follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #169
CoRi J
Xenogear

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Ultramarine
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
Hey everyone.

I'm the idiot that crashed the FR-S. Not really sure where to begin, so I'll start with how it happened.

I was on my way to lunch with a coworker. There's a right turn I've taken a million times over the past 4 years that's very wide and has huge visibility, and I would sometimes get on the gas a little in my B16-swapped CRX through the turn. I never went over the speed limit, and I only did it if there was absolutely no one else around. Being a FWD, the front tires would break free a little and it would make the turn a bit more fun. Well, before leaving work I decided it would be a good idea to turn off the traction control and try something similar in the FR-S. That was my first mistake. I entered the turn at about 20mph, and halfway through it I got on the gas and I honestly can't remember exactly what happened after that. I remember being extremely surprised and then all of a sudden I was careening for a telephone pole, and then bam. I don't even think I hit the brakes. I must've hit the clutch pedal at some point because the car was still running when I stopped. Both airbags deployed. My passenger said he didn't even touch the airbag, I grazed it a little bit and it felt like I got hit in the face with a soft pillow. I must've been going 15-20mph at the impact. I couldn't believe how much the car just crumpled. I just looked at it and sat on the ground. I can't even describe to you the feeling of seeing it like that. I just wanted to cry.

I'm 24 years old, been driving since 16, and this is my first accident/ticket. I was ticketed for "failure to maintain reasonable control", which honestly was extremely generous given the circumstances. I feel like the world's biggest idiot. I feel like I've shamed myself and done a huge disservice to the community. Sorry just doesn't say enough. I swore I wouldn't be one of those guys everyone was saying would do something stupid and wreck the car and drive up the insurance rates. Now I'm not only that guy, but it seems I'm the _first_ guy. Not exactly the best way to make an impression. I want you guys to know that I truly feel awful about the whole thing. I am truly sorry for letting my fellow FR-S owners down, and through making a complete ass out of myself, I feel I've learned a valuable lesson, albeit a hard one. I know some of you (a lot of you) will hate me, call me an idiot, tell me I shouldn't have even tried anything like that on a public road, etc. And I agree with you 100%. I made a stupid, stupid, irresponsible choice, and now I'm paying for it. I don't think any of you can hate me more than I hate myself.

I hope I can stand as an example of what can happen even at relatively low speeds when you're being stupid. Please for the love of god don't be me. Drive safe, keep traction control on on public roads, and don't try to be Ken Block. Unless you are Ken Block, in which case, keep being awesome.

I don't hate you at all after reading this. If anything I have more respect for you for coming forward about it. Honestly don't worry about what other people have to say because not many people can't say they haven't tried something reckless or done something they shouldn't have. We're human and not perfect.

Thank you for atleast responding which gives us assurance that you're ok. Of course, it's gonna shake you up for a bit. I know words of encouragement may not work but I want to let you know you've got another person that doesn't think you're an idiot, etc....it's the ones that do these things and still don't learn their lesson acting like badasses that are the idiots then end up getting themselves killed. Unfortunately, the lesson will cost you but I'm sure it's one to learn from.

Granted this car doesn't have serious HP on it, the RWD drivetrain is definitely another ballgame when it comes to driving.

I hope you recover soon from this and can get back out of the road. Keep your head up.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #170
DubGUy
Soon to be owner of BRZ

Drives: 2000 Ford Ranger Sport XLT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Dude its even reached on MotorAuthority!

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...fr-s?fbfanpage
Old 06-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #171
3141592ab

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
In all honesty, I won't even think of calling you names. As others have said, stuff happens. You aren't an idiot unless you do it a second time.

Not that I wish such a bad thing on you or anyone else, but I'm glad this happened to such a nice guy. Before you start hating, imagine if some a**h*** had done this. He (Lets face it, this would be a he) would rant to all of his online buddies about the horror of rear wheel drive. He would blame the car for the whole accident and try to turn this car into the next Corvair. He could end rear wheel drive for all of us. OK, maybe that is a little too much exaggeration but you get the idea.
Thanks for accepting all due responsibility for what has happened. Glad everyone is OK and hope you can get back on the road soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to 3141592ab For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #172
WolfsFang
Scrape Master

Drives: Goal: Oldest FRS State Side
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Can i have your ECU :o?
Old 06-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #173
TMayes86

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S MT
Garage
"I couldn't believe how much the car just crumpled."

