follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-21-2019, 09:53 AM   #1
J2M555

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Unusual Pedals Vibration

Hello,

This is my first post on here, over the past few days I've noticed a vibration in the pedals of my car that I feel wasn't present before.
The vibration is in all three pedals and seems to be related to engine RPM. I feel the vibration most at highway speeds, but also around town.
I do have winter tires on, but have had them on since November and didn't notice this, so I have revved the engine just a bit in neutral while stationary
and can feel it there as well.

I don't feel any different vibrations in the shifter other than whats always been there, and nothing really in the steering wheel.
I listened to my car at idle and don't hear any obvious signs of something wrong. The only thing I can hear maybe different is the alternator making a slight high pitch type sound,
but it may be unrelated I'm not sure. It doesn't seem to have gotten worse over the past day or so. I want to look at a few more things, but I will go to the dealer for them to look at most likely.
I was just wondering if anyone had other input or suggestions for things to check.

Thanks,

Car info: 2018 BRZ MT, roughly 5000mi, all stock, except winter wheels and tires.
Car idle: https://streamable.com/clgek

(I felt it best to just append an update to my original post to make it easier to read)

UPDATE: 1/31/19
I have been unable to determine what the cause of the issue is, I scheduled an appointment at my local Subaru dealer.
This morning I dropped of the car at the dealership, I asked the service advisor to see if he could feel the pedals and vibrations while I was there.
The service advisor confirmed the vibrations quickly after only a quick spin around the dealership lot and have agreed to look at the issue.
As of this update I'm driving a rental Outback for the time being, I can further update when I find out more.

Last edited by J2M555; 01-31-2019 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Update on issue.
J2M555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:28 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,863 Times in 16,439 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2M555 View Post
Hello,

This is my first post on here, over the past few days I've noticed a vibration in the pedals of my car that I feel wasn't present before.
The vibration is in all three pedals and seems to be related to engine RPM. I feel the vibration most at highway speeds, but also around town.
I do have winter tires on, but have had them on since November and didn't notice this, so I have revved the engine just a bit in neutral while stationary
and can feel it there as well.

I don't feel any different vibrations in the shifter other than whats always been there, and nothing really in the steering wheel.
I listened to my car at idle and don't hear any obvious signs of something wrong. The only thing I can hear maybe different is the alternator making a slight high pitch type sound,
but it may be unrelated I'm not sure. It doesn't seem to have gotten worse over the past day or so. I want to look at a few more things, but I will go to the dealer for them to look at most likely.
I was just wondering if anyone had other input or suggestions for things to check.

Thanks,

Car info: 2018 BRZ, roughly 5000mi, all stock, except winter wheels and tires.
Car idle: https://streamable.com/clgek
Hello J2M555 and WELCOME to our happy clan …

Vibration in the pedals, huh?

So, can you feel the vibration in/on the floorboard or just through the pedals?

If it (?) vibrates when the car is NOT moving as well, I reckon you can rule out unbalanced, drivetrain, wheels or tires.

I would suggest you fire that puppy up and place your hand on the floorboard and feel if it is vibrating.

Then look/feel around the moving parts of the engine while it is running to determine if you can isolate where the vibration is coming from (pulleys, A/C, alternator, belt).

Then report back -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Is it a lot colder than it has been there? The snow tires are very soft and squishy when at or above freezing but get really hard when the temperature drops. You can have a totally different feel from them at low temperatures. If you are only feeling the vibration through the pedals but not the shifter this may be all it is.
humfrz (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 03:45 PM   #4
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hello J2M555 and WELCOME to our happy clan …

Vibration in the pedals, huh?

So, can you feel the vibration in/on the floorboard or just through the pedals?

If it (?) vibrates when the car is NOT moving as well, I reckon you can rule out unbalanced, drivetrain, wheels or tires.

I would suggest you fire that puppy up and place your hand on the floorboard and feel if it is vibrating.

Then look/feel around the moving parts of the engine while it is running to determine if you can isolate where the vibration is coming from (pulleys, A/C, alternator, belt).

