follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 02-15-2019, 02:17 PM   #15
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I can't remember the exact wording off the top of my head but did they possible word it poorly and really meant "wait at LEAST 5 mins"?
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:19 PM   #16
keithr

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited (DGM)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
As humfrz already pointed out, check that you properly tighten the drain bolt (and preferably replaced the crush washer). This could leak oil fast. The other common leaks are insignificant other than the mess they make. If you are curious about the timing cover leak it's at the bottom front on the drivers side. Another common leak if you have a MT is on that triangle shaped plate on the back passenger side.
...and mine leaks from the passenger side of the timing cover, right onto the exhaust header. Can't drive more than 10 minutes without smelling burning oil now and longer drives result in a smoky show under the hood when I park. Ironically the two places most likely to leak aren't leaking on my car.

I'll be removing the JRSC next week and returning the engine to stock. Subaru told me the leak would be covered by the powertrain warranty, however they can't/won't touch it if it's modified and apparently the engine needs to come out. I'm not equipped to do that in my garage nor would I want to. So I will let Subaru do it.

JRSC comes off, leak/leaks get fixed, car then gets sold.
keithr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:09 AM   #17
Kayysonie
Badass Member

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Just put a big cardboard box underneath the whole motor.
Kayysonie is offline   Reply With Quote