follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-27-2018, 03:51 PM   #15
Submarinesonce

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
You need 2, or possibly if 1 it has to be in the header. Catless header with catted front pipe is still loud AF

I thought that too....till I heard it with 0 cats. now im in the market for something different lol. I got dinged at 100 DB @ 50 ft
JDL UEL Turbo GT2860RS, AP Racing BBK, Verus Splitter/diffuser/canards, Sard rep carbon wing, TFF bash bar, HKS hi power, Tein Flex A, Hotchkiss FSB, Radium MCB, Konig Hypergram 17x8, FS Indy 500, 6k HID, Whiteline trans bushing insert, Verus AOS, grimmspeed strut brace, Racerx oil cooler w/ setrab 619, ES steering rack bushings, Whiteline subframe bushings, Toms tails, STi mirror caps, IRP shifter, TRD Steering wheel
Submarinesonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:52 PM   #16
dattran86
Driver

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
If you are looking for a cheap option,

Im running a muffled track pipe from Nameless, Stock everything else of course.

It is not loud but it definitely has a nice deep tone to it.

the muffler weight 5-7 lbs, while the stock muffler weight like 20+ lbs.

not a good option if you have other exhaust mod

Check out my website:
http://www.aim4apex.com/
IG: aimforapex
dattran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:53 PM   #17
Horrid_Funk

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlgrym3 View Post
I recommended CSG touring as well. I’ve heard it in person and it sounded so subdue at idle with slight hinting of deep tone. I would’ve gotten that if I hadn’t installed the greddy sp supreme already.
I'm on the fence between the CSG Touring86 and the Greddy Supreme SP. Does the Greddy not have as low or subdued note? Which is louder?

I've listened to clips but I think it helps to get opinions from someone who has heard both in person.
Horrid_Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:43 PM   #18
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Such as?

I'm all ears if there's another option that will pass a 90/96 dB test catless, other than the Laguna 90.

The Touring86 is already proven to support a 500hp level of flow. It's certainly not the lightest, but there's no way to reduce noise without weight.

It's kind of like having to add weight to add more braking thermal capacity.
The OP did not say he had to pass a 90/96 db test.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42555

There are plenty of catbacks that weigh less and muffle sound. That list isn't even up to date.

I agree that the exhaust you guys spent a lot of time developing is a great option, never said it wasn't. It's heavy and costs 869 dollars before shipping.

Op said he was looking specifically for lightweight and not stupid loud. A lot of exhausts fit that requirement. Now if he had said, specifically, I want to meet a 90/96 db test and I'm going to be pushing 500 hp.... well, that narrows it down.

@RJasonKlein - I think you have me confused with someone else. I was just saying there are tons of options.

@strat61caster- perrin, borla, magnaflow, miltek, trd, greddy..... again, not neccesarilly "better" but less weight and same ball park quality and pricetag.

Again, I never said a disparaging word about the csg touring exhaust. It seems well built and sounds good from the clips, and to me the weight isn't a big factor. They simply took too long to make a dual exit exhaust and I bought something else in the mean time. OP here said weight was a factor and seemed to imply db level was a secondary concern. Didn't really think my comments warranted a defensive battery championing this one exhaust, lol.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:17 PM   #19
stlgrym3

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrid_Funk View Post
I'm on the fence between the CSG Touring86 and the Greddy Supreme SP. Does the Greddy not have as low or subdued note? Which is louder?

I've listened to clips but I think it helps to get opinions from someone who has heard both in person.
from listening to the CSG Touring that one time, i would say Greddy Supreme SP is louder.
stlgrym3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:28 PM   #20
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
The OP did not say he had to pass a 90/96 db test.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42555

There are plenty of catbacks that weigh less and muffle sound. That list isn't even up to date.

I agree that the exhaust you guys spent a lot of time developing is a great option, never said it wasn't. It's heavy and costs 869 dollars before shipping.

Op said he was looking specifically for lightweight and not stupid loud. A lot of exhausts fit that requirement. Now if he had said, specifically, I want to meet a 90/96 db test and I'm going to be pushing 500 hp.... well, that narrows it down.

@RJasonKlein - I think you have me confused with someone else. I was just saying there are tons of options.

@strat61caster- perrin, borla, magnaflow, miltek, trd, greddy..... again, not neccesarilly "better" but less weight and same ball park quality and pricetag.