A crumpled car is better than a crumpled face.
The Following User Says Thank You to TMayes86 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #174
Kearny Mesa Scion

Drives: It's Slow but it Handles.
based on what he says about the speed, he was entering the turn in 1st and gassed it, while in the turn he couldn't recover.... but even if gassed it at 20mph it wouldn't bring the rpms in the meat of the powerband to bring the back end around. whats weird it looks like he hit something head on offset because if the back end came around it would damaged the rear of the car. based on the pictures it looked like he understeered into a pole.

it looks fixable because the font frame looks intact. the only thing that will suck is the long waiting period to get parts.
San Diego's #1 Volume Dealer Since 2003
www.kmscion.com
Old 06-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #175
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Schnell View Post
I think you misunderstood my point. I am not saying you should ever turn it off on the street. I am saying even with it on you can still crash from being stupid and driving the car beyond safe limits.
Thanks, and I stand corrected!
Old 06-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #176
Gregory Gawaran

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ tS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I will and have had Traction Control off since I got the car. That being said, I don't think anyone should be called out for choosing to turn it off. There are ALOT of cars on the road that don't even have the option installed. My fiance and her 91 MR2 for example, it doesn't even have ABS.

Just need to be responsible with the power you have in your hands. In my opinion you can't learn your car without knowing how it reacts with the safety off.

That being said, I am glad you are alright. Its your car, do as you please. No one here has the right to judge you. Just learn from your mistakes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gregory Gawaran For This Useful Post:
YukiHachiRoku (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #177
sdiver68

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Crashing is learning, and since it seems no one was physically hurt you've come away with a cheap lesson despite the damage to the car. Learn from your mistakes but don't beat yourself up over it! FYI, IMHO your biggest mistake was turning the nannies all the way off being so new to RWD on a public street. But of course you've now heard this advice several times now

Signed,
The veteran of several crashes when I was younger who also happens to be an ex-semipro road racer where crashing every now and then is just a part of the deal.

Last edited by sdiver68; 06-16-2012 at 03:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sdiver68 For This Useful Post:
SVTSHC (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #178
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey everyone.

I'm the idiot that crashed the FR-S. Not really sure where to begin, so I'll start with how it happened.

I was on my way to lunch with a coworker. There's a right turn I've taken a million times over the past 4 years that's very wide and has huge visibility, and I would sometimes get on the gas a little in my B16-swapped CRX through the turn. I never went over the speed limit, and I only did it if there was absolutely no one else around. Being a FWD, the front tires would break free a little and it would make the turn a bit more fun. Well, before leaving work I decided it would be a good idea to turn off the traction control and try something similar in the FR-S. That was my first mistake. I entered the turn at about 20mph, and halfway through it I got on the gas and I honestly can't remember exactly what happened after that. I remember being extremely surprised and then all of a sudden I was careening for a telephone pole, and then bam. I don't even think I hit the brakes. I must've hit the clutch pedal at some point because the car was still running when I stopped. Both airbags deployed. My passenger said he didn't even touch the airbag, I grazed it a little bit and it felt like I got hit in the face with a soft pillow. I must've been going 15-20mph at the impact. I couldn't believe how much the car just crumpled. I just looked at it and sat on the ground. I can't even describe to you the feeling of seeing it like that. I just wanted to cry.

I'm 24 years old, been driving since 16, and this is my first accident/ticket. I was ticketed for "failure to maintain reasonable control", which honestly was extremely generous given the circumstances. I feel like the world's biggest idiot. I feel like I've shamed myself and done a huge disservice to the community. Sorry just doesn't say enough. I swore I wouldn't be one of those guys everyone was saying would do something stupid and wreck the car and drive up the insurance rates. Now I'm not only that guy, but it seems I'm the _first_ guy. Not exactly the best way to make an impression. I want you guys to know that I truly feel awful about the whole thing. I am truly sorry for letting my fellow FR-S owners down, and through making a complete ass out of myself, I feel I've learned a valuable lesson, albeit a hard one. I know some of you (a lot of you) will hate me, call me an idiot, tell me I shouldn't have even tried anything like that on a public road, etc. And I agree with you 100%. I made a stupid, stupid, irresponsible choice, and now I'm paying for it. I don't think any of you can hate me more than I hate myself.

