follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-04-2018, 07:18 PM   #1
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Custom Phone Mount (Top Dash Vent)

Just thought I'd share my latest 3D-printed project for my BRZ

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaWia3Vv9e8[/ame]

Here are all the prototypes I went through, with the final, roughly-sanded piece in black in the bottom left. Started with getting the forks for the dash vent right, then grew it with the original goal of filling the entire vent for stability. Then eventually realized it could be made way smaller without sacrificing stability.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
bggns (09-24-2018), IgamaS (09-10-2018), JonAvalon (09-02-2018), MidEastBeast (09-24-2018), mikeg7827 (11-24-2018), tehShirt (08-05-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 07:42 PM   #2
22R
22R

Drives: 2012 Camry SE 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nice work ! Looks great !!

22R
22R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 22R For This Useful Post:
Stang70Fastback (08-04-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 04:33 AM   #3
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Good work. As it's completely custom, next i'd think of making it "active mount", as in with cable fixed in it, so that you can slip phone in mount and no need for extra cable attachment step. And if you want to make it as product to sale, i'd think of means to make it universal. Easiest way to me looks like making it "flat plate" with some holes, so that wide range of Brodit phone-side parts can be bolted to your custom vent mount part & selling via ft86sf
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #4
Drambeenie

Drives: Black 17 BRZ LT MT PP
This is really cool. Will it work for iPhone X? When do you expect a finished piece by? I’m assuming the stands will all be sanded to get rid of the 3D print lines? I personally prefer my phone to be horizontal for navigation is that something you’ll be accommodating?
Drambeenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 01:58 PM   #5
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
^ "with phone X" .. so simplest is to make it in fashion so that it can work with any phone, hence why i suggested brodit, whose mounts are two piece, one - car specific, another - phone (or tablet, though there are universal ones too, usable if with case or extended battery) specific. Would drop need to redesign for each and every phone out there.
I wonder though if "legs" that go in vents, can be made hollow (to still provide enough support), and with opening to side. Those vents are useful for blowing hot air on side windows to defog or defrost them in winter, hence imho the less airflow there is impeded, the better.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:59 AM   #6
Ryguystye

Drives: 2014 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Easiest way to me looks like making it "flat plate" with some holes, so that wide range of Brodit phone-side parts can be bolted to your custom vent mount part & selling via ft86sf
Or you can share the 3d models so we can print our own universal holders
Ryguystye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:20 PM   #7
DrButtDrugs
yerp

Drives: 2015 WRX
I need this in my life/car.
DrButtDrugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:47 PM   #8
MidEastBeast

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Series. Yellow
Garage
You should patent the design into the vent.
MidEastBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:54 AM   #9
dhuang
Cannonball Record Guy

Drives: Series.Yellow, 4C, Fit
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
That's clever.

I also prefer that location for mounting my phone -- currently using a magnetic mount. I usually keep my phone landscape, allowing it to be easily charged (lightning cable is perfect length to the USB port), all the while being usable, and not obscuring any sight lines.

VINwiki - Changing Automotive History
dhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:35 AM   #10
DrButtDrugs
yerp

Drives: 2015 WRX
I used a scosche magnetic mount for a long time but now I have a phone with wireless charging that I'm not so willing to sacrifice by putting a metal plate on the back of my phone. OP what case/phone are we looking at? Looks quite similar to mine. I'd love to pay you for one of these which fits my case.
DrButtDrugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:21 AM   #11
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Sorry for the delayed reply, folks! It's a busy life.

Quote:
Good work. As it's completely custom, next i'd think of making it "active mount", as in with cable fixed in it, so that you can slip phone in mount and no need for extra cable attachment step.
I had originally intended on doing this, however I decided against it as I don't always like to charge the phone. The phone is already in a matte black case, and on particularly hot, and sunny days, the phone can overheat if you are both using it for Navigation, and charging it. It has a built-in safety that will disable charging during that period, but for the sake of the health of the battery, I prefer to just leave it unplugged so it never gets to that point. So I prefer to just plug it in when I feel like it (it's not that hard, anyway :P)

Quote:
And if you want to make it as product to sale, i'd think of means to make it universal. Easiest way to me looks like making it "flat plate" with some holes, so that wide range of Brodit phone-side parts can be bolted to your custom vent mount part & selling via ft86sf
Yeah, this initial design is specific to my phone. I was considering various options for other folks. Another option is for me to print the end ass a ball mount, and sell this as a replacement mounting method for the iOttie mount I WAS using. There are multiple options, and I could sell multiple types, but first I wanted to make my own just for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drambeenie View Post
This is really cool. Will it work for iPhone X? When do you expect a finished piece by? I’m assuming the stands will all be sanded to get rid of the 3D print lines? I personally prefer my phone to be horizontal for navigation is that something you’ll be accommodating?
Sanding APLA+ (the material this mount was made of) is a HUGE PITA, so I'm not sure how I am going to finish the pieces yet. They wont be made of APLA+, though, so I don't know how I'll be finishing it until I get that sorted, but I'm hoping for some sort of reasonable finish. We shall see!

Quote:
I wonder though if "legs" that go in vents, can be made hollow (to still provide enough support), and with opening to side. Those vents are useful for blowing hot air on side windows to defog or defrost them in winter, hence imho the less airflow there is impeded, the better.
My original idea was actually for the mount to fit across the entire vent, and then have vents in the mount to do exactly that. I determined that to be overkill once I discovered that a much smaller footprint mount could be made that left some of the vents open. I ALSO considered making those feet hollow, but I prefer over-engineering things, and I want the base of that mount to be solid plastic to reduce flex. Part of the vent is still open, so that should still allow enough airflow for the vent to be at least somewhat useful (especially since the air will flow harder through the remaining vents.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryguystye View Post
Or you can share the 3d models so we can print our own universal holders
The design isn't finished yet. It still needs some tweaks. However I'm hoping I can sell the finished design for a few bucks to folks. I'm trying to slowly recover the cost of the 3D printer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrButtDrugs View Post
I need this in my life/car.
Stay tuned! I gotta make some adjustments to this design, which was basically just Version 1 of the finished product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidEastBeast View Post
You should patent the design into the vent.
I wonder how hard that is. I'll look into it once I finalize the design!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrButtDrugs View Post
I used a scosche magnetic mount for a long time but now I have a phone with wireless charging that I'm not so willing to sacrifice by putting a metal plate on the back of my phone. OP what case/phone are we looking at? Looks quite similar to mine. I'd love to pay you for one of these which fits my case.
In my case (pun intended), it's a Samsung S9+ with the Spigen NeoHybrid case.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:07 AM   #12
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
If I still had my BRZ I'd be blowing you up trying to buy one of these! Damn cool and useful!
Stang70Fastback (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 10:54 AM   #13
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
This is awesome, when you feel comfortable selling the print files I'll definitely be sending you whatever is asked, I need this in my life.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 01:05 PM   #14
mrderp
ಠ_ಠ

Drives: 860 SansOverspray
Not having to design my own vent mount? count me in.
mrderp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrderp For This Useful Post: