follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2017, 06:07 PM   #1
EXCellR8
FR-S Driver (MT)

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Shifter Slow Return 6MT

I still have my '13 FRS but I noticed that, just starting this week, the shifter feels odd. It feels stiff like it would if it was close to zero degrees outside but it's been in the 70s and 80s. I can upload a video but if I push the shifter all the way to the right it doesn't spring right back like it used to--but it sort of hangs out for a sec and then clumsily returns.

The car sat for around a week, but not in direct sunlight, but I've never had this issue before; I can't think of what happened. The car only has 14k on it and I baby it so it's certainly not from abuse. I gotta get it inspected on Friday though, so I can inquire to the shop about it but considering it still works fine I'm sure they'll give me the "seems fine" treatment.

Any ideas? I mean it's not terrible and it's 100% driveable, but definitely not as springy as it was a few weeks ago. Haven't noticed any other issues.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:36 PM   #2
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Try taking it for a looong drive.
Mine has only done 18500kms after 4yrs.
Usually i only drive mine on sunday and it needs to be driven more.
Recently i took it on a 1000km country drive and everything loosened up.
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alan.chalkley For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 10:39 PM   #3
EXCellR8
FR-S Driver (MT)

Garage
damn, now that I think about it I'm probably never in the car more than an hour at a time. I took it onto the freeway earlier today to get the motor wound up a bit and everything seemed fine. the strange thing is the car sits garaged through the entire winter only being started every couple of weeks; I didn't notice any odd shifter stick then but it would have been cold as hell anyway.

there was a brief period of time, a couple of years ago now, where the FRS was my daily and my only vehicle. even then I didn't really rack up the miles. I could probably come up with some kind of figure, but I probably only put on maybe a couple hundred miles per month, excluding late Dec into January thru to late March.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:58 PM   #4
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I haven't noticed it for a long time but something about the 5-6 parts would stick slightly off kilter and the gear selector would hang up a little flopping into the 3-4 slot.

I just shift 5-6 on a roll and it clears.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:20 AM   #5
15limited

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXCellR8 View Post
damn, now that I think about it I'm probably never in the car more than an hour at a time. I took it onto the freeway earlier today to get the motor wound up a bit and everything seemed fine. the strange thing is the car sits garaged through the entire winter only being started every couple of weeks; I didn't notice any odd shifter stick then but it would have been cold as hell anyway.

there was a brief period of time, a couple of years ago now, where the FRS was my daily and my only vehicle. even then I didn't really rack up the miles. I could probably come up with some kind of figure, but I probably only put on maybe a couple hundred miles per month, excluding late Dec into January thru to late March.
MTec shift springs could help.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk
Perrin Transmission Bolt, Drift Button,Intake Tube, Radiator Hoses, Engine Mounts, Gurney Flap Diode Dynamics Always On Module OLM 3k HID Foglights GCS Smoked Side Markers Motul Gear 300/300 V OE Acantara arm rest Password JDM Dry Carbon rear diffuser Rally Armour Mud flaps H.I.C side & rear visor Gruppe-S UEL header/OP HKS Front Pipe Leg Sport Cat Back Koyorad aluminum radiator Wheelhaus CF low pro 3rd brake light Toms JDM Clear Tail Lamps
15limited is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 15limited For This Useful Post:
Drakiv (05-30-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 12:58 PM   #6
EXCellR8
FR-S Driver (MT)

Garage
little bit of time has passed and I've been driving the car as much as possible... shifter hasn't really improved all that much but I'm kind of used to it now.

i was looking at the MTec springs around when I posted this thread since it's such a cheap mod but I didn't like the idea of prying apart my shift boot and center console etc. i'm sure it's not a big deal but everything's in pristine condition so I'm a wicked puss about it.

I'll just deal for now and maybe the local transmission clinic has some input on why it's not as springy as it used to be. if i decide to replace the springs i might as well add a SS too i suppose... though i'm a taller fella

Tags
frs, scion, shift, spring, stiff