follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-27-2014, 11:01 PM   #43
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I dd'd an S2000 for about 7 years and think the BRZ is definitely more practical and just as fun to drive.

I do miss the F20C 9k redline/VTEC and driving with the top down, but that's about it. The BRZ has that same cockpit feel as the S2000 which is one of the qualities I wanted when looking for a new car. Test drive one you will not be disappointed. It is definitely what sold me.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:07 AM   #44
Darnold

Drives: 04' 400whp S2000, 01' DD S2000
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMunchies? View Post
I came from an S197 Mustang GT that I'd done some work to and that was my pretty much my impression. While the car itself and its modifications made it objectively fast and fairly predictable on the track, there wasn't much of the sensation of driving. And at that point, it wasn't very usable as a daily driver. The motor (even the 4.6) was great - really linear, made a great sound, willing to rev, tough as hell, and easy to work on. But you'd spend a lap guiding a car that felt heavy, and big, and had poor seats and visibility that did little to tell you what was going on.

I like the 86's because they're so much more about the sensation of driving and involving the driver than objective speed. I know I'll never be the fastest racer around a track, but I will have the biggest smile. I don't care about numbers, I just care about enjoying myself. The 86 delivers fun everywhere and doesn't compromise much on the drive home.
Glad I am not the only one, the 86 to me is a means to an end. It's a respectful car that you can have a blast driving and improve you're own abilities in and that is overall what I wanted most out of a new Daily Driver.

Down the road I'll have an atom 3 (or newer whenever I feel ready) after I graduate out of my OTHER s2000 that is heavily modified and can drive that at it's limits.

Gameplan as of now:

- Buy BRZ limited and leave it stock (including stock tires)
- Drive in 3-4 autoX events before the end of the year (maybe a road course day)
- Next year get better tires/exhaust/sway bar (max for stock class with SCCA)
- Once that's at it's limits get suspension parts and then power. Then graduate up into the widebody s2k and keep moving forward and retire the BRZ to a daily driver.

That won't last but it's a respectful gameplan... I give it next summer the BRZ would be supercharged
Old 08-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #45
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Surprised no one has linked this yet...

[ame]http://youtu.be/IwPW0iWYTNk[/ame]
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #46
grinerizer

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Check TrueCar for the lowest dealer pricing in your area on new units. We set our TrueCar for invoice or even below for units we're really trying to move.

Don't submit the price to the dealers. They'll hound you with phone calls and emails. Just print out their price, and bring it to them. Added bonus, they'll be happy they don't have to pay TrueCar $400 on a flat deal, and may make it up to you in some way.
grinerizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #47
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnold View Post
Cons:
- Somewhat cheeky build quality for interior (felt a bit childish but not as bad as a STI)
JPM Coachworks can fix that. My only real gripe with the car was the low quality interior materials, too. The ergonomics and style are good, but the cheap plastics leave something to be desired. You don't have to go whole hog like I did, but at the very least a leather or Alcantara shift boot, e-brake boot, gauge cluster hood, and OEM armrest will really change the character of the interior for short money. Here, have some inspiration:

You have two S2000's? You should absolutely get the BRZ Limited, then! Not like you have to go completely without an S2000. I test drove a mint 2007 S2K before ultimately deciding on the BRZ; it was very fun to drive but not as livable as the BRZ. Also drove a 2011 Mazda MX-5 with the power-retracting hardtop, 2006 Lotus Elise, 2010 Nissan 370Z, 2007 Porsche Cayman, and 2013 WRX.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:48 AM   #48
claricae86

Drives: 2015 Blue FRS
Doesn't seem like a choice needs to be made. The s2000 isn't the best daily driver, regardless of what anyone tries to say. I traded in my AP1 for an 15' FRS a few weeks ago and it's night and day. One really is a weekend car and the other is a fun drivable daily. Winter's just plain suck in the s2k, if you've ever had your soft-top freeze over, you know what I'm talking about, not to mention the starter button issues in cold weather etc.. Summers aren't any better, the AC on the FRS/BRZ isn't the best but it's a hell of a lot better than any s2k I've ever been in. A hardtop helps but it's still a hot summer car when your sticking to that leather.

I am somewhat biased, as I am an old AE86 owner and have been a huge lover of that culture since I was in highschool, but there is a much more calming sense I get when pushing the frs/brz. Even as a seasoned driver, the s2k can still bite back pretty hard. The FRS/BRZ is more predictable and a little easier to drive fast, which is fun for a daily when you just want to swing into an empty parking lot and do a few figure eights.

Both great cars, but totally different beast in my eyes.
claricae86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:08 AM   #49
Darnold

Garage
Replying a bit out of line:

TRUECAR: I've actually found in most cases you can get 500+ under the truecar estimate. The 2014s came in at 26.2K and I negotiated down to 25.5K but at this point am stuck with silver and really want WRB > Dark Grey > White (PERSONAL OPINION DON'T SHOOT)

As for the two s2k comment yea I went a bit obnoxious for a while...

My AP2 I'm keeping is all high end JDM parts with some FI love and I'll keep working on it even with the BRZ.

Short list of only the major mods:
- Js racing FULL carbon hood (less than 5 stateside)
- Js racing front lip w/ dry carbon canards
- RSG +30MM wider carbon fenders (installing now)
- RSG double down roll bar
- Novi1000 supercharger with all supporting mods (clutch/ID1000/3"pulley/etc)
- KPRO (RSX-S ecu reflashed by hondata)
- Js Racing SPL header
- Js racing 70rr TITANIUM (9lbs from header back, sounds sexy too)
- ASM dry carbon trunk
- Buddy club racing spec coil overs (replacing with nitrons
- RPF1s 17x9 +45
- craftsquare mirrors
- Minor crap I don't remember throughout

Should hopefully be cutting into the quarter panels for ASM over fenders and adding a wing before next season.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #50
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Scotty built your car? Doesn't he have an FR-S now? Ask him what he thinks!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #51
Darnold

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Scotty built your car? Doesn't he have an FR-S now? Ask him what he thinks!
Another local @Turbowned ??? Scott is the only person I will allow to touch my car. Giles is actually tuning it now. Was actually rather dangerous letting Scott have almost no budget and just telling him here is what I want, do it how you would if it was for your own car.

Scott does have a FRS now, but he has a rocketbunny wide body. His opinion was "I need the motor out of my M3 in my FRS then it would be perfect" What can you expect out of the guy!
Old 08-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #52
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
@Dezoris might have some useful input to this topic as well.

Also another vote for Gary @ Manchester. I drove up from NY to get my BRZ from him 2 years ago. They were very well versed in out of state sales and made it a cinch for me (and another forum member who was from MD who happened to be picking up his car the same day as me).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:31 PM   #53
Darnold

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
@Dezoris might have some useful input to this topic as well.

Also another vote for Gary @ Manchester. I drove up from NY to get my BRZ from him 2 years ago. They were very well versed in out of state sales and made it a cinch for me (and another forum member who was from MD who happened to be picking up his car the same day as me).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Gary is awesome, great driver too!
Old 08-29-2014, 01:18 AM   #54
HercMax

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
I had my 2003 S2000 for 7 years before getting rid of it for back seats with an R32 (immensely competent but boring which made me buy a track prepped NA6 MX5 for sh!ts and giggles). Everything about the S2000 you've read in terms of rawness and directness is pretty much spot on compared to the BRZ but (and this is a big BUT) the steering feel on the BRZ is night and day better than the S2000. I can take the BRZ at 8 or 9/10ths with confidence whereas in the S I would be second guessing how much front end grip I had left, and when it does let go, it does with less warning especially at the back end (I had a big moment coming out of the S turn at Winton's back straight). Another factor is with the S2000, you sit a little further back closer to the back axle whereas the pivot point is closer to centre in the BRZ. I much prefer a more centred pivot point but that's a personal matter of what you prefer during rotation.

Gearbox and transmission the S wins but only marginally. I had the updated AP1 model which had a slightly heavier gear knob which made shifting less rifle bolt than the 2000 model I drove. I actually prefer a slightly notchier gearbox to feel the gears engaging mechanically. A heavy knob makes shifts smoother and easier but takes away some of the feel.

In terms of power the BRZ is actually better with more torque at anything below 6000rpm. If you're not in the mood to rev it out in the S2000 then the BRZ is more usable. I hardly went above 6000rpm on the street anyway. For those times where you are in the mood and it's a warm night, then nothing beats the fun you can have in the S and I still miss it. But for 95% of the other times I have more accessible fun in the BRZ. And I'm not putting on velcro sticky tyres on it this time like I did with the S.

Oh and back seats to fit baby seats wins every time for us dads.
HercMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:30 AM   #55
Darnold

Garage
@HerMax I love my AP1 and driving it is a joy but you've ultimately hit the nail on the head.

For a replacement car there is nothing that feels close to being as good as the BRZ for a driving experience. The rawness has been removed but that's ok and I understand the nuances of newer cars.

Looking and driving the two cars it's hard to judge the the potential but I actually think the BRZ can be superior with work.

At the end of the day why do car manufacturers design such sloppy gear boxes? Out of all the options today :/ So many amazing cars that just feel sloppy
Old 08-30-2014, 02:25 AM   #56
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
@HerMax I love my AP1 and driving it is a joy but you've ultimately hit the nail on the head.

For a replacement car there is nothing that feels close to being as good as the BRZ for a driving experience. The rawness has been removed but that's ok and I understand the nuances of newer cars.

Looking and driving the two cars it's hard to judge the the potential but I actually think the BRZ can be superior with work.

At the end of the day why do car manufacturers design such sloppy gear boxes? Out of all the options today :/ So many amazing cars that just feel sloppy
The 6 speed in the twins, Miata, and S2000 are all made by Aisin and all are directly related with only minor tweaks

Also surprised the CSG guys haven't been in this thread yet...
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poodles For This Useful Post:
Darnold (09-02-2014)