follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-03-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
Sulee417

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can I get help with my goals?

As the title suggests, I have some pretty ambitious goals for my FR-S. Story time first though. I am a new car salesman at an unnamed Chevy dealership, they wont let salespeople drive the new corvettes at all (unfair), but I sold a Z51 corvette the other day and the man who bought it was kind enough to throw me the keys. So I took that beast for a quick spirited run around town and now I have a serious problem... my car is far too tame for my tastes now, which brings us to my goals, 460 HP and 465 Ft-lbs of torque. Now, I understand this is very far out, however this is what I want. the same power while staying as planted as that corvette was. I do not know what I need to do to achieve this, but I did see the crawford 450HP BRZ. Any help with a (long) list of what needs done would be greatly appreciated.
Sulee417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
ericmpena

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Might be cheaper to just get a corvette.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Give yourself a couple of weeks to mull it over. The tiny speedlust portion of your brain, buried deep in your cerebellum, makes a very loud and compelling noise about what you "must have", but it doesn't have any real staying power. Save yourself tons of bucks, gas and aggravation by relearning the excellence of the FR-Z system. Do you really think Corvette owners are happier than FR-Z owners the 99.99% of the time that they are not pressing hard on the gas pedal?
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
Sulee417

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
At $73k a corvette is definitely not cheaper haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sulee417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
csworldfan

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Turbo kit with a gtx30 with all supporting mods and e85. If e85 isn't available in you're area, you're going to have to build the block with lower compression pistons.

Have fun.
csworldfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
swpbrz

Drives: swp brz limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Have fun being in the shop all the time. I'd look for a used corvette. It would be a lot more reliable.
swpbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulee417 View Post
Yeah, actually it probably is. By the time you finish all the mods to an FR-S to give it 460 HP, it will most likely have cost you more than a new Corvette.

You're talking about extreme modification territory, and you're not thinking it all the way through to its logical conclusion. When Crawford put that insane engine into their BRZ, the first thing that happened was that the axle broke. Then other things that couldn't handle the torque and horsepower started breaking.

To make that work, they had to basically re-engineer the car. It's not just about bolting on a turbo and finding an extra 250 HP. And the final cost is not just all the go-fast parts that end up on the final version of the car. You'll have trial and error and broken pieces along the way, and every failure will add to the total cost.

I'm not telling you not to do it. But I don't think you're being entirely realistic about what you're getting into.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
FlamingRectumSyndrome (05-03-2014), MrAmalto (05-03-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd reconsider that "definitely" part...
Jyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #9
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Yeah, actually it probably is. By the time you finish all the mods to an FR-S to give it 460 HP, it will most likely have cost you more than a new Corvette.

You're talking about extreme modification territory, and you're not thinking it all the way through to its logical conclusion. When Crawford put that insane engine into their BRZ, the first thing that happened was that the axle broke. Then other things that couldn't handle the torque and horsepower started breaking.

To make that work, they had to basically re-engineer the car. It's not just about bolting on a turbo and finding an extra 250 HP. And the final cost is not just all the go-fast parts that end up on the final version of the car. You'll have trial and error and broken pieces along the way, and every failure will add to the total cost.

I'm not telling you not to do it. But I don't think you're being entirely realistic about what you're getting into.
I am on the side of the fence of just buy a corvette. However I also want to point out that I wouldn't say it was remotely that much. I have a pretty similar powertrain setup to me crawford and I didn't spend anywhere close to that price. But on the flip side heavily modified cars will be less reliable than a turn key production car. Small stupid things add up to reduced reliability with things as simple as not adding heat shielding to vacuum hoses. OEMs do extensive r&d to make their vehicles reliable

Also the z51 is heavier you won't need the exact same power to have the same acceleration. But you will spend a pretty penny to make your car handle the power and put it down properly.

To do things right I would say 15-30k in the car to have eveything done in a quality reputable manner. This would include a new engine, turbo setup, new transmission, driveshaft, diff, axles, fuel system, suspension components etc.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #10
ericmpena

Garage
Quote:
At $73k a corvette is definitely not cheaper
Have you seen how expensive it is just to get a "reliable" 250-300whp?? OP is talking about 460hp! That will take an extreme amount of time, money, and more money. It may not take a total of $75k to get there (That's including price of car), but keeping it reliable and constantly addressing issues and working out all the kinks...that all adds up.
If I all that money to put into a car then I'd just go for the Vette. That would save you an enormous amount of time and you can start enjoying the car from day 1.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #11
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
I have a pretty similar powertrain setup to me crawford and I didn't spend anywhere close to that price...

To do things right I would say 15-30k in the car to have eveything done in a quality reputable manner.
Does that figure include the cost of parts you have broken along the way? Are you including both motors, including the one that slung a rod, or just the one that's on the car now?
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #12
TJ3000

Drives: MT Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
You are forgetting one key point that the twins have and that's the power to weight ratio ya the Vette may have lots of HP and power you can feel but the twins have a lot of potential. Going fast in a straight line is one thing taking a good line while still being able to maintain a good speed through a corner is another. I suggest you take one of the twins through the canyons and cruise. Hell just even an ecu tune is good enough and you'll still be able to have fun.
TJ3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #13
ericmpena

Garage
OP, read this thread to give you some insight on the journey you're talking about putting yourself through.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63158

The ending sums it all up when you realize all the time and money you've spent into modding your car is just really taking away from what you should really be doing, which is enjoying your time on the road.

I say get a Vette instead because from day 1 you'll be able to hit the road with a smile on your face, as opposed to taking a very long and expensive journey in order to hopefully end with that same smile on your face.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #14
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
I think if you lower your lofty expectations and shoot for 350ish whp this could be done for a decent amount of money. To me if you want that much power you bought the wrong car to begin with. There is no denying the twins can use a bit more power but not 400 whp

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote