring aligned. Got everything reset. Light goes off. A full turn of the steering wheel. Comes back on.

Now the steering angle sensor circuit wont go away... The entire assembly was accidently removed when installing the aftermarket wheel.

Am speculating new angle sensor and clock spring

Thoughts? TIA

Lutfy
lutfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:17 PM   #10
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
This has become a real nightmare for me. Got the electronics working (phew). Got the clock spring aligned. Got everything reset. Light goes off. A full turn of the steering wheel. Comes back on.

Now the steering angle sensor circuit wont go away... The entire assembly was accidently removed when installing the aftermarket wheel.

Am speculating new angle sensor and clock spring

Thoughts? TIA

Lutfy
Did you ever figure this out?

I installed an aftermarket steering wheel, and I snagged the clock spring when I pulled off my wheel, which I knew I needed to avoid from a prior disassembly when I wrapped my OEM wheel. Oh well. The assembly unclipped and unwound. I was able to reassemble the clock spring, and I reinstalled everything. I got the abs and slip lights coming on, so I used a Techstream to do a zero point calibration, which eliminated the lights. I thought I was home free, but now when I turn the wheel all the way to the right (not the left) the lights come back on. I have no clue why. I get DTC 1231 which is the steering angle sensor, but I really don't understand if that sensor needs replacing because it was the clock spring that unwound. It is odd.

I was looking online and the clock spring and the steering angle sensors are two different pieces, and they are pretty expensive. What's worse is that I have no guarantee that replacing the sensor/s will fix the problem. All the harness wires and clips look fine and feel solid, but there is clearly some issue with the connection or something.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I am not too familiar with Techstream. I just got it for this issue (eBay version). When I look at the diagnostic information page from the DTC there is just a lot of numbers that I am clueless about. I could post a screen capture if it helps. All I have read online is people having a similar issue without it getting resolved, some of whom did wiring checks only to find odd readings with voltage, resistance, or odd values with the angle sensor.

Tags
aftermarket parts, lights, problems, steering wheel