follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
A Public Service Announcement.

I have a weird/sad/creepy story...

OK, so last year, we sold a Red 94 Supra to a nice gentleman from Mississippi. He was 24 years old and always wanted a Supra. He came to Dallas and bought it and decided to drive back to Mississippi. The next day, we get a call from his wife, sobbing, telling us that he had lost control in the rain on the way home and crashed it into a tree. He died in the accident.

We were all very shaken by this event and have since always considered the possibilities of accidents due to reckless driving and inclement weather.

That was a year ago. Today, a buddy on Supraforums messaged me with a link.

http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch....SEARCH_RESULTS

In the link, I found this.

This is the same car that my brothers and I put months of work into, and our young buyer subsequently crashed and died in.

This gave me some serious chills, and it further fortifies my belief that driving in a dangerous manner is something that we should take seriously.

I don't want to hear about any FT86 Clubber's death because they "Orido'd" themselves into a telephone pole. So drive safely! Keep your hard driving to the track! And be wary of rain and snow.
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
stevo_12v (08-31-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
MmmHamSandwich
You know you want it.

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Why would the wife call you to tell you that I wonder...?

At any rate, always keep an edge on public roads folks. We're enthusiasts here and we enjoy spirited driving, but you can have fun while keeping your safety and the safety of those around you in mind.

As a first responder I've been to several accidents. Some of them could fairly genuinely be called "accidents" but some don't really fit the definition because someone made a poor decision against their better judgement. I've seen some lives ruined and ended out there. Think safe, and drive accordingly.
MmmHamSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
Guff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmHamSandwich View Post
Why would the wife call you to tell you that I wonder...?

At any rate, always keep an edge on public roads folks. We're enthusiasts here and we enjoy spirited driving, but you can have fun while keeping your safety and the safety of those around you in mind.

As a first responder I've been to several accidents. Some of them could fairly genuinely be called "accidents" but some don't really fit the definition because someone made a poor decision against their better judgement. I've seen some lives ruined and ended out there. Think safe, and drive accordingly.
We actually called his cell phone number a few times to see if he got home. When they recovered his cell phone and gave it to his wife, she saw the missed calls and called us back... She wasn't accusing us or anything.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

On March 25, 2005. Your beloved forum moderator WingsofWar was coming home from work at 5:00pm. It was Black Saturday for you superstitious catholic folk. It had rained heavily that morning, making the roads extra slick and oily from the previous 2 week heat wave. His S14's tires were ill equipped to handle the rain that day, and he wrapped his car around a tree.

When Paramedics and Fire department found him, his head was resting on the tree while his body was still in the car.

After long intensive Surgery and 5 months in a coma...he died.

In Heaven, he had received word about a FT86. He knew he needed to come back to earth and have another chance at a RWD sports coupe. And God resurrected him granting him one more chance..

Moral of the story.

Drive carefully FT86club members. Don't take rain lightly.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
Guff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post

On March 25, 2005. Your beloved forum moderator WingsofWar was coming home from work at 5:00pm. It was Black Saturday for you superstitious catholic folk. It had rained heavily that morning, making the roads extra slick and oily from the previous 2 week heat wave. His S14's tires were ill equipped to handle the rain that day, and he wrapped his car around a tree.

When Paramedics and Fire department found him, his head was resting on the tree while his body was still in the car.

In Heaven, he had received word about a FT86. He knew he needed to come back to earth and have another chance at a RWD sports coupe. And God resurrected him granting him one more chance..

Moral of the story.

Surely nobody understands how important safety it is better than you do, Wings. And we're all very thankful that you're here, laying the banhammer on all teh n00bs.

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I wrapped my Accord around a pole too, a couple of weeks ago... in the rain.

Moral of the story; buy rain tires.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:16 AM   #7
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post

OK, so last year, we sold a Red 94 Supra to a nice gentleman from Mississippi. He was 24 years old and always wanted a Supra. He came to Dallas and bought it and decided to drive back to Mississippi. The next day, we get a call from his wife, sobbing, telling us that he had lost control in the rain on the way home and crashed it into a tree. He died in the accident.

We were all very shaken by this event and have since always considered the possibilities of accidents due to reckless driving and inclement weather.

This is the same car that my brothers and I put months of work into, and our young buyer subsequently crashed and died in.

This gave me some serious chills, and it further fortifies my belief that driving in a dangerous manner is something that we should take seriously.

I don't want to hear about any FT86 Clubber's death because they "Orido'd" themselves into a telephone pole. So drive safely! Keep your hard driving to the track! And be wary of rain and snow.

Holy shit.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:41 AM   #8
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I flew off my bikes a few times because of the road condition (wet, muddy, sandy). I'm always careful when riding and driving on a wet surface or any road condition. Sh*t happens, but if you're extra careful, you can minimize the damage.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:21 AM   #9
ZetaVI
Gundam Meister

Drives: A Gundam
Thanked 1,010 Times in 510 Posts
That's a really sad story. Stay safe everybody.
ZetaVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post

DAMN, that's pretty sad. Aside from all the work you and your bothers put into that supra, I really wish well to the drivers wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post

Moral of the story.

Sorry, but I don't take that story very well. I know your joking around, but I don't like hearing that kind of blasphemy. Although I am glad you're okay man. Just saying though.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Holy flying carp, Guff. That dude must have been really flying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-17 View Post
Sorry, but I don't take that story very well. I know your joking around, but I don't like hearing that kind of blasphemy. Although I am glad you're okay man. Just saying though.
Technically that's not blasphemy. He didn't say why God sent him back only that he heard about the FT86 in heaven.

BTW, the FT86 didn't exist in 2005. So why did God send you back WoW? To educate all the fishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #12
Guff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
Holy flying carp, Guff. That dude must have been really flying!

Technically that's not blasphemy. He didn't say why God sent him back only that he heard about the FT86 in heaven.

BTW, the FT86 didn't exist in 2005. So why did God send you back WoW? To educate all the fishes.
Yeah man, I have no clue why he was going so fast in the rain, but one twitch of the wheel and a bit too much throttle and it's very easy to lose the tail...
Old 04-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
Chenslee

Drives: 2015 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I wrapped my hand around a pole. Thank God it was someone else's.
Chenslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Wow, Guff, that is very sad to hear. Josh, your crash is gnarly too!

I really hate to say this but I speak from experience. At 24 yrs old, people think they are so invincible and the sky is the limit. I've seen too many lives lost due to speed, esp with motorcycles. This is tragic and let this be a reminder to the younger generation here that the streets are not the place to mess around.