follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-05-2019, 04:25 PM   #29
m.box.design

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Thanked 1,662 Times in 933 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
If I had a time machine, I would go back to when I was 18 and tell myself this:

Forget the turbo. Save your money. When you have $5,000 plus saved, you WILL want to do something else with it anyway.
I agree.

But perhaps some people NEED to make horrible financial decisions to learn from it. I would imagine an 18yr old working 40 hours a week probably doesn't need to boost (and possibly ruin the engine) of his daily driver that he uses to go to his job. Just assuming here though, maybe he works a really good job, makes bank, and has multiple cars.
m.box.design is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to m.box.design For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 05:00 PM   #30
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.box.design View Post
I agree.

But perhaps some people NEED to make horrible financial decisions to learn from it. I would imagine an 18yr old working 40 hours a week probably doesn't need to boost (and possibly ruin the engine) of his daily driver that he uses to go to his job. Just assuming here though, maybe he works a really good job, makes bank, and has multiple cars.
Hey, cut out the common sense.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:18 PM   #31
DearDiaryJackpot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
- Get the HKS, Greddy, or AVO turbo.
- Leave out everything else.
- Get it installed or install yourself at the stock boost level.
- Get the best tune in the world. Work with Delicious and CSG
- Start driving on the street first and keep an eye on the car. Get Torque Pro on your phone to see the data.

You will know if heat is a problem. Then, get oil cooler.
You will know when clutch starts to give up. Then, get the clutch upgrade.
You will know power is overwhelming the handling, get better tires and wheels.
You will know if you need better brakes. Then upgrade the pads first, then the rest if necessary.
You will know if you need better suspension. Then upgrade the suspension.
You will know if you want more power, rebuild the engine and do it.
I'm getting my parts for now, and Circuit Motorsports told me: Do the clutch first so the break in period is done smoothly, then when you get the turbo and tune dialed in, you can just go out an rip the tires.
and about $8k to answer OP question.
DearDiaryJackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:37 PM   #32
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.box.design View Post
I agree.

I'll play devil's advocate here and say that in a period where financial stability may be at its least critical for him, maybe it's a good time to get it out and just do it. I wish I had exploited my time living under my parent's roof better. Boost is harder to come by with a mortgage, wife, and cats. I'm saying this only for the point of being argumentative and supporting someone who wants to start his endeavor. My life in the car world started with a 3000GT VR4.

I learned a lot quicker than I would've otherwise, for better or worse. 2009 me-"HAY GUIZ i heard BIG B00M wat that, car go SLOWWWWW and dyes out???????????? n how do I get 500whp????????"

2009 forum- Search

2009 me- "local shop said my intercooler piping came off. Sorry for the dumb question"

2009 forum- Noob, GB2Newgrounds

DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #33
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloyota View Post
Forums are here to seek info, and even give out info. Seems like you’re not here for neither.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dang bro this thread turned to cancer on you, subie forums can be rough.
it costs abt 4k for the kit,
costs abt 1k for the install
costs about 1k for tune and ecutek license fees etc

you dont need to upgrade your flipping engine mounts, tires, suspension, and everything else under the sun mentioned in this thread to be running 260 whp, 190 ft/lb. mf's on this thread telling you to spend 15 grand building you car to run 260whp/190tq smh. you dont even need to do a clutch if ur just going to run 260/190.

mf's trying to preach life lessons like "teach a man to fish" on boosted induction threads smh

itll cost you about 6 grand all in dude.
thats exactly how much i did for my jrsc kit 15kmiles ago
you dont need to build your entire car around a 260/190 kit. when its time for brakes, get good brakes, when its time for tires, get good tires.

i have a 200whp s1000rr, so i dont beat on my brz, its not a fast car, treat it right and it will treat you right
HaXx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HaXx For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 11:47 AM   #34
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The aftermarket thrives on middle aged guys trying to make up for their conservative upbringing. If I was young and had the money, I'd spend it. Life is too short lol
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
HaXx (02-17-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 03:38 AM   #35
e30kawi

Drives: CWP limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I like stuff like this. I'd barely made $5,000 by the time I was 18. While I want to say don't do it and save for college/trade school/ down payment on a house, I agree with the view of, do it now before you have more responsibilities! I'll be 35 next month and have the funds but maybe lacking the follow through. Also, insurance is stupid expensive for me, can't imagine what it's like for an 18yo!

Another vote for doing it! Or don't, but at least you're young enough to say you didn't know better!
e30kawi is offline   Reply With Quote