follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep, Sarlacc

Old 05-17-2019, 11:44 AM   #1695
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
My only two suggestions would be a faster clocked ram your mobo can handle 4000 or 4133.
I always struggle to understand which is better. For example, the ram I selected is 3200 with timing of 14-14-14-34. If I bump up to, say, 4000, the timing also jumps up to 19-23-23-45. What's more critical? Higher speed, or faster timings?

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #1696
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
I always struggle to understand which is better. For example, the ram I selected is 3200 with timing of 14-14-14-34. If I bump up to, say, 4000, the timing also jumps up to 19-23-23-45. What's more critical? Higher speed, or faster timings?
The faster ram will be helpful in some rare situations where you're actually memory bandwidth limited. Are you using an IGPU? That's mainly the kind of situation I'm talking about. Otherwise there will be little to no performance improvement. If your CPU is fast enough to feed your GPU, and your hard drive is fast enough to feed your CPU, you'll be fine.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Stang70Fastback (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 02:16 PM   #1697
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
The faster ram will be helpful in some rare situations where you're actually memory bandwidth limited. Are you using an IGPU? That's mainly the kind of situation I'm talking about. Otherwise there will be little to no performance improvement. If your CPU is fast enough to feed your GPU, and your hard drive is fast enough to feed your CPU, you'll be fine.
No IGPU. Going to have a 2080 Ti. I've done some more reading, and it sounds like faster RAM is useful for benchmarks, and some specific things, but generally speaking, isn't going to make a very meaningful difference...?

In the process of researching, I also discovered that Corsair's Dominator series is really for people who will be overclocking the shit out of things, and want exceptionally stable RAM. I don't plan to do any overclocking, and so it sounds like the cheaper Vengeance RAM would be more appropriate for me. Given that, and given that all-out speed apparently isn't a HUGE issue, what about something like this? The timings are *relatively* low, and it also doubles my RAM, in order to throw @Cole a bone... all while actually being slightly cheaper than the 16 Gb of Dominator RAM I had previously selected.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Catego...2GX4M2C3333C16

(For the record, I'm sticking with Corsair because I have no desire to install yet another piece of software just to play with colors on my RAM sticks, lol. Didn't even know about this RGB craze until I got back into this stuff a month ago. I'd actually be perfectly happy with NON-RGB RAM, but RGB doesn't seem to cost much more these days, so f**k it, lol. Otherwise, I'd probably be looking at other brands, such as G.Skill, which I remember I used to use almost exclusively back in the day.)

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:44 PM   #1698
00NissanNinja
The Thread Lurker

Drives: '14 BRZ, '17 GTI, MT09
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:

I run 32GB of that in my machine works great. I also game, do software development, and computer graphics stuff as well on my computer. Also some motherboards will let you mess with the LEDs on the memory without installing corsair iCUE you just won't have as much control over it. If I recall correctly I remember a the memory timings becomes more important on AMD Ryzen machines since they can take better advantage than intel.
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 00NissanNinja For This Useful Post:
Stang70Fastback (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 08:20 PM   #1699
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
They are both equally as important. You can find true ram speed calculators to see what one is truly faster. To over simplify it it’s basically speed divided by latency. 20/4 or 10/2 both equal 5. Or 21/3 vs 12/2 first would be better. The other numbers do matter but not as much. It does get complicated without a comparison calculator.

But I will say with the money your spending on gpu and cpu etc.. why skimp on the ram. As long as you have 16gbs you can add another stick later. Sure cheaper ram might work “fine” just like a 1070 ti for 1/2 the price might work “fine” but from the rest of your parts list and your no compromise build id look at getting the best ram you can use. I haven’t looked at everything available but maybe some 3600 with 15-15-15-35 or 3733/3800 would have the best ratio. Or maybe the one you chose does I havnt looked closely enough. But I’d play around with the ratios available.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:34 PM   #1700
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Seems like some odd compromises in your build, then. Not quite enough RAM for those productivity tasks, and a Radeon VII would probably suit you a bit better if it's going to be a "do it all" system.

Also, max settings for screenshots, high settings for game play
Hi ya @Cole -

When is the big (wedding) day ?

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:57 PM   #1701
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
No IGPU. Going to have a 2080 Ti. I've done some more reading, and it sounds like faster RAM is useful for benchmarks, and some specific things, but generally speaking, isn't going to make a very meaningful difference...?

In the process of researching, I also discovered that Corsair's Dominator series is really for people who will be overclocking the shit out of things, and want exceptionally stable RAM. I don't plan to do any overclocking, and so it sounds like the cheaper Vengeance RAM would be more appropriate for me. Given that, and given that all-out speed apparently isn't a HUGE issue, what about something like this? The timings are *relatively* low, and it also doubles my RAM, in order to throw @Cole a bone... all while actually being slightly cheaper than the 16 Gb of Dominator RAM I had previously selected.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Catego...2GX4M2C3333C16

(For the record, I'm sticking with Corsair because I have no desire to install yet another piece of software just to play with colors on my RAM sticks, lol. Didn't even know about this RGB craze until I got back into this stuff a month ago. I'd actually be perfectly happy with NON-RGB RAM, but RGB doesn't seem to cost much more these days, so f**k it, lol. Otherwise, I'd probably be looking at other brands, such as G.Skill, which I remember I used to use almost exclusively back in the day.)
Botique RAM is a scam. Get whatever is cheapest and then do some memory testing. If it can pass the testing, you're fine. The last time I bought desktop RAM, I ended up with flashing lights because it was cheaper. No other reason. The box was closed, so it didn't bother me.

