follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-13-2017, 06:47 PM   #1
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Pointers?

Could any of you more experienced guys give me some pointers here?
Edelbrock Supercharged, stock suspension, 235-40-18 RE-71R tires with +35 offset on 8"wheel. I'm not trying to win any classes but I want to get faster.[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVmkM1oKBAc"]SCCA 1st Run[/ame]
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:12 PM   #2
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
In autocross shortest distance almost always trumps carrying momentum, even in low powered cars, get tight on all the important cones (some cones aren't worth getting tight to, that comes with time).

If you've had a coach or someone you've connected with that you know is fast and experienced, have them drive your car, even for one run, it can be mind blowing realizing where you're giving up a ton of time. Also going for ride alongs can teach you this as well, but in my experience riding along in your own car after you think you've maxed it out is a valuable lesson. Maybe you're closer to the potential than I can tell from the video in which case only data logging will reveal the differences that are a few hundredths in every spot that add up to a second or more.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:06 PM   #3
B T

it seems each run I'd pick up about .5 second, but my buddy with suspension was almost a full second ahead on a 36 second course. I'll try your advice on doing some more ride alongs, usually there doesn't seem to be much of time to switch out in our small events.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #4
CatDaddysBBQ

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
With a course like that there's not a whole lot in it. It looked pretty good, TBH.

But if it's a second you're looking for, I'd say two things:

With sticky rubber, slaloms can upset the car and the body roll can't keep up with the direction changes - that was what made me finally ditch the stock suspension. If you were more planted you could carry more speed through there and possibly accelerate through more of it before you hold speed.

Also, the only real tricky turn (the u-turn) was pretty wide. I'd definitely brake a bit more and hug that tighter. Maybe not SUPER tight, but it looks like you blew through it a bit or just didn't try to tuck it in any tighter. Your car has better acceleration than most of us, so don't be afraid to shed a few more MPH to take a shorter path.

Between the u-turn and let's say 3-4mph more through the slalom and similar transition areas you could have a second, maybe more.
CatDaddysBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CatDaddysBBQ For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 01:25 PM   #5
TrqlessWonder

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
That vantage point isn't the best for analysis, though it does give the speed sensation better.

It looks like you're not particularly attacking the course. That is, you're driving the course, but it doesn't really look like you're choosing a line. Going through just about all of the gates, you look like you're driving right through the middle of the gate, instead of being clearly to one side or the other in an effort to link gates together.

But in general, just a little too conservative on line choice throughout. Did you hit any cones that weren't the result of a spin/obvious error?

If you don't have time to get an instructor run in, you probably still have 5 minutes to get out of your car and watch a big chunk of the course for a few runs with someone known to be quick. Judging their line is kind of difficult from afar, but some of the bigger things can still be gotten like "holy crap, he's not touching the brakes until......THERE?!?!" or "Fast guys are hitting THAT cone a lot, and I'm half a car width away, I should probably try to get the car over there." Not a cure-all, but that'll give you ideas in-event, as opposed to this fine Monday Morning Armchair stuff. Same goes for working course. Do your assignment, but that doesn't keep you from making mental notes.
#24 CS/CSR
TrqlessWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrqlessWonder For This Useful Post:
CatDaddysBBQ (07-19-2017), strat61caster (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 01:39 PM   #6
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Are the tires talking at all? I didn't hear anything till after the finish.

Really can't tell what the suspension is doing or how the car is working through the transitions, but it certainly feels like you could go faster everywhere (lack of any tire noise is bolstering this thought). Some of the transitions looked a bit sudden. Without being able to see your hands and know for sure, it also seems like you're in a "one thing at a time" mode, and are not anticipating - driving sections rather than finding a single fluid line through from one element to the next, and not connecting throttle application with unwinding the wheel (it seems you're on the gas only if your hands aren't moving).
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:05 PM   #7
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T View Post
it seems each run I'd pick up about .5 second, but my buddy with suspension was almost a full second ahead on a 36 second course. I'll try your advice on doing some more ride alongs, usually there doesn't seem to be much of time to switch out in our small events.
Ah yeah, there can be no opportunity in small events if you've only got a 1/2 run group. Most of the groups out here give you some free time to just spectate, even if it's after you've done your runs you can still learn things.

I think just about everyone has made the same comment, it seems like you could drive the car harder. Autox is great because the punishment for overdriving the car is a few scuff marks, go step over the line.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #8
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
First, the angle and lack of data overlay make it difficult to identify exactly whats going on. I prefer suction cupping my gopro to my rear windshield so I can see forward better and also get a better idea of what my hands are doing. The image in my sig shows you the angle I'm talking about. Also, make sure to set spot metering so you can see out of the car. Consider getting some data acquisition going too. A cheap bluetooth OBD dongle and TrackAddict or Harrys Lap Timer are great places to start. Get a good, solid phone mount. I spent $15 on a good one from Amazon and I'm completely happy with it.

Similarly mentioned by CatDaddysBBQ, in terms of upgrades, I think you are due for improved suspension. I see a lot of time wasted waiting for weight transfer to settle around corners and slaloms so consider investing in your suspension next. Something with 7k spring rates or higher for the tires you are running. If you want to get quick, I'd look at RCE T2s or if you want to prioritise street comfort, consider KWv3. Both will be a major improvement. Also consider getting slightly thicker adjustable sway bars as those also help speed up weight transfer but aren't really required, at least at first. That said, if you want to stick to the stock suspension, then getting thicker sway bars is highly recommended to help but I'd prioritise coilover suspension first.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
B T (07-18-2017), CatDaddysBBQ (07-19-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #9
TrqlessWonder

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
^^Good info, but that might be premature at this point. $250 and a hotel night for the next and nearest Evo phase 1 school is where his next few discretionary dollars are probably best spent if he's looking for big chunks of time on course.

eta: found those event results. Yep. Lots of time to be found before it's the car holding him back.
#24 CS/CSR

Last edited by TrqlessWonder; 07-17-2017 at 04:50 PM.
TrqlessWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:48 PM   #10
blkwrxwag

Drives: DS FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
1. Move the camera to the driver's side rear quarter window so we can see your hands.

2. Don't spend any money on the car to try and fix this.

3. Find the best driver in your region and have him/her drive your car while you ride along. I see you are in Mobile, Alabama. Go find Dennis Sparks and/or Jordan Towns... both great drivers.

4. Sign up for the next Evo school available to you.

5. Practice, practice, practice. You are generally under driving and not close to the key cones. This is not unusual, and can be fixed, but you probably need help showing you what this means. Also, go look at the Autocross video thread and looks at some of the videos of the more experienced drivers (Monkey and Oinjo are really good).
strat61caster (07-17-2017), TrqlessWonder (07-17-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 09:42 AM   #11
B T

There are several other videos on my youtube channel showing the camera angle Lynxis spoke of. I realize I should I have linked one of those videos instead. The Tarmac 2s are the next component I've been looking at getting and am glad to see a little consensus on that system. I'm not familiar with the EVO school, I'll be looking that up. Thanks guys.