Then report back -

humfrz
I strongly recommend NOT doing that!
Old 01-21-2019, 04:21 PM   #5
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Is it a lot colder than it has been there? The snow tires are very soft and squishy when at or above freezing but get really hard when the temperature drops. You can have a totally different feel from them at low temperatures. If you are only feeling the vibration through the pedals but not the shifter this may be all it is.
Generally, I would agree - but, the OP stated:

"so I have revved the engine just a bit in neutral while stationary
and can feel it there as well.".

Hey, we still got no running hot water - mrs humfrz is beyond not being happy so, this may be my last post -

humfrz
Old 01-21-2019, 04:26 PM   #6
humfrz

Quote:
I strongly recommend NOT doing that!
Why NOT?

If the OP gets his necktie tangled up in the serpentine belt, he will no longer feel any vibrations - problem solved -

Oh, I forgot, who I was talking to - ol "remove all the safety shields @Tcoat ".

They just get into the way - right ?-

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 04:38 PM   #7
Tcoat

Quote:
Generally, I would agree - but, the OP stated:

"so I have revved the engine just a bit in neutral while stationary
and can feel it there as well.".

Hey, we still got no running hot water - mrs humfrz is beyond not being happy so, this may be my last post -

humfrz
I can feel my pedals vibrate when I rev in neutral as well. Doesn't mean it is the same cause and effect.
humfrz (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 05:58 PM   #8
humfrz

Quote:
I can feel my pedals vibrate when I rev in neutral as well. Doesn't mean it is the same cause and effect.
But, but, but - how can the tires be causing the vibration, if the car isn't moving?

If it is colder there, maybe the vibration is caused by his shivering legs or chattering teeth?

humfrz
Old 01-21-2019, 07:07 PM   #9
J2M555

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Thank you everybody for the responses,

I'm going to double check I'm feeling the vibration while stationary, it has been colder over the past week or so, currently 8 degrees outside.

I agree the tires seem like the logical culprit, so I'll run through it all again, I'll feel the floorboards, and touch the pedals, try a couple different things, its tough when its this cold outside.

Again, thank you for the tips,
J2M555 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J2M555 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-21-2019), Tcoat (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 07:09 PM   #10
Tcoat

Quote:
But, but, but - how can the tires be causing the vibration, if the car isn't moving?

If it is colder there, maybe the vibration is caused by his shivering legs or chattering teeth?

humfrz
By revving the engine maybe?
If it has gotten cold all of a sudden it is probably more than coincidence that they started feeling a vibration. If it is not severe enough to be felt anyplace but through the pedals then tires make sense.

Or maybe just turned the HU volume up. Should feel the pedals go when I crank the tunes.

Lets see how far you make it...
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kQMDSw3Aqo[/ame]
Old 01-21-2019, 08:07 PM   #11
Tcoat

Quote:

I'm going to double check I'm feeling the vibration while stationary, it has been colder over the past week or so, currently 8 degrees outside.

I agree the tires seem like the logical culprit, so I'll run through it all again, I'll feel the floorboards, and touch the pedals, try a couple different things, its tough when its this cold outside.

Pretty much need to wit for it to warm up again and see if it changes.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:49 PM   #12
humfrz

Quote:
By revving the engine maybe?
If it has gotten cold all of a sudden it is probably more than coincidence that they started feeling a vibration. If it is not severe enough to be felt anyplace but through the pedals then tires make sense.

Or maybe just turned the HU volume up. Should feel the pedals go when I crank the tunes.

[B]Lets see how far you make it...
]
I made it to 1:04.

How (where) on earth do you find that stuff -

humfrz
Old 01-21-2019, 09:55 PM   #13
BlueWhelan

Drives: 2013 Blue Subaru BRZ. 6 Spd manual
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If the car is stationary and in neutral and you can feel an unnatural or unusual amount of vibration in the cabin when the engine is running (be it from pedals, dash, steering, etc.) it could possibly be a motor mount has gone bad. Check to see if the engine shifts an excessive amount under throttle/load. Check your service manual for how much it should be able to move.
BlueWhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueWhelan For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 09:56 PM   #14
humfrz

Quote:

OK, the "vibration(s)" is/are in your court.

Just be careful trying to touch the pedals and touch the floorboard and drive at the same time -

Hint: Try it just in your stocking feet.

I was going to suggest you take along your SO as a passenger to reach over and take the readings - but, that may get unwanted attention from a LEO.

humfrz

Tags
pedals, unusual, vibration