I used to write about this shit for a living. I now use an Alienware laptop with an upgraded SSD. 16GB of RAM is plenty for me, as is a 1060GTX. I'd rather have a better screen than a faster CPU, and I'd rather have a faster hard driver than a faster GPU or CPU. Most importantly, I want a shit ton of storage, which I have. 4TB of SSD for a laptop.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-18-2019), soundman98 (05-17-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #1702
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
I've played Rage 2 for a couple of hours and already I'm looking forward to the next game to buy. I'm finding Rage 2 to be uninspiring, it seems like a generic hodgepodge of other games I have played. It is not bad, just ordinary. *sigh* I don't even know when the next game I'm interested in gets released (and there aren't that many).
I've heard that from others, and is part of the reason they've already patched out DRM (plus the whole, DRM on Steam not on other platforms thing).

I think I'll hold off until its on sale later in the year before looking at picking it up.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:26 PM   #1703
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
All I see is a lot of ways to bring the overall price down. Do you need the absolute best of the best?
Pretty much how I see it although I can't really argue with any any of the choices given "unlimited funds". I'd probably scale back the video card one notch, but I've never been a fan of buying top level cards. There never seems to be the performance/cost ratio there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
..If you want to save money, consider an unlocked I5, and a slightly lower spec mobo...
I've been building my own PCs for over 30 years, and have ALWAYS found it better to go as high a processor as you can afford, and in the past 20 years, the second highest tier video card. With the processor, today's highest level processor is probably going to last you 5 to 7 years (easy) of business use and up to 5 years for gaming applications. A video card is usually good for 3 years.

In general I've found I upgrade my video card mid CPU cycle. (if I keep a CPU 6 years, I've likely had 2 or maybe 3 video cards).

My son wanted to build a new gaming computer for his college graduation present so we are in the process of putting that list together. There is an "under $2,000" limit on it based on our gift contribution and what he was able to put into it. This is our list (missing a couple of components that we plan to pick up locally either at Fry's or Micro Center.)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JKLsdX

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-18-2019), Spuds (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 02:01 AM   #1704
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I've been building my own PCs for over 30 years, and have ALWAYS found it better to go as high a processor as you can afford, and in the past 20 years, the second highest tier video card. With the processor, today's highest level processor is probably going to last you 5 to 7 years (easy) of business use and up to 5 years for gaming applications. A video card is usually good for 3 years.

In general I've found I upgrade my video card mid CPU cycle. (if I keep a CPU 6 years, I've likely had 2 or maybe 3 video cards).

My son wanted to build a new gaming computer for his college graduation present so we are in the process of putting that list together. There is an "under $2,000" limit on it based on our gift contribution and what he was able to put into it. This is our list (missing a couple of components that we plan to pick up locally either at Fry's or Micro Center.)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JKLsdX
I typically go for the greatest value target. I didn't think processors were a bottleneck for most gaming since they are relatively efficient with back-end calculations. If you also want to do other cpu-intensive stuff or multitask like a boss then I can see your point, but an i7 or even i5 gets you everything you need for gaming for less money.

I'm going on 7 years with a Haswell i5 (now OC'ed), which is worse than any of these options. I haven't really done much in terms of stressing it recently though, so it might get interesting if I start doing modeling for my 3d printer...

I'm with you on the GPU. The top of the line stuff is not worth the premium price.

I definitely like those Corsair all-in-one coolers. Both me and my wife have them. I couldn't fit an h100 in my case so I stuffed an h80 in the external drive bay lol.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-19-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 08:44 AM   #1705
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
I definitely like those Corsair all-in-one coolers. Both me and my wife have them. I couldn't fit an h100 in my case so I stuffed an h80 in the external drive bay lol.
We put this together last night, and I definitely like the cooler (first time I've used it). Only problem is we had to take the fans off twice to plug in things we didn't think about first. Once to get the memory in and once to plug in the processor power.

We also didn't realize the case we purchased didn't have a front DVD/Bluray opening in it! Geez, I didn't even think to look. Not a big deal for this build and he decided to live with it, or get an external if it ever became a problem but now I know to look. The world keeps on moving. Those couple of things reminded me how rusty I am at this.

The good news is that when we hit the switch everything worked!

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Spuds (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 03:36 PM   #1706
BlueSTaR

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited & 16 Hyperblue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I run watercooled i7 8700k, evga 1080ti, 32gb 3400 ddr4, 1tb XPG NVME, on a gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 mobo and it seems to run league of legends just fine which is what I need it for.
Dadhawk (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 05:30 PM   #1707
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSTaR View Post
I run watercooled i7 8700k, evga 1080ti, 32gb 3400 ddr4, 1tb XPG NVME, on a gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 mobo and it seems to run league of legends just fine which is what I need it for.
I'm fairly certain that is the epitome of overkill...

It's like using a gyrostabilized 120mm cannon with an integrated ballistics computer, auto tracking gimbal system and loaded with high explosive smart munitions to shoot a chipmunk that's eating your garden.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:05 PM   #1708
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
I'm fairly certain that is the epitome of overkill...

It's like using a gyrostabilized 120mm cannon with an integrated ballistics computer, auto tracking gimbal system and loaded with high explosive smart munitions to shoot a chipmunk that's eating your garden.
Yea, but the damn chipmunk deserves it (says a guy who has about 90 of them living under my deck).

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Spuds (05-24-2019)

Tags
pc master race, u no have 3080