follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-25-2018, 05:58 PM   #1
Face_Plant

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Auto Dimming Mirror Adapter Harness

Has anyone found a source for these? I bought an auto dimming mirror with compass online, but the adapter harness I received with it isn't correct. The wire coming from the mirror has 5 pins, but the connector hiding under the headliner has 3 pins, so I can't connect them together.
Face_Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:11 PM   #2
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Plant View Post
Has anyone found a source for these? I bought an auto dimming mirror with compass online, but the adapter harness I received with it isn't correct. The wire coming from the mirror has 5 pins, but the connector hiding under the headliner has 3 pins, so I can't connect them together.
Did you buy a Gentex mirror? Sounds like yours has a different pin configuration than the mirror I bought, but you may be able to use a similar solution to what I did. Quoting an older FB comment of mine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me on Facebook
All of our cars have an existing mirror harness in the headliner, tucked away behind the dome light. I wired it to that. The harness has three pins. Two are ground, one is switched power. The mirror has three leads. One switched, one constant, and one ground.

To make things easier, since I didn't need the Homelink function to work when the car is off, I wired both the constant and switched leads of the mirror to the switched power on that harness (white striped wire), and the ground to the middle pin. I made an intermediate harness using Subaru Part H501SAJ010, which is the OEM mirror harness. That way I didn't have to modify the harness in the headliner, or the harness for the mirror.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:54 PM   #3
Face_Plant

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Did you buy a Gentex mirror? Sounds like yours has a different pin configuration than the mirror I bought, but you may be able to use a similar solution to what I did. Quoting an older FB comment of mine:
I bought a good used OEM Subaru mirror from fleaBay (much cheaper than a new one). It's only auto dimming with a compass, no Homelink since I do not have a garage door opener. The harness that came with the mirror is 5 pins to 5 pins, but I need 5 pins to 3. I've seen them in photos, so I know they exist, but I can't seem to find the part number anywhere. Attached are a few pictures of the connector on the mirror and the harness I received.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:57 PM   #4
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
I bought a used OEM Subaru mirror from fleaBay (much cheaper than a new one). It's only auto dimming with a compass, no Homelink since I do not have a garage door opener Attached are a few pictures of the connector on the mirror and the harness I received.
Hmm. Well not sure how to solve that one. Did you check the part number I listed to see if maybe it would work? You can find photos of it on Google.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
Old 10-25-2018, 10:21 PM   #5
Face_Plant

Garage
Quote:
Hmm. Well not sure how to solve that one. Did you check the part number I listed to see if maybe it would work? You can find photos of it on Google.
The H501SAJ010 harness seems to be for mirrors with 12 pins. There appears to be another harness (part number H501SAG030), but it's for mirrors with 10 pins. The mirror I bought was from a Forester (part number H505SVA002). It was tough to tell from the photos if the harness was 5 pins to 5, or 5 pins to 3 like I needed, but it was a good price considering other mirrors were twice what I paid, so I took the risk. I figured the harness would be easy to find, but I guess not...
Old 10-25-2018, 11:49 PM   #6
HRTROB

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I have the same mirror. I didn't bother to look for the adapter since my car wasn't prewired. I just spliced on the included 5 pin to 5 pin "extension" cable to get power from the footwell fuse box using an add-a-circuit fuse splitter. There's another wire that you can tap to the reverse light to disable the dimming when in reverse, but I did not bother to hook that up
HRTROB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HRTROB For This Useful Post:
Face_Plant (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 12:37 AM   #7
Face_Plant

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTROB View Post
I have the same mirror. I didn't bother to look for the adapter since my car wasn't prewired. I just spliced on the included 5 pin to 5 pin "extension" cable to get power from the footwell fuse box using an add-a-circuit fuse splitter. There's another wire that you can tap to the reverse light to disable the dimming when in reverse, but I did not bother to hook that up
That's strange that your car wasn't wired for one. From what I've read the FR-S, BRZ, and 86 should all have the plug hiding under the headliner. Even my vanilla base model FR-S had it. Do you have a wiring diagram showing which wires you used for power, ground, etc?
Old 10-26-2018, 10:01 AM   #8
HRTROB

