follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #1
Project N64
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: BRZ
Location: Bay Area,CA
Posts: 32
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2013 BRZ oil consumption

what is normal oil consumption for a BRZ? i hear some people talking about 7k+ interval oil changes. Is that without topping it off? for me at 3000-3500 miles the dipstick gets very low. should i just stick to 3k intervals? i set up an oil consumption test with dealer i will return in 1200 miles returning car stock. could my engine be prematurely failing? it's flash tuned with a uel header since 12k miles nothing else, it's at 27k miles now. Has always been dealer maintained have all records showing the car has never been neglected with it's maintenance. I have never over revv'd the car, i hear this is a common engine killer. Also could a compression and leakdown test with good results and still have something broken and or prematurely worn with the engine? The consumption started at around 17k miles

Last edited by Project N64; 11-11-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Project N64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:42 PM   #2
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 23,346
Thanks: 17,479
Thanked 20,865 Times in 11,548 Posts
Mentioned: 531 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project N64 View Post
what is normal oil consumption for a BRZ? i hear some people talking about 7k+ interval oil changes. Is that without topping it off? for me at 3000-3500 miles the dipstick gets very low. should i just stick to 3k intervals? i set up an oil consumption test with dealer i will return in 1200 miles returning car stock. could my engine be prematurely failing? it's flash tuned with a uel header since 12k miles nothing else, it's at 27k miles now. Has always been dealer maintained have all records showing the car has never been neglected with it's maintenance. I have never over revv'd the car, i hear this is a common engine killer. Also could a compression and leakdown test with good results and still have something broken and or prematurely worn with the engine? The consumption started at around 17k miles
snap out of it, Project N64.

I'm ah feared you are trying to compare red apples to green apples. Oil consumption usually has little or nothing to do with oil change interval.

I understand is that adding a quart of oil between 7,000 mile oil chances is not unusual for this engine. My 2013 FR-S takes about 1/2 a quart between oil changes.

I suggest you just follow the oil change recommendations in the maintenance manual and add enough oil between oil changes to keep the line on the dipstick near the top hole.

Now, relax and take a nice Sunday drive


humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Mr.ac (11-11-2018), ROFL it's Waffle (11-27-2019)
Old 11-12-2018, 01:08 AM   #3
Bonburner
Senior Member
 
Bonburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: M/T Argento FRS
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,298
Thanks: 1,411
Thanked 293 Times in 210 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I have 0 oil consumption and I do oil changes at 7.5k .. sometimes a little higher. I think one time I unknowingly waited until 10k.

edit: im at little over 79k
__________________
Purchased: 6/22/12
Mods: aFe Magnum FLOW Pro 5R; Deka Intimidator 35; JDM Underpanels; KYB Excel-G Struts; PowerStop Drilled & Slotted Rotors; Seicane S16003; Morimoto 35W XB H11B 6500K HID kit

Last edited by Bonburner; 11-12-2018 at 03:06 AM.
Bonburner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonburner For This Useful Post:
Tristor (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 01:46 AM   #4
Spuds
The Devil Incarnate
 
Spuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 3,393
Thanks: 7,432
Thanked 2,773 Times in 1,678 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I typically burn half a quart to a quart between oil changes (~5k miles). The top hole on the dipstick to the bottom hole is a quart. This is normal, modern engines burn oil on purpose.

While it would be a bit odd for an engine to suddenly behave differently, it could be that you just started noticing at 17k? Perhaps your driving changed a bit (different commute, more aggressive on throttle, etc)?

Also, it's entirely possible the dealer filled it half a quart less than maximum for one reason or another. Oil fill isn't the most precise of measurements.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:07 AM   #5
86MLR
Senior Member
 
86MLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: 2017 86 limited
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,506
Thanks: 239
Thanked 1,135 Times in 637 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've have no oil consumption issues in my FA20 or my EJ25.

Both were broken in hard though.

If your overly concerned you can fit a "good" baffled catch can and see how much blow by you have.

If you have alot, I would then look at a compression and leak down and go from there.

Be aware that doing a comp and leak on a boxer is a royal PITA.

If your not concerned, just keep topping it up.
__________________
Disclaimer: This post represents the official views of the voices in my head at the time of posting.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133311
I'm only here for the biscuits
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 08:10 AM   #6
Project N64
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: BRZ
Location: Bay Area,CA
Posts: 32
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks for the responses everyone. The car isn't driven really hard or abused. I find it very odd that plenty of people are reporting zero consumption, i understand there are plenty of factors but with me ending up low on the dipstick at 3-3500 miles i think there is something wrong (i could be wrong). I check the oil every few times i gas up. Has been confirmed to have no leaks before this consumption test. Service adviser even told me brz's aren't known to be consuming oil. Guess compression and leakdown is way to go if there's excessive oil gone.
Project N64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:50 AM   #7
JIM THEO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Drives: BRZ 2018
Location: Greece
Posts: 358
Thanks: 67
Thanked 85 Times in 59 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
I've have no oil consumption issues in my FA20 or my EJ25.

