follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 11-13-2015, 11:18 PM   #9661
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain View Post
@Shiv@Openflash, any update on my PM that purchasing Procede?
Sorry, would you mind email sales@openflashperformance.com instead?
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:22 PM   #9662
stevo585

Drives: White 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash View Post
Hi guys,
Just thought some might be interested.... We are finalizing the ESC kit for the new 2016 Mazda MX5. Info and pics here:

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=593688
andu
https://www.facebook.com/OpenFlash-P...3431676670350/

Noooo! You have plenty of people here itching to purchase the kit!
stevo585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:11 AM   #9663
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Kit should be expanded with electric generator turbo spooled up by exhaust. This way one should never worry about battery draining or extra power usage to generate electricity via normal generator. And if one goes on high-rpms/high-load for long periods of time, it will at same time also generate more power in turbo, to compensate more power usage by electric SC.
Yes, simple mechanical directly linked turbo on exhaust-intake probably will have less mechanical energy losses, but electric one due no direct link will keep all pros of ESC like fine tunable to any rpms/loads, full forced induction in low rpms too, no need for blow off valves and alike things to workaround classic turbo cons. Imho that (ESC+Eturbo generator) should be future of motoring.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:08 PM   #9664
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Kit should be expanded with electric generator turbo spooled up by exhaust. This way one should never worry about battery draining or extra power usage to generate electricity via normal generator. And if one goes on high-rpms/high-load for long periods of time, it will at same time also generate more power in turbo, to compensate more power usage by electric SC.
Yes, simple mechanical directly linked turbo on exhaust-intake probably will have less mechanical energy losses, but electric one due no direct link will keep all pros of ESC like fine tunable to any rpms/loads, full forced induction in low rpms too, no need for blow off valves and alike things to workaround classic turbo cons. Imho that (ESC+Eturbo generator) should be future of motoring.

Cool. Make it and post your progress. Can't wait.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (11-15-2015)
Old 11-15-2015, 04:40 PM   #9665
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
There's already an alternator providing enough power to recharge. The problem is the batteries can't be recharged quickly. It's a speed problem rather than an amperage problem. You want quick recharge and quick drain, you need to convert it all to capacitors. A turbine-spun generator would also produce way more than 12 volts, which the batteries couldn't handle quickly. A capacitor bank could handle high voltage/high amperage charges and loads.
How about this; twin turbo's at the tailpipes, feeding into a Phantom ESC in front of the radiator, which in turn feeds into a front-mounted intercooler, and then past the MAF and into the engine. A high-pressure cutout switch before the ESC turns it off when it's not needed.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:32 AM   #9666
keen as

Drives: 86 GT MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravisraval View Post
Cool. That's really my question here: can you make this track ready.

I have not taken it to the track.
I have noticed that I get this fail safe after 5 or 6 pulls, totalling around 45secs of full throttle.

From the Phantom supercharger website install guide:
--------------24.X – 28.X volts. Throttle switch activated but no boost. Thermal motor control protection. * Resets in 2-10 seconds *let unit recharge and cool.-------------

Anyone else get this so easily? Has anyone put cooling on the electric motor?

I assume I have no problems with the batteries because I don't get any other problems listed in the install guide.
keen as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:52 AM   #9667
gtfapollo

Drives: Velocity Orange
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
gtfapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gtfapollo For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (11-16-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 02:17 PM   #9668
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen as View Post
I have not taken it to the track.
I have noticed that I get this fail safe after 5 or 6 pulls, totalling around 45secs of full throttle.

From the Phantom supercharger website install guide:
--------------24.X – 28.X volts. Throttle switch activated but no boost. Thermal motor control protection. * Resets in 2-10 seconds *let unit recharge and cool.-------------

Anyone else get this so easily? Has anyone put cooling on the electric motor?

I assume I have no problems with the batteries because I don't get any other problems listed in the install guide.
Does your controller have the fan on it? Not all controllers came with the same cooling setup. I would recommend first checking your cables to the motor. A cable could be loose and arcing, causing the controller to work that much harder, and overheat. Second, does your header create a lot of heat near the motor?
Old 11-16-2015, 02:45 PM   #9669
PantsDants

Drives: Scion FR-S A/T, Whiteout
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
The fan on my aux charger has started making a pretty loud humming sound when the car is first turned on when cold. Goes away after it warms up a bit. I've checked to make sure nothing is resting on it that could cause that sound. Is there an easy way to replace that fan or should I just try tightening it down?
PantsDants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:59 PM   #9670
keen as

Drives: 86 GT MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
Does your controller have the fan on it? Not all controllers came with the same cooling setup. I would recommend first checking your cables to the motor. A cable could be loose and arcing, causing the controller to work that much harder, and overheat. Second, does your header create a lot of heat near the motor?

My controller was updated to latest cooling specs and has a fan. According to the install guide, the controller is not triggering the failsafe
http://www.phantomsuperchargers.com/.../frs-brz4a.pdf

Fail safes

-26.X volts peak.Thermal battery de-rate. Boost can be used but is slightly reduced.

* Resets 5-20min depending on engine bay temps.

-24.X –28.Xvolts. Throttle switch activated but no boost. Thermal motor control protection.

* Resets in 2-10 seconds *let unit recharge and cool.

-17.0 volts, no boost, low voltage cut-off. Tripped if batteries are poor quality.

-Triggering fail safes is normal, position box away from direct heat and expose all surfaces to air.

-Intermittent use times: Duty cycle, up to 20%. Continuous, up to 60 secs. (30 seconds recommended).
keen as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:26 PM   #9671
Khyron686

Drives: 2011 Outlander XLS, 2013 FR-S Blue
My kit is still running strong (dual chargers and the procede controller box).

BUT 2 Cdn winters have killed my starter battery where I've had to jump it twice (I have a portable lithium jumper). What's the best/most amp replacement battery I can fit in there without relocating to the trunk?
Khyron686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:29 PM   #9672
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Full throttle Electric Supercharger Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyron686 View Post
My kit is still running strong (dual chargers and the procede controller box).

BUT 2 Cdn winters have killed my starter battery where I've had to jump it twice (I have a portable lithium jumper). What's the best/most amp replacement battery I can fit in there without relocating to the trunk?

Were you using the odyssey battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:06 PM   #9673
Khyron686

Drives: 2011 Outlander XLS, 2013 FR-S Blue
Don't think so - Rob sold me some batteries when I bought the kit.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0h...E2dXJtSGs/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0h...IwVGpqb00/view
Khyron686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:56 PM   #9674
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyron686 View Post

Snag the odyssey battery that is recommended now with the heat shield. Should do you fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive