follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 01-19-2017, 11:21 AM   #29
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Very nice car and unit. Which Joying model did you choose? 2GB with the Intel Sofia? Did the Joying harness work plug and play?
Thanks!

The model is CA-JY-UL124N2. It has Intel Sofia, and is the 2GB RAM model. Joying includes 2 harnesses with it, one for you to wire yourself and one to plug and ISO connector into. I also purchased the ISO connector for Toyota, but it's wired incorrectly (whether for all cars, or just the twins, I do not know) It would be easy enough for me to repin the ISO connector, as the Antenna connection from the HU harness needs to get connected, but since I already wired it up myself with a metra harness and everything works, I opted not to.

Since this HU isn't a plug and play model, you obviously need to do some of your own work to get everything up and running, but in the 3 or 4 days I've been playing with things and trying to get everything working, in actual time it's only been about 2 hours of work overall.

Everything works very well, but there is a slight learning curve from the OEM deck. The only thing I'm not thrilled about is that I miss the OEM decks physical buttons to change songs. As this is, I need to exit out of navigation to change the songs, but that's realistically the only time it's annoying.

Any other questions I'd be happy to answer.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:13 PM   #30
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Thanks!

The model is CA-JY-UL124N2. It has Intel Sofia, and is the 2GB RAM model. Joying includes 2 harnesses with it, one for you to wire yourself and one to plug and ISO connector into. I also purchased the ISO connector for Toyota, but it's wired incorrectly (whether for all cars, or just the twins, I do not know) It would be easy enough for me to repin the ISO connector, as the Antenna connection from the HU harness needs to get connected, but since I already wired it up myself with a metra harness and everything works, I opted not to.

Since this HU isn't a plug and play model, you obviously need to do some of your own work to get everything up and running, but in the 3 or 4 days I've been playing with things and trying to get everything working, in actual time it's only been about 2 hours of work overall.

Everything works very well, but there is a slight learning curve from the OEM deck. The only thing I'm not thrilled about is that I miss the OEM decks physical buttons to change songs. As this is, I need to exit out of navigation to change the songs, but that's realistically the only time it's annoying.

Any other questions I'd be happy to answer.

Any ideas how you are going to deal with the dash trim? This is something I have considered but have not figured out how to fill in the dash.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:57 PM   #31
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Any ideas how you are going to deal with the dash trim? This is something I have considered but have not figured out how to fill in the dash.
I was actually just fiddling with it.

So, for the top and bottom of it, it looks like I need to file some parts of it down. I have it at 3/4 clips snapping in now, so that's good. I also have some pieces to fill in the side gaps from the dash kit, but need to mock them up and see what their coverage will be like.

Progress is slow, mostly because it's a bit frustrating because of the amounts of things I've overlooked in the install. (Well, really, the amount of things I got lazy with/ didn't research enough)

I'm going to call up some Toyota and Subaru dealers and see if they'd be willing to give me measurements on the openings for the '17 dash trims. I'd like to get the 86 dash trim anyhow, and if it'll be a perfect fit, even better.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 01:59 PM   #32
Tcoat

Quote:
I was actually just fiddling with it.

So, for the top and bottom of it, it looks like I need to file some parts of it down. I have it at 3/4 clips snapping in now, so that's good. I also have some pieces to fill in the side gaps from the dash kit, but need to mock them up and see what their coverage will be like.

Progress is slow, mostly because it's a bit frustrating because of the amounts of things I've overlooked in the install. (Well, really, the amount of things I got lazy with/ didn't research enough)

I'm going to call up some Toyota and Subaru dealers and see if they'd be willing to give me measurements on the openings for the '17 dash trims. I'd like to get the 86 dash trim anyhow, and if it'll be a perfect fit, even better.
How much is it off with the 13 trim? Presume it would stick out way to far if you just mounted it on top?
Old 01-19-2017, 02:06 PM   #33
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
How much is it off with the 13 trim? Presume it would stick out way to far if you just mounted it on top?

It looks like this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2017, 02:09 PM   #34
Tcoat

Quote:
It looks like this...

Oh I could work with that. Some nice shiny black inserts on either side and good to go.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:10 PM   #35
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Oh I could work with that. Some nice shiny black inserts on either side and good to go.

Just got out the measuring tape. The deck at its largest point, is 1/16" taller than the opening of the dash trim.

Ah well. I'll make it work.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #36
Tcoat

Quote:
Just got out the measuring tape. The deck at its largest point, is 1/16" taller than the opening of the dash trim.

Ah well. I'll make it work.

Dremel to the rescue!
Old 01-19-2017, 03:07 PM   #37
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Dremel to the rescue!
Going to see if pops has an orbital sander kicking around. That'll give me something to do at the cottage this weekend
Tcoat (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 05:20 PM   #38
Vin

Drives: 2012 GT86 EU-spec
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You can find the side pieces in pretty much every audio shop. They look like this :

Enjoy the radio. I'm planning to buy one soon too. Just stupid that they made it slightly higher than stock double din size..
Old 02-07-2017, 03:46 PM   #39
Cole
Not a troll

Haven't done anything to the car lately, but I hung out with @D_Thissen for a few hours this past week and he took some pictures of my car. They turned out pretty ok, and are far better than anything I've taken. I'll have to see him again once his car is out of hibernation and mine has summer wheels on.

D_Thissen (02-08-2017)