Both were broken in hard though.
Same brake in method in my last two Subarus, no oil consumption at all!
JIM THEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:19 AM   #8
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord
 
Stang70Fastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,790
Thanks: 827
Thanked 1,996 Times in 806 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I did 10,000 miles on my last oil change, added no oil that entire time, and the dipstick had only lost about 1/4" of oil.
__________________
.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #9
DarkPira7e
Handin' out 1 Deags
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 13 Firestorm Red FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,369
Thanks: 768
Thanked 993 Times in 555 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Have you checked the cam plate or anywhere to see if your car is leaking oil externally? Seems like a common sense thing to do. Clean the grime underneath the car (including around your oil pan) and next time it's on a lift, see if there's oil dribbling
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:23 AM   #10
Project N64
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: BRZ
Location: Bay Area,CA
Posts: 32
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Have you checked the cam plate or anywhere to see if your car is leaking oil externally? Seems like a common sense thing to do. Clean the grime underneath the car (including around your oil pan) and next time it's on a lift, see if there's oil dribbling
Dealer did a full inspection, I made it very clear it was consuming oil they said there's nothing visable even under the car. I have looked all over the engine bay, even cam plate area because I even heard there was a tsb for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Project N64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:56 PM   #11
Tristor
Senior Member
 
Tristor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 586
Thanks: 2,917
Thanked 513 Times in 271 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm just shy of 16k miles on a 2017 BRZ, most of that has been on back roads or on track (e.g. at high RPM/high load), and I have had no oil consumption whatsoever. I check my oil every time I fill up just in case, but it's always held to the same mark every time. I change the oil every 3k or 3 track days.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:34 PM   #12
DarkPira7e
Handin' out 1 Deags
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 13 Firestorm Red FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,369
Thanks: 768
Thanked 993 Times in 555 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project N64 View Post
Dealer did a full inspection, I made it very clear it was consuming oil they said there's nothing visable even under the car. I have looked all over the engine bay, even cam plate area because I even heard there was a tsb for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Yeah I figured you had, wondering if they actually put in the effort to really LOOK. As stated previously, unless you're billowing blue smoke, I wouldn't be terribly concerned, it happens in most engines but usually not this extensively. A quart is an awful lot. pull off your intake and PCV hoses and look for oil in there
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:32 PM   #13
Grady
Senior Member
 
Grady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Drives: BRZ Yellow, 00 outback, 05 Colorado
Location: Dallas
Posts: 735
Thanks: 153
Thanked 532 Times in 303 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project N64 View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone. The car isn't driven really hard or abused. I find it very odd that plenty of people are reporting zero consumption, i understand there are plenty of factors but with me ending up low on the dipstick at 3-3500 miles i think there is something wrong (i could be wrong). I check the oil every few times i gas up. Has been confirmed to have no leaks before this consumption test. Service adviser even told me brz's aren't known to be consuming oil. Guess compression and leakdown is way to go if there's excessive oil gone.
All engines consume oil. Some more than others. Just because it uses a little oil is not a indication that it is worse shape than one that uses less. Power seats rings. If they put to much power to it early and overheated the rings you are screwed, nothing you can do but live with it. If they just did not seat good you could get them to seat a little better by running the engine hard.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:23 PM   #14
86MLR
Senior Member
 
86MLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: 2017 86 limited
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,506
Thanks: 239
Thanked 1,135 Times in 637 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
All engines consume oil. Some more than others. Just because it uses a little oil is not a indication that it is worse shape than one that uses less. Power seats rings. If they put to much power to it early and overheated the rings you are screwed, nothing you can do but live with it. If they just did not seat good you could get them to seat a little better by running the engine hard.
If you dont get good ring and bore seal initially when breaking in the engine then you've missed the boat.

Running the engine hard will not fix the issue after the fact.

Light reading > http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/201...the-right-way/
__________________
Disclaimer: This post represents the official views of the voices in my head at the time of posting.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133311
I'm only here for the biscuits
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
Tristor (11-12-2018)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil Consumption? smbstyle Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting 42 10-08-2019 04:50 PM
Track Day Oil Consumption tofurun Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 19 10-01-2019 09:27 AM
Measuring oil consumption radroach Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) 3 09-30-2019 01:16 PM
E-85 consumption Lunatic Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting 16 01-28-2016 09:15 PM
86 / BRZ Oil Consumption ZZT86 AUSTRALIA 1 04-29-2013 08:53 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.