follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-08-2023, 05:53 PM   #1
CarsonTate

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation 2013 brz wont start after getting towed

This morning I was making a 3 point turn on a very narrow road and my back tires hit the grass i slid all the way down into a ditch, tried to get out and the tires just spun. called the towing company and got it towed and went to work.

Once i got to where it was towed to i tried to start it and there was no crank, only the radio and accessories turned on, we tried hooking a battery charger to it and still nothing.

any ideas on what it could be?
CarsonTate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 05:56 PM   #2
dynarun55

Drives: 2015 midnight blue limited edition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonTate View Post
This morning I was making a 3 point turn on a very narrow road and my back tires hit the grass i slid all the way down into a ditch, tried to get out and the tires just spun. called the towing company and got it towed and went to work.

Once i got to where it was towed to i tried to start it and there was no crank, only the radio and accessories turned on, we tried hooking a battery charger to it and still nothing.

any ideas on what it could be?
So when i'm assuming MT ? When you press the clutch and break does the green wifi looking icon light up and stay on without blinking?

Also have you tried turning the start button on and off multiple times, to prime the fuel pump ?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
dynarun55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 06:54 PM   #3
CarsonTate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynarun55 View Post
So when i'm assuming MT ? When you press the clutch and break does the green wifi looking icon light up and stay on without blinking?

Also have you tried turning the start button on and off multiple times, to prime the fuel pump ?
yes mt and yes the green wifi key thing pops up, ive also tried multiple times to turn it on

edit: i think i remember it flashing
Old 08-09-2023, 09:30 AM   #4
dynarun55

Yeah so were you able to start it ? I ran into this a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was heat related. I have to let my car sit in the 110 F sun all day while I'm at work and sometimes the car wouldn't start. Drove myself mad. I now think this was due to my key fob going mad. So now, basically, I get in the car, press the clutch and brake, make sure the green symbol is solid and then push the start button. And it fires right up. I have quarantined the other fob and need to get it replaced.

Old 08-09-2023, 07:53 PM   #5
CarsonTate

the towing company was able to start it, i dont know what they did differently they just said it started fine.

it drives fine tho, both of the bumpers came off when i was in the ditch so im driving around bumperless until i get it fixed lmao
Old 08-09-2023, 07:59 PM   #6
dynarun55

Quote:
the towing company was able to start it, i dont know what they did differently they just said it started fine.

it drives fine tho, both of the bumpers came off when i was in the ditch so im driving around bumperless until i get it fixed lmao
So I had a feeling I would jinx myself after I typed this but I am having the same problem now. The only thing I can confidently say is that it happens after I park the car in the super hot or after the car has heat soaked. It just won't start instantly. When you slid the car, did you try to rev it up and to get out ? And in the process really heat up the fluids ? Just a theory might not be true at all. Also are you on a tune? E85 ? Where are you located ?

Old 08-09-2023, 09:18 PM   #7
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:

Hmm, is your external temp sensor still dangling somewhere? I doubt it gets used as a reference for any starting tables rather than IAT, but....maybe?
Old 08-09-2023, 10:19 PM   #8
dynarun55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Hmm, is your external temp sensor still dangling somewhere? I doubt it gets used as a reference for any starting tables rather than IAT, but....maybe?
Yo DarkPira7e any idea whats going on with my stuff lol. No one has been able to figure it out.

Old 08-09-2023, 10:29 PM   #9
dynarun55

Quote:
Where is it located. Since I always seem to have this problem after I park out in the 110 F hot Texas Sun.

Old 08-09-2023, 10:45 PM   #10
dynarun55

Quote:
Still doesn't explain why the key fob detector wouldn't 'unlock' the car as in it would flash green instead of being solid green.

Old 08-17-2023, 12:47 PM   #11
noodle

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
... The only thing I can confidently say is that it happens after I park the car in the super hot or after the car has heat soaked. It just won't start instantly. ...
this might not help but worth a try maybe? This sounds similar to my situation where the car wouldn't start if it was parked outside on hot days. The key icon would flash when stepping on the clutch and car would go into accessory mode.

If you can reach the clutch safety switch area, press down and hold the little button underneath and try to start your car with the clutch pressed down. If the car turns on fine after that, than this might be your issue.

I replaced my clutch safety switch and the issue has been resolved.
noodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 01:03 PM   #12
dynarun55

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
this might not help but worth a try maybe? This sounds similar to my situation where the car wouldn't start if it was parked outside on hot days. The key icon would flash when stepping on the clutch and car would go into accessory mode.

If you can reach the clutch safety switch area, press down and hold the little button underneath and try to start your car with the clutch pressed down. If the car turns on fine after that, than this might be your issue.

I replaced my clutch safety switch and the issue has been resolved.
Yep literally this. I just got the switches yesterday. How do you know if it was the switch or the connector and circuit that got fried ? I guess just replace the switch and see or ?

Old 08-17-2023, 01:15 PM   #13
noodle

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
...How do you know if it was the switch or the connector and circuit that got fried ? I guess just replace the switch and see or ?...
I'm not too savvy with this stuff but the safety clutch switch makes contact with some button to activate? For me, the car would start fine if I held down that button. If you can replicate this, then I think just the switch is faulty. Any more after that I am not sure.
noodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 01:17 PM   #14
dynarun55

Yeah I don't need to hold it down per se, but I need to press down on the clutch a little longer before I can see the green symbol. Usually connecting and disconnecting the switch and kinda pressing the connector onto the switch fixes it

Tags
brz, towed, wont start