Quote:
That's strange that your car wasn't wired for one. From what I've read the FR-S, BRZ, and 86 should all have the plug hiding under the headliner. Even my vanilla base model FR-S had it. Do you have a wiring diagram showing which wires you used for power, ground, etc?
I'm from the Philippines and my car is a euro spec 86. I looked inside the headliner and there was no plug. I labeled the wires on the mirror but I won't be able to check that for you right now because I am currently out of the country and won't be back for another month. If you still haven't figured it out by then, shoot me a pm.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2018, 10:06 AM   #9
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTROB View Post
I'm from the Philippines and my car is a euro spec 86. I looked inside the headliner and there was no plug.
Are you SURE you looked far enough? Only asking because my harness was taped WAY back there in the headliner. They tape it against the wire for the dome light. It was towards the back, passenger side of the headliner, and I had to really reach in there with my hand to get to it. If someone else on the forum hadn't told me where it was, I probably wouldn't have seen it.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:15 PM   #10
HRTROB

Quote:
Are you SURE you looked far enough? Only asking because my harness was taped WAY back there in the headliner. They tape it against the wire for the dome light. It was towards the back, passenger side of the headliner, and I had to really reach in there with my hand to get to it. If someone else on the forum hadn't told me where it was, I probably wouldn't have seen it.
I think I did, I tried to reach back in there but couldn't find anything. Even took a photo thinking it might show the plug that I couldn't see. This photo is looking back towards the passenger side
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #11
reh8388

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S Release Series 2.0
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
The H501SAJ010 harness seems to be for mirrors with 12 pins. There appears to be another harness (part number H501SAG030), but it's for mirrors with 10 pins. The mirror I bought was from a Forester (part number H505SVA002). It was tough to tell from the photos if the harness was 5 pins to 5, or 5 pins to 3 like I needed, but it was a good price considering other mirrors were twice what I paid, so I took the risk. I figured the harness would be easy to find, but I guess not...
I did the same thing and could not for the life of me find the harness part number for the 5 pin to 3 pin harness. I went to the dealership and the parts guy was able to help me out. The harness part number is H501SVA002 and was $16 at my dealer.
reh8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:49 AM   #12
Trueweltall

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
FYI if anyone searches this looking for answers.

The mount you need is part #H501SSA041 to use auto-dim mirrors. BEWARE Fuyao aftermarket windshields will NOT have the correct mount to use this unless you dremel the nub out from the middle. PGW replacement windshield did not require this even though they both came from China.

2013-2018 models

H501SCA001(it's a GNTX-455) is the auto-dim mirror with compass that requires a 3 to 12 pin connector which is part #H501SSG010.

H501SCA100, and H501SCA101 homelink mirrors (GNTX-453) require a 3 to 10 pin connector part #H501SAG030

Stay away from any 313 models, the 453 is a step up.

H501SVA200 is the newest auto-dim with compass.
H501SVA301 is the newest auto-dim with compass and homelink v5.
Both of these kits will come with the wiring harness adapters you need to install in a 2013-2018

Last edited by Trueweltall; 06-13-2019 at 01:16 AM.
Trueweltall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:02 AM   #13
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
These two part numbers doesn't look to be frameless...
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gpvecchi For This Useful Post:
Trueweltall (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 01:16 AM   #14
Trueweltall

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Hmm, you know what you're right but compared to the other part numbers the frame is a lot thinner. I should have looked at pictures before posting that up. I incorrectly assumed all v5 mirrors were frameless. Also frameless model edges will not dim due to the bezel behind the glass (
is an example you can see what I mean).

ADVGENFL8EXP: Gentex Frameless Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
ADVGENFL80EXP: Gentex Frameless Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror With HomeLink
ADVGENFL85EXP: Gentex Frameless Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror With Compass and HomeLink
ADVGENADLN: Gentex Frameless Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror With HomeLink® and Long Neck Mount

These are the aftermarket frameless models, if you have a vehicle with black trim panels around the mirror base you will need the long neck mount.

Last edited by Trueweltall; 06-13-2019 at 01:33 AM.
Trueweltall is offline   Reply With Quote