Again, I never said a disparaging word about the csg touring exhaust. It seems well built and sounds good from the clips, and to me the weight isn't a big factor. They simply took too long to make a dual exit exhaust and I bought something else in the mean time. OP here said weight was a factor and seemed to imply db level was a secondary concern. Didn't really think my comments warranted a defensive battery championing this one exhaust, lol.
He did, however, mention a decibel limit, and if there's a limit, it's almost always gonna be 90dB. 93, 96, 98, 103, and 105 are also possible, but have increasingly higher costs associated.

Some AutoX venues also have limits, at which point options become very limited, with stock exhaust always being the cheapest option.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:50 PM   #21
Jasonb

Drives: 17 Series Yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattran86 View Post
If you are looking for a cheap option,

Im running a muffled track pipe from Nameless, Stock everything else of course.

It is not loud but it definitely has a nice deep tone to it.

the muffler weight 5-7 lbs, while the stock muffler weight like 20+ lbs.

not a good option if you have other exhaust mod
I'm using the Nameless muffled track pipe as well, but with a JDL UEL. It's loud, but not stupid loud
Jasonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:55 PM   #22
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skurj View Post
At the same time, while i don't mind spending 1-2k on the header, I don't wish to spend another 2k+ on the rest made of Ti...
Why not? Under 11lbs.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7cyy_4l_-4"]Drive-by: Apex'i exhaust manifold/overpipe/Super Catalyzer + Blitz Nur-Spec F-Ti catback exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtgztuqjSzo"]BLITZ / NUR-SPEC F-Ti ZC6 SUBARU BRZ (after M/C) EXHAUST SOUND - YouTube[/ame]
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #23
RJasonKlein

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
You're right, dude - I meant to quote the original poster! Sorry, man - fixed!
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:31 PM   #24
coxxoc

Drives: BRZ
Another CSG Touring 86 recommendation here. I'm using Gruppe-S UEL and overpipe with stock front pipe. The sound is great and completely eliminated the rasp at WOT and bark at startup I had with Apexi RS Evo Extreme (supposedly quietest Apexi for our platform). If you want to use an aftermarket front pipe, look at the Fujitsubo dual resonated unit.

Unless you have a gutted car, lightweight bucket seat, lightweight wheels, lightweight battery, no spare tire, no jack, etc, you are wasting your time with weight savings via exhaust. It's your car though, so do what makes you happy.
coxxoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:54 PM   #25
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
33.6 lbs, 28 lbs, 36.4 lbs, 31 lbs, 33 lbs, 34.8 lbs vs 36

Only the miltek and borla are more than 3lbs lighter than the csg mxp, the rest are within 10%

That link is a good reference (and is my go to as well) but the point is if you want to make sound limits and not piss off your neighbors with a header you're not going to get much lighter than 30 lbs with a catback. I'm not being a fanboi, finding a good exhaust is hard and the trade-off for weight is almost always volume.

@justinco is on the hunt for volume/weight and is looking at buying a fifth catback, I think he's looking at TRD now to make sound...

I'm leaning towards an axleback to save myself a few hundred bucks, I mostly just want ground clearance to fit a jack under the rear diff :P
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 02:12 AM   #26
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxxoc View Post
Another CSG Touring 86 recommendation here. I'm using Gruppe-S UEL and overpipe with stock front pipe. The sound is great and completely eliminated the rasp at WOT and bark at startup I had with Apexi RS Evo Extreme (supposedly quietest Apexi for our platform). If you want to use an aftermarket front pipe, look at the Fujitsubo dual resonated unit.

Unless you have a gutted car, lightweight bucket seat, lightweight wheels, lightweight battery, no spare tire, no jack, etc, you are wasting your time with weight savings via exhaust. It's your car though, so do what makes you happy.
Note that the Fujitsubo's ID gets rather tiny at the resonators.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:36 AM   #27
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Note that the Fujitsubo's ID gets rather tiny at the resonators.
I'm looking at one in front of me and it's the same ID as the rest of the piping.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
JazzleSAURUS (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 01:29 PM   #28
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrid_Funk View Post

I just came from a Greddy SP and now have the CSG Touring86. The CSG IS quieter, but not by much (I'd say 20% at most).
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote