follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 06-11-2018, 10:54 PM   #1
spitsnaugle

Drives: LS Swapped Scion FRS = 440HP
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
CX Racing LS/FRS Headers don't fit stock LS

It might not be a surprise to some, but the fitment of CX racing LS headers is definitely not where it needs to be. I had owned CX headers on an older swap and they were ok. These, not so much.

They definitely seem nice, from a photo.

Driver side:
Headers wont bolt up- welded on support is resting on spark plug:

Passenger side:
Gap too small to actually route spark plug wire.

I've reached out to CX racing via their ebay posting I bought these from. Hope to get these modified or new ones shipped out asap.

Otherwise, these look nice:
spitsnaugle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spitsnaugle For This Useful Post:
Merc (07-16-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 11:39 PM   #2
ILLSMOQ

Drives: 2017 WR BLUE BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
So need to do some grinding? To clearance for the spark plug? Also need to run long wires instead of the short ones right?
ILLSMOQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:32 AM   #3
spitsnaugle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSMOQ View Post
So need to do some grinding? To clearance for the spark plug? Also need to run long wires instead of the short ones right?
Need to cut out that support completely, after that I might be able to bend it and relocate it to just below the exhaust port. Just bad planning/design/jig work. Shoulnt need to do anything.

I have three set of plug wires in my garage at the moment, ls2, truck wires, and MSD wires, the MSD multi-angles are the closest to working, but the diameter of the boot is just squeezed in there too tight.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:03 AM   #4
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,412 Times in 804 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
You have to run the super long plug wires that get routed behind the pipes. Which I think are DIY plug wire kits from MSD
Old 06-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #5
Pure Automotive

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Thanked 1,952 Times in 650 Posts
Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
We just cut them off and make new ones, way easier than trying to get them to do anything about it. Once you cut them off all the hard parts fit. You will also want to get these wires and make custom ones to fit the best:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-32079
Pure Automotive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pure Automotive For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (06-12-2018), M1K3 (06-12-2018), spitsnaugle (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #6
spitsnaugle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Automotive View Post
We just cut them off and make new ones, way easier than trying to get them to do anything about it. Once you cut them off all the hard parts fit. You will also want to get these wires and make custom ones to fit the best:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-32079
Thanks for chiming in on the plugs, I'm probably going that route.

CX racing replied they wanted photos and photos of the packaging it arrived in (luckily I took photos of the boxes before I opened them). I'd ideally like to fix these myself rather than wait, and see if they'd refund a small amount for the hassle at least. Is that support necessary? My two sets of long tubes I had for my 240z didnt have anything like that.

Also, would you be Brady? I think I sent you some more follow questions via email this weekend.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #7
Pure Automotive

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Thanked 1,952 Times in 650 Posts
Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitsnaugle View Post
Thanks for chiming in on the plugs, I'm probably going that route.

CX racing replied they wanted photos and photos of the packaging it arrived in (luckily I took photos of the boxes before I opened them). I'd ideally like to fix these myself rather than wait, and see if they'd refund a small amount for the hassle at least. Is that support necessary? My two sets of long tubes I had for my 240z didnt have anything like that.

Also, would you be Brady? I think I sent you some more follow questions via email this weekend.
Yea, resend them in case somehow I missed them
Pure Automotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:16 AM   #8
spitsnaugle

Update. After four days of back and forth messages, CX racing has offered a WHOPPING $20 refund.
Their site just had a 10% off sale, which would of been $78 off these... they can do better than $20. I'm pushing they send me a fixed set.

Comparably, when I had an issue with a part from MAPerformance, they had shipped me a new part that day, arrived next day.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:57 AM   #9
spitsnaugle

I gave up dealing with their terrible service, they gave me $40 off.
I grabbed my cut off wheel and took that bar off.

Did a test run on the engine... quick 17 second video:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFQ_eb59DN8[/ame]
Old 06-29-2018, 01:20 AM   #10
Merc

Drives: Subaru brz 2013 LS1 swap
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thank you for posting this. I was just looking into getting these headers. I have the engine and transmission mounts from the same company, and my experience was pretty much the same. Had to do some cutting and modification to make them work. You seem to have been luckier though as i have never received a response back. Love the test rack by the way.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:28 PM   #11
spitsnaugle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
Thank you for posting this. I was just looking into getting these headers. I have the engine and transmission mounts from the same company, and my experience was pretty much the same. Had to do some cutting and modification to make them work. You seem to have been luckier though as i have never received a response back. Love the test rack by the way.
I'm about to send the shorty sections out to get ceramic coated to reduce some engine bay heat, was there any more modifications that that you needed to do? I've only tested these on the engine, not in the car yet.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:51 PM   #12
Merc

Drives: Subaru brz 2013 LS1 swap
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Haven't got the headers yet. On the motor mounts had to cut off about a 1/4 inch or so on the drivers side mount (first hole towards the front, bottom row) to make room for the stock alternator location on a gto ls1. Have to modify the transmission mount because the bottom plate slits are not the same as pictured and don't line up. Did you get the y pipe as well from them?
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:43 PM   #13
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
FYI, for anyone new finding this thread. The CX headers won't fit with the stock LS1 AC compressor low mounted(at least with Corvette spacing). I have a 2000 Corvette LS1 engine and the headers definitely interfere with the low mount compressor. Maybe the F body spacing or high mount would work. Also, a different compressor like a mini Sanden or a swapped LS3 might fit but I haven't tested
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:43 PM   #14
vijay.dy06

Drives: Red BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
FYI, for anyone new finding this thread. The CX headers won't fit with the stock LS1 AC compressor low mounted(at least with Corvette spacing). I have a 2000 Corvette LS1 engine and the headers definitely interfere with the low mount compressor. Maybe the F body spacing or high mount would work. Also, a different compressor like a mini Sanden or a swapped LS3 might fit but I haven't tested
I mocked up my Fbody ac compressor, Fbody accessories, and it fits with clearance with the CX header. I used the stock compressor fitting though. I'm not sure if aftermarket fittings will clear, but I think it will. Have no use for it yet but will eventually tackle that project.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
vijay.dy06 is offline   Reply With Quote