follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-08-2015, 12:59 AM   #141
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
50% boost at zero throttle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Need to look at the spread sheet for the Procede map. I'm not near a computer can you take a screen shot?
@KoolBRZ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here it is. Look at the tiny ramp running down from the left-hand corner of 0 at 0.
Attached Images

KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:40 AM   #142
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
Here it is. Look at the tiny ramp running down from the left-hand corner of 0 at 0.

If I remember correctly that is so you can test the esc without the engine being on.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:47 AM   #143
KoolBRZ

Garage
That explanation has no flair, no excitement. How about "That's for quicker starts in cold weather. The heat of compression makes the car start faster. This car's so quick, it even has a supercharged startup routine." That sounds a lot better.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:10 AM   #144
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
That explanation has no flair, no excitement. How about "That's for quicker starts in cold weather. The heat of compression makes the car start faster. This car's so quick, it even has a supercharged startup routine." That sounds a lot better.

That's my teacher side coming out. I take extremely complicated things and I have to make it as simple as possible for people to understand.

Also I was on a date with the wife and I didn't want to get in trouble.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
LucidMomentum (08-08-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 02:22 AM   #145
Khyron686

Drives: 2011 Outlander XLS, 2013 FR-S Blue
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Alright, I have an issue, and it may be pretty deadly if true.

My wheel shop installed longer studs. Immediately after, I got cel/abs/trac and limp mode. Cleared, came back - they figure they screwed a speed or abs sensor.

Off to the dealer, so removed the phantom, and put the stock intake back. Left the batteries, chargers (unplugged) and the procede controller (with no phantom to spool)

Not trying to hide it, just avoid hassles and some excessive joy rides (I have cameras). Tire shop was going to pay for the sensor repair/replacement.

Anyway, they screwed around with it and somehow cut the ground to the Procede controller. All of a sudden the car was throttle on, throttle off, on, off - sitting in the bay. I have it on video.

On what planet would you have a controller that can actually actively engage the throttle? That would be so dangerous and wreckless I cannot believe it's possible. Or even to block the throttle signal. I know it has taps to MONITOR the throttle position, etc - but how on earth can it send throttle signals to the CAR? The thing should DO NOTHING if there's no phantom in the car.

Now maybe the techs are lying, but to what end? There were 3 of them, and they said that after the redid the ground wire/connect for the Procede the crazy throttle on-off stopped immediately. And I also haven't been able to get the check engine/speed sensor code to come back either....

It's supposed to be nothing more than a fancy engage switch for the Phantom. Nothing else. Right?
Khyron686 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Khyron686 For This Useful Post:
keen as (08-14-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 04:33 AM   #146
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyron686 View Post
Alright, I have an issue, and it may be pretty deadly if true.

My wheel shop installed longer studs. Immediately after, I got cel/abs/trac and limp mode. Cleared, came back - they figure they screwed a speed or abs sensor.

Off to the dealer, so removed the phantom, and put the stock intake back. Left the batteries, chargers (unplugged) and the procede controller (with no phantom to spool)

Not trying to hide it, just avoid hassles and some excessive joy rides (I have cameras). Tire shop was going to pay for the sensor repair/replacement.

Anyway, they screwed around with it and somehow cut the ground to the Procede controller. All of a sudden the car was throttle on, throttle off, on, off - sitting in the bay. I have it on video.

On what planet would you have a controller that can actually actively engage the throttle? That would be so dangerous and wreckless I cannot believe it's possible. Or even to block the throttle signal. I know it has taps to MONITOR the throttle position, etc - but how on earth can it send throttle signals to the CAR? The thing should DO NOTHING if there's no phantom in the car.

Now maybe the techs are lying, but to what end? There were 3 of them, and they said that after the redid the ground wire/connect for the Procede the crazy throttle on-off stopped immediately. And I also haven't been able to get the check engine/speed sensor code to come back either....

It's supposed to be nothing more than a fancy engage switch for the Phantom. Nothing else. Right?
Can you clear something up real quick, cause by reading above I'm kind of confused. You said you have it on video, and then later you said "maybe the techs are lying". Wouldn't the techs story be easy to confirm with the video?
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:02 AM   #147
Khyron686

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Can you clear something up real quick, cause by reading above I'm kind of confused. You said you have it on video, and then later you said "maybe the techs are lying". Wouldn't the techs story be easy to confirm with the video?
In-car dash cam. I have snippets throughout the day but not a full all-day recording. I just mean it wasn't like they backed it off the lift and were just making crap up to cover up.

I have a clip where you can see the car reving up and down and you can hear them saying "wtf is going on" and "We need to re-hook up that box". But there's a 2 hr gap where they opened the dash that I have nothing - I don't know for sure which wire they cut, only that they were stuck because the car was not running properly at all (and it was when I dropped it off)

I have one part where the senior tech explains that it intercepts the throttle signal and uses that to control the "POS electric supercharger" and "should tell the owner to come get it with a tow truck".

The point I really can't understand is the code really hasn't come back since they re-did the ground. I'm still leaving it stock program, no ESC. Next step is I'M going to remove the ground and see what happens.

But I really really want reassurance that some aftermarket boost controller can't actively block or activate the throttle while I'm driving up to a crosswalk with kids in it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Khyron686 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-14-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 11:49 AM   #148
KoolBRZ

Garage
The Procede controller started as a signal intercepter tuning box, (ala Unichip?) and had no ground, so the power was flowing backwards through the circuitry to the throttle connection. It shouldn't be too hard to add one-way diodes to the throttle and RPM taps. The only question is, would it still work with the diodes installed? @Shiv@Openflash could diodes be used here without impeding the function of the taps?
Old 08-14-2015, 12:06 PM   #149
LucidMomentum
No Money, No Problems

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S (Halo White)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyron686 View Post
In-car dash cam. I have snippets throughout the day but not a full all-day recording. I just mean it wasn't like they backed it off the lift and were just making crap up to cover up.

I have a clip where you can see the car reving up and down and you can hear them saying "wtf is going on" and "We need to re-hook up that box". But there's a 2 hr gap where they opened the dash that I have nothing - I don't know for sure which wire they cut, only that they were stuck because the car was not running properly at all (and it was when I dropped it off)

I have one part where the senior tech explains that it intercepts the throttle signal and uses that to control the "POS electric supercharger" and "should tell the owner to come get it with a tow truck".

The point I really can't understand is the code really hasn't come back since they re-did the ground. I'm still leaving it stock program, no ESC. Next step is I'M going to remove the ground and see what happens.

But I really really want reassurance that some aftermarket boost controller can't actively block or activate the throttle while I'm driving up to a crosswalk with kids in it.
Well it wouldn't be the first time techs lied about something they don't know about...

However, the Procede doesn't intercept any signal, rather it reads the signal at the same time the ECU reads it. It does read throttle position, so it might be plausible that if it was wired improperly and lacking a ground, you could get signal noise and feedback that may cause the issue.

But that's like telling people not grounding a live wire can cause issues. It's kind of a given.

TL : DR; It could be possible given that we tap into the ECU to get signal readings, but of course anything's possible if you cut wires and aren't paying attention.

Quote:
The Procede controller started as a signal intercepter tuning box, (ala Unichip?) and had no ground, so the power was flowing backwards through the circuitry to the throttle connection. It shouldn't be too hard to add one-way diodes to the throttle and RPM taps. The only question is, would it still work with the diodes installed? @Shiv@Openflash could diodes be used here without impeding the function of the taps?
Yeah what he said.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:16 PM   #150
KoolBRZ

Garage
I think the real unsaid questions in everyone's mind is "Can the Procede controller take this kind of abuse, and still work right when it's connected back up properly? Or did this stupid tech break the controller as well?"
Old 08-14-2015, 12:50 PM   #151
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I think the real unsaid questions in everyone's mind is "Can the Procede controller take this kind of abuse, and still work right when it's connected back up properly? Or did this stupid tech break the controller as well?"
Additionally, I would want to know why his mechanics were working on anything electrical in the car without first disconnecting the battery. That seems kind of rank amateur.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:12 PM   #152
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

I'm trying to figure out how they screwed a sensor while installing studs...

Installed Mods:
Old 08-14-2015, 01:46 PM   #153
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

PROcede ESC User Software!

Is it possible they cut the wire and then the wire was grounding out?
@Khyron686

Installed Mods:
Old 08-14-2015, 01:52 PM   #154
Khyron686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
I'm trying to figure out how they screwed a sensor while installing studs...

Actually THAT is apparently somewhat more common - you have to drop the entire hub to get them in on the rear. Let them drop or hang and can wreck the wire. Fronts - I think they took the hub off as well to use a press and the wire for the sensor is very very short.

Battery may have been disconnected (hence no video).

But again, I'm all for aftermarket toys and gizmos but nothing should be able to either kill or send throttle signals. Or the brakes either.