follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 02-03-2016, 01:09 PM   #15
sachu

Drives: rocketship
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootinPutin View Post
Do you plan to turbo/supercharge the car in the future? Would the 3 inch only benefit the turbo and not the supercharger right?
Actually, VitViper from Vituned was able to demonstrate that there was 3-4Hp to be gained form going form the 2.5 to 3 inch resonated perrin catbacks even in NA.

As far as whether it would help with turbo versus supercharger, someone who's more knowledgable than me would need to answer that. For sure it would help with turbo and the noise levels come down noticeably.
Not sure about super charging however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Chris View Post
I had the 3" resonated on my car, with stock everything else, and it sounded perfect to me, and I didn't get any drone. I added a catted 2.5" front pipe later on, and it was a little louder, but still no drone. I turned off the cold start, and that helped a lot! Did you guys have the non resonated?
Nope. Mine was a resonated 3 inch. I was running a catted nameless FP/OP combo before running the catless but resonated FP/OP from Ultimate racing.

The nameless was noticeably louder as well. The resonator in the UR FP/OP really does work. Plus losing the cat, I picked up 2-3 more HP almost across the board compared to the nameless.

Well worth looking into the HKS resonated FP as an alternative to the Ultimate Racing too.
sachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #16
PERRIN_Chris

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to PERRIN_Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachu View Post
Actually, VitViper from Vituned was able to demonstrate that there was 3-4Hp to be gained form going form the 2.5 to 3 inch resonated perrin catbacks even in NA.

As far as whether it would help with turbo versus supercharger, someone who's more knowledgable than me would need to answer that. For sure it would help with turbo and the noise levels come down noticeably.
Not sure about super charging however.
Does he have dyno sheets for that? I'd love to see them! I get a lot of people that don't believe us when we say it does make more power on an NA car.

Quote:

Nope. Mine was a resonated 3 inch. I was running a catted nameless FP/OP combo before running the catless but resonated FP/OP from Ultimate racing.

The nameless was noticeably louder as well. The resonator in the UR FP/OP really does work. Plus losing the cat, I picked up 2-3 more HP almost across the board compared to the nameless.

Well worth looking into the HKS resonated FP as an alternative to the Ultimate Racing too.
That's crazy! Mine didn't drone at all with the PERRIN 2.5 front pipe. I could have even had it a little louder!
PERRIN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PERRIN_Chris For This Useful Post:
RobertPaulson (02-03-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 02:27 PM   #17
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Does he have dyno sheets for that? I'd love to see them! I get a lot of people that don't believe us when we say it does make more power on an NA car.

That's crazy! Mine didn't drone at all with the PERRIN 2.5 front pipe. I could have even had it a little louder!
i have no drone on my perrin 3inch FP/CBE but there is a touch of rasp around 3-4k rpm with a tomei UEL and perrin OP.

tbh, i miss my old setup of tomei UEL, perrin OP, 2.5 inch Ark resonated catless fp and 2.5 inch perrin resonated cbe.

i'd be tempted to trade my FP/CBE for a full 2.5 inch perrin or some mixture of perrin cbe and HKS or JDL front pipes.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:46 PM   #18
ShootinPutin

Drives: None
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I had the 3" resonated on my car, with stock everything else, and it sounded perfect to me, and I didn't get any drone. I added a catted 2.5" front pipe later on, and it was a little louder, but still no drone. I turned off the cold start, and that helped a lot! Did you guys have the non resonated?
Never heard of "turning off the cold start" could you explain what you did exactly?
ShootinPutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:57 PM   #19
sachu

Drives: rocketship
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Not crazy. just reporting what I experienced. I had it on my car for almost a month before I couldn't take it anymore.

Maybe we just hear differently, which isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility.
sachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:24 PM   #20
MalcolmHimself

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Never heard of "turning off the cold start" could you explain what you did exactly?
I'm like 80% sure it's something you can do with a tune.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:49 AM   #21
thehapaone
Wasian Ninja

Drives: 2013 Crystal Black Silica BRZ-L
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
cold start is to heat up the cats...if you have no cats this can be tuned out and essentially makes the car not have the obsurdly loud cold start that comes with the car from the factory

Previous Cars: 1970 Chevelle 350 (crashed still have in CA), 2000 Honda Accord Coupe (sold)
thehapaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:06 AM   #22
PERRIN_Chris

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to PERRIN_Chris
Quote:
It is something that you have to do with a tune, there's a huge thread about it here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55676

I used the EcuTEK to do this, it was actually really easy to do. Unfortunately it's not something that we normally include in our PERRIN maps.

It basically takes out the timing retard when it's cold, which will make the cats take a little longer to warm up, but won't cause any issues. I ran it like this on my car for a couple years without problems, and there's a lot of other guys that have ran it for longer.
PERRIN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote