follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-27-2019, 12:21 AM   #15
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by omadab View Post
Haha well done my friend. So basically, aslong as the engine hasn't blown yet, there shouldn't be any problems other than normal engine wear?
Well, there you have it in fewer words -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:26 AM   #16
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post

That was my conclusion:

"The engine would go boom and stop running."

humfrz
Old 01-27-2019, 01:15 AM   #17
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It would still run, but a 4 cylinder missing one cylinder is really really rough.

Unless the valve hits just right, breaks off, turns just right to bind the piston and bend a rod. Then it might stop running.

The likelyhood of a valve spring failing is very low, even on the effected engines. The likelyhood of multiple springs failing at the exact same time is basically zero.

Always a good idea to put the VIN in the NHTSA website and make sure there aren’t any outstanding recalls. If it’s at the dealer they will obviously have been taken care of.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 01:22 AM   #18
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
It would still run, but a 4 cylinder missing one cylinder is really really rough.

Unless the valve hits just right, breaks off, turns just right to bind the piston and bend a rod. Then it might stop running.

The likelyhood of a valve spring failing is very low, even on the effected engines. The likelyhood of multiple springs failing at the exact same time is basically zero.

Always a good idea to put the VIN in the NHTSA website and make sure there aren’t any outstanding recalls. If it’s at the dealer they will obviously have been taken care of.
It is an interference engine. "Run" may not be the right term for what it would do, if anything.
There are no recalls on 14s.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:38 AM   #19
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Pistons are considerably stronger than valves. When they hit the valve usually just tweaks and will no longer close fully. Worst case the head of the valve breaks off and bounces around in the chamber. Neither issue does anything to the other 3 cylinders.

The vast majority of the time it tweaks the valve just enough to create a decent misfire. Lots of pictures out there of bent valves on other Subaru engines, actual failure rate of the fa20 must be really low.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:57 AM   #20
humfrz

Quote:

Hmmm...… well, may I clarify. If you pull a COP off of a FA20 engine, you will have a "rough" running engine.

Since (like @Tcoat pointed out) this engine is an interference type engine, therefore, I would speculate that if a valve spring failed to pull a valve out of the way of a piston head that coming at it and the head of the valve and the head of the piston collide, I wouldn't call the result a "running engine". -

Not like dropping a valve on a 9:1 compression OHV big block V-8, where the combustion chamber might have the space just to play with the piece of broken off valve for a spell.

Is it my med time yet -

humfrz
Old 01-27-2019, 02:07 AM   #21
humfrz

Quote:
Pistons are considerably stronger than valves. When they hit the valve usually just tweaks and will no longer close fully. Worst case the head of the valve breaks off and bounces around in the chamber. Neither issue does anything to the other 3 cylinders.

The vast majority of the time it tweaks the valve just enough to create a decent misfire. Lots of pictures out there of bent valves on other Subaru engines, actual failure rate of the fa20 must be really low.
Interesting comments and speculation.

So, if a valve spring fails and the only negative result is a rough running engine, why in the hell are the manufacturers going to all this trouble and expense for this recall??

Why not just wait till some of the engines just quit running right, then fix just them?

humfrz
Old 01-27-2019, 02:47 AM   #22
Tcoat

Quote:

Worst case is a broken rod from the valve jamming the piston. Still not a "running" engine except in the very loose definition of the term.
humfrz (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 07:26 AM   #23
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Interesting comments and speculation.

So, if a valve spring fails and the only negative result is a rough running engine, why in the hell are the manufacturers going to all this trouble and expense for this recall??

Why not just wait till some of the engines just quit running right, then fix just them?

humfrz

I agree with you...a lot of work and the potential for causing an issue with an engine that is running fine(which some have reported back after having the recall done) to correct a very rare issue. To me, would have made more sense to just give owners an extended warrantee on their engines.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZnut For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 07:12 PM   #24
omadab

Drives: n/a
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I think it's more to keep a good name for themselves rather than saving money. Companies are always out for the short term profit but I find Japanese companies tend to look into the long term more.
omadab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to omadab For This Useful Post:
Somerandom18 (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 10:35 AM   #25
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by omadab View Post
oh okay. Good idea. What database are you referring to?

safecar.gov is the best place to look for open recalls on any vehicle you may be buying.

Also - the selling dealer in most states is required to insure all recalls are completed prior to selling the vehicle.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:15 AM   #26
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
I agree with you...a lot of work and the potential for causing an issue with an engine that is running fine(which some have reported back after having the recall done) to correct a very rare issue. To me, would have made more sense to just give owners an extended warrantee on their engines.
An extended warranty would not have eliminated the safety aspect of the potential stall. If it was just a matter of cost they would probably not have done a recall at all and if it broke out of warranty it would be the owner's problem. It was made a recall because of the safety issue if it stalled at speed.
The TOB is a good example of a known problem where they cover under warranty but it is your problem after the warranty is up. The same would have applied to the springs. They are not going to extend the warranty because they know something may break.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:07 PM   #27
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
An extended warranty would not have eliminated the safety aspect of the potential stall. If it was just a matter of cost they would probably not have done a recall at all and if it broke out of warranty it would be the owner's problem. It was made a recall because of the safety issue if it stalled at speed.
The TOB is a good example of a known problem where they cover under warranty but it is your problem after the warranty is up. The same would have applied to the springs. They are not going to extend the warranty because they know something may break.
That's a part that I have difficulty understanding (or being overly concerned about).

At lot of things can go wrong with a car to make it stall at speed.

As far as I'm concerned, so, what if it does, no power steering, no power brakes; just muscle the car off the road and press real hard on the brakes.

Which brings to mind a not-too-far-back-in-the-day story. Our daughter was 16 and she was getting all primped up for a date. She said her date was going to pick her up in his parents car at our house.

All of a sudden there was a BIG crash at our garage door (our driveway slopes steeply down to our garage). We ran outside and here this car had crashed through the door and part way into the garage.

Her date was totally embarrassed and ask to use our phone to call his mom. She came over and had a garage door repairman there within an hour.

The kid said that the car had stalled and it didn't have any steering or brakes.

I mumbled under my breath as I went back into the house "learn to drive the fucking car" and SMH.

That was their first and last date -

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 08:21 PM   #28
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
That's a part that I have difficulty understanding (or being overly concerned about).

At lot of things can go wrong with a car to make it stall at speed.

As far as I'm concerned, so, what if it does, no power steering, no power brakes; just muscle the car off the road and press real hard on the brakes.

Which brings to mind a not-too-far-back-in-the-day story. Our daughter was 16 and she was getting all primped up for a date. She said her date was going to pick her up in his parents car at our house.

All of a sudden there was a BIG crash at our garage door (our driveway slopes steeply down to our garage). We ran outside and here this car had crashed through the door and part way into the garage.

Her date was totally embarrassed and ask to use our phone to call his mom. She came over and had a garage door repairman there within an hour.

The kid said that the car had stalled and it didn't have any steering or brakes.

I mumbled under my breath as I went back into the house "learn to drive the fucking car" and SMH.

That was their first and last date -

humfrz
You, I and most of this forum would do fine with a stall. The other 99.99999999% of the driving population would probably die. Oh and take one of us with them.
humfrz (01-28-2019), x808drifter (01-28-2019)