I hope I can stand as an example of what can happen even at relatively low speeds when you're being stupid. Please for the love of god don't be me. Drive safe, keep traction control on on public roads, and don't try to be Ken Block. Unless you are Ken Block, in which case, keep being awesome.
I wonder when the NHTSA and IIHS are gonna test this car b/c that does not look like a 15-25mph collision. If it was, this is a pretty shitty built car as far as crashing is concerned.

I've been in 20 mph crash before and neither of the air bags deployed. Glad you're ok and only suffered from a bruised ego. Shit happens but if it's true with the speed vs impact, that's pretty sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix View Post
"Wanna see a dri... oh shit"

Since he had a B16 CRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
Crashing is learning, and since it seems no no one was physically hurt you've come away with a cheap lesson despite the damage to the car. Learn from your mistakes but don't beat yourself up over it! FYI, IMHO your biggest mistake was turning the nannies all the way off being so new to RWD on a public street. But of course you've now hear this advice several times now

Signed,
The veteran of several crashes when I was younger who also happens also to be an ex-semipro road racer where crashing every now and then is just a part of the deal.
Yep, throw it in the gutter and go buy another!
Old 06-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #179
Sleeperz
Banned

Drives: 1982 Toyota Corolla Coupe SR5
Maybe 200Hp aint so bad after all. Look at what trouble 400+ HP can get you into, all within 8 and 36 hours.

http://www.mustangheaven.com/2012/dr...ip/#more-11604

http://www.mustangheaven.com/2012/lo...e-kids-inside/
Old 06-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #180
YukiHachiRoku
Lex Luger

Drives: 2004 GS430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You're not the first, and you will not be the last. When I was 19 I wrecked a 1993 twin turbo RX-7 at 90 mph and almost died (thank God the car impacted from on the rear from a 720*spin and crumpled like an acrodrion)

Thanks for stepping up to the plate and admitting what you did, as I could remember I did the same thing on the FD boards, and everyone was really sad, and nobody bitched about insurance rates, or talked shit by putting up stupid pics meant to make you feel even worse. In fact, they even helped me part out the rest of the car since the engine bay was mostly in tact! (and many condolences) I was in bed for a good week after that crash and was so devastated and depressed for a long time after.

Just take things in stride, and day to day. Your health is most important since you can always replace metal, and your mental ego will be back after some self realization. Any crash you can walk away from is a good one.

Just wanted to say 'thanks', and this thread is going to make me think twice about daily driving without all those controls, because lately I have been turing them off and have been getting a little ballsy.
The Following User Says Thank You to YukiHachiRoku For This Useful Post:
SVTSHC (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #181
DubGUy
Soon to be owner of BRZ

Drives: 2000 Ford Ranger Sport XLT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory Gawaran View Post
I will and have had Traction Control off since I got the car. That being said, I don't think anyone should be called out for choosing to turn it off. There are ALOT of cars on the road that don't even have the option installed. My fiance and her 91 MR2 for example, it doesn't even have ABS.

Just need to be responsible with the power you have in your hands. In my opinion you can't learn your car without knowing how it reacts with the safety off.

That being said, I am glad you are alright. Its your car, do as you please. No one here has the right to judge you. Just learn from your mistakes.

Didn't the AE86 (Sprinter Trueno) have no ABS either? And its still a popular car. :happy0180:
Old 06-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #182
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey everyone.

These things happen man, and sometimes they're hard expensive lessons. The important thing is both you AND your passenger walked away relatively uninjured. Materials are replaceable, people aren't. Like yourself I was taught a similar lesson in my old maxima albeit used I had just gotten the car a few months back and it damn near broke my heart but in the end I was glad I was alive to hopefully never have to learn the same lesson again. I'm glad you've learned yours like many many other people both on and off this forum have in the past or will in the future (and I hope they have the same luck you did to walk away in decent or better shape).

As terrible as it's making you feel don't beat yourself up too bad for it; you'll be a better person for it at the end of the day. As a matter of fact, because you had the stones to get on here and admit to what you did I can guarentee that the overwhelming majority of people respect you rather than hate you. Much respect man and you have my condolences; best of luck with your future vehicles.

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
The Following User Says Thank You to SVTSHC For This Useful Post:
YukiHachiRoku (06-16-2012)

Closed Thread