follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-03-2011, 01:47 AM   #29
dazz1320

Drives: 01 integra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
What are those slits in the rear seats where the top of your butt/lower back would be?
That's where you hook up child safety seats.
dazz1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:11 AM   #30
random

Drives: Multiple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phontsolo View Post
Glad to see that for the most part Subara kept the US version almost identical to the Japanese version. Inside and out. You've made my decision very, very easy.

Now it's on to the color choice.... Subaru Blue, White or Grey.
For Subarus with sporting intentions, there's only one proper color: WR Blue Mica.
random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:47 AM   #31
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkptd447 View Post
dont remember where i saw this but its a decent read with some valuable info.http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

as for myself, im gunning it on the way home like i do regardless of what i drive

edit: this probably wouldnt hurt either
http://members.rennlist.com/oil/Motor%20Oil%20101.htm
Isnt the engine tested and somewhat broken in at factory?
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #32
m_life

Drives: Toyota Supra SZ
To quote 'BRZ was mostly engineered by Subaru and mostly styled by Toyota'.

Where do these guys get the information from exactly? They couldn't be much further from the truth if they tried.

If you notice all these tests have the same tune. It's Subaru PR with no say from Toyota but journos have to go with what they are told.

Funnily enough it's only been perpetuated by the American media... and a Subaru's American PR insistence.
m_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #33
tranzformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_life View Post

Where do these guys get the information from exactly? They couldn't be much further from the truth if they tried.

If you notice all these tests have the same tune. It's Subaru PR with no say from Toyota but journos have to go with what they are told.

Funnily enough it's only been perpetuated by the American media... and a Subaru's American PR insistence.
So you are a Toyota fanboy right? Let's get that out of the way first. We have had this discussion many times on here. You can take it for what it is worth.

All of the test mules, prototypes and even the production version are built off a Subaru platform.

The engine is a Subaru engine with some help from Toyota with D4S

Suspension is Subaru Impreza parts

Car is being built at Subaru Gunma plant

Why is it such a hard thing to grasp that Subaru did most of the engineering (obviously with some assistance from Toyota) and that Toyota did the styling (obviously with some assistance from Subaru)? It is a joint production car, but some team has to take the lead on production. Not that big of a deal that it was Subaru. The car is still great and both companies were involved.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #34
m_life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
So you are a Toyota fanboy right? Let's get that out of the way first.
Not really no I just dont see why Subaru PR should try and take the credit away from Toyota.

Quote:
All of the test mules, prototypes and even the production version are built off a Subaru platform.
I didn't really know that in my defence.

Quote:
The engine is a Subaru engine with some help from Toyota with D4S
And the work put in from Yamaha to significantly improve the head.

Quote:
Suspension is Subaru Impreza parts
As far as I was aware the suspension was unique to the car. If you have actual information/tech papers about this please do share.

Quote:
Car is being built at Subaru Gunma plant
To be fair that doesn't really mean much as few manufactures do this.

Quote:
Why is it such a hard thing to grasp that Subaru did most of the engineering (obviously with some assistance from Toyota) and that Toyota did the styling (obviously with some assistance from Subaru)? It is a joint production car, but some team has to take the lead on production. Not that big of a deal that it was Subaru. The car is still great and both companies were involved.
As I said originally I just think its silly that PR's can try and take the glory away from there partner company that made it possible to bring a new car to there range anyway.

Just because I have an opinion doesn't make me a fan boy.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #35
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
As I said originally I just think its silly that PR's can try and take the glory away from there partner company that made it possible to bring a new car to there range anyway.

Having an opinion doesn't make you a fanboy

Quote:

Making statements as though you are an expert when you know nothing about the subject is what makes you a fanboy. Subaru engineered and builds the car, Toyota was responsible for the styling. That's what each company has said from the beginning. When you get a Toyota 86 or Scion FRS open the hood and take a look for yourself.

Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #36
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Not really no I just dont see why Subaru PR should try and take the credit away from Toyota.
They haven't really. They did engineer the car. That's a fact, it's not "taking" credit from anyone else.

Quote:
This is a rumor that has not been confirmed through any production related press release or official production statement. Yamaha hasn't mentioned it, Toyota didn't mention it in the reveals, and neither did Subaru.

Quote:
As far as I was aware the suspension was unique to the car. If you have actual information/tech papers about this please do share.
It was stated that the suspension is based off an impreza. In pics, it looks basically exactly like an impreza in the rear and only slightly different up front. The point of the car was to be affordable, which means parts bin.

Quote:
Again, they haven't. Neither has really. If anything it was Toyota that tried to take more of the credit for the car's engineering than was deserved, not the other way around.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #37
coyote

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Subaru haven't actually done much talking on this issue. They were asked who did the engineering and they answered the question, giving credit to Toyota for doing the styling.

It seems important to Toyota fanbois that Toyota somehow get credit for the engineering, which is why Toyota have done so much talking on the issue.

Toyota seem very insecure about the idea that their new car was engineered by and is built by Subaru, as do their fanbois.

Mine will have the badge of whichever company offers the better deal.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #38
nrclptcnsmniak
Professional Athlete

Drives: Marty's Hover Board
Quote:
Nobody is taking credit away from anybody! Its a fact, its the truth!
Old 12-05-2011, 12:28 AM   #39
tranzformer

Quote:

I didn't really know that in my defence.

To be fair that doesn't really mean much as few manufactures do this.

Btw it isnt just America publications. Read this: http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...subaru_brz.htm

should answer all of your questions in regards to Subaru's involvement and engineering. This is a Subaru engineered car, just like their clear plexiglass show car pointed out. Toyota showed off their design with the different body's and Subaru showed of their engineering.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #40
m_life

Quote:
Btw it isnt just America publications. Read this: http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...subaru_brz.htm

should answer all of your questions in regards to Subaru's involvement and engineering. This is a Subaru engineered car, just like their clear plexiglass show car pointed out. Toyota showed off their design with the different body's and Subaru showed of their engineering.
That's fair enough. I can put my hands up and say I was wrong on this one. This is why I joined this forum as when you spend your time on Toyota forums the discussion becomes very one sided when it comes to manufacturers collaborating on a new car and most of the information posted is as you might guess very biased.

Tags
brz review, brz reviews, brz test drive review, brz test drive reviews, subaru brz review, subaru brz reviews, subaru test drive review