follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-30-2015, 12:22 PM   #239
JDLAutoDesign

Drives: 13 FRS
Thanked 1,437 Times in 652 Posts
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
JDL turbo kit owners thread

It's more than a housing swap, it's a whole turbo and GT specific fitting. We do send all the fittings to make it a direct swap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JDLAutoDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:26 PM   #240
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybot View Post
That'd be easy if @yomny ordered a housing swap.
Like JDL said below its the hole turbo just with a t3 housing instead of the tial vband. Shouldn't be too complicated, I thought it would be worse. Let's see, waiting on a few more details
Old 06-30-2015, 12:28 PM   #241
Rybot

Drives: Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
Like JDL said below its the hole turbo just with a t3 housing instead of the tial vband. Shouldn't be too complicated, I thought it would be worse. Let's see, waiting on a few more details
You're not still considering it though, right?

I assumed you'd just wait until you get the Precision back from the manufacturer to see if the issue still occurs. Only then would you really consider switching.
Rybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:33 PM   #242
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Finally got the car up and running yesterday. Man did it feel nice driving my car again. Now on to put putting around for 500 miles to break in the clutch. meh lol. No leaks, no weird issues, guess its a good thing having so much time on your hands slowly waiting for parts to come in

I know this is a JDL thread and most people will positively praise them, but I really have to tip my hat off to @JDLAutoDesign. Yes, I waited a long time to get this, but I went into it expecting this possibility (I waited for my UEL header from them previously) knowing that the end product would be worth it. There were a bunch of snags along the way, more waiting than I expected, other shops screwing things up, but their customer service and Ronnie constantly staying on top of everything really makes me glad I chose them.

Not only did they take care of me with parts they have done things for me that weren't required from a direct purchase standpoint. I even made mention of the wire on my downpipe being slightly tight for the o2 sensor, in which i had to bend down the bracket up top and Ronnie told me he would send me a new downpipe when I told him it wasn't necessary. He basically told me "you are getting a new downpipe" lol.

I know if there are any issues in the future with my kit for whatever reason that I will be backed 100% by them. I am the type of person that will treat others how I would want to be treated and I could have gotten upset during the waiting process or got annoyed with something like the downpipe not being correct but the attitude and respect you put out is what you get in return and before I could even blink they were taking care of me.

Thanks again guys.

Onto another non related JDL issue - I had noticed when taking my car apart for this swap that my cam solenoid cover where it meets the block on the bottom side of the block was wet with oil. Cleaned it off...drove my car maybe 10 miles yesterday and when I jacked it back up to put the undertrays on...bam wet again. Sigh I saw another thread in that this will be taken care of under warranty but not with my setup obviously. I also believe I read that the motor has to come out. When I pull the downpipe to swap it out I'm going to clean the area real good and try to Ultra gray that crack up and hope it stops it. What sucks is it sits DIRECTLY over the downpipe so if it starts to seep enough it will drip right onto it and smoke/smell like shit.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:02 PM   #243
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxscaxx View Post
Onto another non related JDL issue - I had noticed when taking my car apart for this swap that my cam solenoid cover where it meets the block on the bottom side of the block was wet with oil. Cleaned it off...drove my car maybe 10 miles yesterday and when I jacked it back up to put the undertrays on...bam wet again. Sigh I saw another thread in that this will be taken care of under warranty but not with my setup obviously. I also believe I read that the motor has to come out. When I pull the downpipe to swap it out I'm going to clean the area real good and try to Ultra gray that crack up and hope it stops it. What sucks is it sits DIRECTLY over the downpipe so if it starts to seep enough it will drip right onto it and smoke/smell like shit.
That sounds like the cam plate, which is a known issue. Are you talking about this?

If so, look into the Raceseng cam plate. You can install without pulling the engine. From what I've read, it's easier than you would think.

Here's an install vid from FT86SF. They went in through the bottom, but you can install through the top of the engine bay, too.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybUzI7UE4nM"]FT-86 SpeedFactory - Raceseng Cam Plate Install - YouTube[/ame]
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:14 PM   #244
xxscaxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
That sounds like the cam plate, which is a known issue. Are you talking about this?

If so, look into the Raceseng cam plate. You can install without pulling the engine. From what I've read, it's easier than you would think.

Here's an install vid from FT86SF. They went in through the bottom, but you can install through the top of the engine bay, too.
no, not that. Its on the bottom side of the block. My cam plate never has leaked, lol. Wish it was that to be honest.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:16 PM   #245
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
no, not that. Its on the bottom side of the block. My cam plate never has leaked, lol. Wish it was that to be honest.
Oh dang. Good luck with that
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:16 PM   #246
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
You're not still considering it though, right?

I assumed you'd just wait until you get the Precision back from the manufacturer to see if the issue still occurs. Only then would you really consider switching.
You're completely right, I wanna get my turbo fixed. It's good to know and have an idea but like I mentioned I think is not something I could do right this instant, maybe next month lol j/k. Really though, want to see this RMA process through see how precision behaves after all I've already incurred a few expenses trying get this fixed the right way and I think it's time they handled it.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:21 PM   #247
xxscaxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
Forgive me, its the passenger side valve cover/Timing chain cover that is possibly leaking. Need to confirm
Old 06-30-2015, 01:58 PM   #248
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Forgive me, its the passenger side valve cover/Timing chain cover that is possibly leaking. Need to confirm

The timing chain cover is a huge issue for many of us twin drivers. My car has a leak from the driver side timing chain cover on the bottom towards the corner. Believe there is a tsb about it. I'm not too worried about mine since I'll be building my motor in the next three four months , but to let you know , it's a common problem

ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:00 PM   #249
Rybot

Drives: Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86me View Post
The timing chain cover is a huge issue for many of us twin drivers. My car has a leak from the driver side timing chain cover on the bottom towards the corner. Believe there is a tsb about it. I'm not too worried about mine since I'll be building my motor in the next three four months , but to let you know , it's a common problem

I haven't seen any leaks on mine, granted it's a 2015, but I have already put 20k on her.
Rybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:02 PM   #250
xxscaxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86me View Post

Yeah I figured that out once I started researching it a little while ago when I first discovered the problem. It didn't look to be dripping so I wiped it down and was going to recheck it after some mileage. I'm very surprised it was that wet when I looked after such a short distance. I am going to try to band aid It for now and hope it stops it. I'm not really looking to pull everything back apart right after getting it all in. I should have just fixed it when I noticed it but didn't want to pull things off if I didn't need to. My luck as usual, lol.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:19 PM   #251
ft86me

Quote:
I haven't seen any leaks on mine, granted it's a 2015, but I have already put 20k on her.

Ah they probably fixed that over the years. Mine is feb 2013

Old 06-30-2015, 02:19 PM   #252
ft86me

Quote:
Yeah I figured that out once I started researching it a little while ago when I first discovered the problem. It didn't look to be dripping so I wiped it down and was going to recheck it after some mileage. I'm very surprised it was that wet when I looked after such a short distance. I am going to try to band aid It for now and hope it stops it. I'm not really looking to pull everything back apart right after getting it all in. I should have just fixed it when I noticed it but didn't want to pull things off if I didn't need to. My luck as usual, lol.

All good man. Just keep an eye on it 👍👍

The Following User Says Thank You to ft86me For This Useful Post:
xxscaxx (06-30-2015)