follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-30-2014, 06:51 PM   #57
dizzario
Banned

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS_FIEND View Post
My Area.... ummmm Non Existent lol. there are plenty on our military base
mine 1 other asphalt two argentos 2 firestorm 2 whiteouts 1 raven and 1 blaze orange (before i was on this deployment at least and that i know of)

but as for meets autox etc. DEAD.................... Cant wait to be stationed somewhere better! I want to go back home to cali, or washington, arizona, nevada, or florida.

If you end up in Northern FL you'll still be fucked. I just came from there. Where are you now?
dizzario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:28 PM   #58
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
The San Diego community is pretty kick ass. If you haven't found community yet, you aren't trying. I've only seen you at the carlsbad C&C ONCE. You should show up more. We tend to have a little older crowd of car enthusiest, which I really like. You have @DriftEm and @whataboutbob. Who else do you need other than Hooman and Bob? That right there is enough for me. Hooman is a character to say the least and Bob has a TON of knowledge about the platform. There is also Eric, Mark, Maximillian…tons of regular autox guys. The cool part about them is that they keep coming back! It's consistent. You get to know these guys and they become friends REALLY quickly.

As far as the comparison between the two communities, you are talking about a cult classic, vs a future cult classic (this in itself is somewhat debateable as the 86 crowd has pretty much made it a "cult classic" already). The 86 is a new platform. You can't expect it to reach epic status yet. Give it time. Gonna suck if you give up on the car now and realize 5 years out that the community has grown quite a bit, the 86 has been discontinued (crossing fingers selfishly) and you are back in the past chasing "what was"

I always tease my BMW buddy because he says the M3 is the king of the track. I agree with him completely, but I do warn him that in a couple years, the 86 (modded ones, of course) might be giving the M3 run for their reign
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #59
dizzario
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveflooder View Post
The San Diego community is pretty kick ass. If you haven't found community yet, you aren't trying. I've only seen you at the carlsbad C&C ONCE. You should show up more. We tend to have a little older crowd of car enthusiest, which I really like. You have @DriftEm and @whataboutbob. Who else do you need other than Hooman and Bob? That right there is enough for me. Hooman is a character to say the least and Bob has a TON of knowledge about the platform. There is also Eric, Mark, Maximillian…tons of regular autox guys. The cool part about them is that they keep coming back! It's consistent. You get to know these guys and they become friends REALLY quickly.

As far as the comparison between the two communities, you are talking about a cult classic, vs a future cult classic (this in itself is somewhat debateable as the 86 crowd has pretty much made it a "cult classic" already). The 86 is a new platform. You can't expect it to reach epic status yet. Give it time. Gonna suck if you give up on the car now and realize 5 years out that the community has grown quite a bit, the 86 has been discontinued (crossing fingers selfishly) and you are back in the past chasing "what was"

I always tease my BMW buddy because he says the M3 is the king of the track. I agree with him completely, but I do warn him that in a couple years, the 86 (modded ones, of course) might be giving the M3 run for their reign
I've never been to C&C. I came to the small meet before ToyotaFest but that wasn't in Carlsbad...at least I don't think so? I had BBS Style 5s back then.

I'm not really trying to be a part of the local community. That was the stance I sort of adopted in my first post. To put it in very simple, maybe 'harsh' terms: the guys local to here are more interested in bro-ing out and buying cans of dupli-color for their wheels. I don't think I've met you and not everyone fits this blanket statement so please don't take offense.

I know how it makes me sound. I know that it makes me out to be a snob. I say these things here because I would never call someone out to their face or make a scene. It's not cool.but the fact is I simply can't relate to guys that rock drift stickers without drifting, you know? Just people who say they do something when they don't. I don't slide enough to warrant the look or the label so why would I try to convey it? It's probably more of a CA thing because we live in the land of lifestyle brands...and this swaggotry is leaking over into the car community.

Getting together with friends is awesome. If you've found some guys you like being around and they're cool then that's a win for you and them. My ideal community would be one that does less sitting around at meets and more aggressive driving. It's a childhood dream I've yet to realize and one of the few I think is doable. Someday.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:09 PM   #60
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzario View Post
I've never been to C&C. I came to the small meet before ToyotaFest but that wasn't in Carlsbad...at least I don't think so? I had BBS Style 5s back then.

I'm not really trying to be a part of the local community. That was the stance I sort of adopted in my first post. To put it in very simple, maybe 'harsh' terms: the guys local to here are more interested in bro-ing out and buying cans of dupli-color for their wheels. I don't think I've met you and not everyone fits this blanket statement so please don't take offense.

I know how it makes me sound. I know that it makes me out to be a snob. I say these things here because I would never call someone out to their face or make a scene. It's not cool.but the fact is I simply can't relate to guys that rock drift stickers without drifting, you know? Just people who say they do something when they don't. I don't slide enough to warrant the look or the label so why would I try to convey it? It's probably more of a CA thing because we live in the land of lifestyle brands...and this swaggotry is leaking over into the car community.

Getting together with friends is awesome. If you've found some guys you like being around and they're cool then that's a win for you and them. My ideal community would be one that does less sitting around at meets and more aggressive driving. It's a childhood dream I've yet to realize and one of the few I think is doable. Someday.
LOL!! Then stop freakin crying! I can't even tell you how wrong you are about the local community. Sounds like it's time you get involved. And I'm not talking about those you see on the street. Let's talk about the actual 86 "community" her in San Diego.

To say it in "simple, maybe 'harsh' terms" you sounds like a whiney brat who complains but won't do anything about it. SHUT UP AND GET INVOLVED! Come out and prove me wrong. I'll be in Carlsbad this saturday. You can hit me if you want to Some of the "community bros" that show up.

your local community

Autox
supercharged, supercharged, supercharged……yes please. (Hooman, Eric, Bob from front to back)

The 86 doin' work
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suaveflooder For This Useful Post:
chas3wba0 (06-30-2014), Weasel Soup (07-03-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 09:33 PM   #61
DriftEm

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Hey dizzario, if you can come out to Qualcomm Stadium this Saturday and Sunday for the autocross. There will be a few of us out there doing what these cars are designed to do, no show here, all go (ok I got headlights and taillight that cost me $1000 and give me absolutely no performance gain ) the whole autocross community is great, you might like this crowd. My car would be the white one with number 979
Old 06-30-2014, 09:39 PM   #62
Eelusive
Night Raid

Drives: '14 CBS BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
My ideal community would be one that does less sitting around at meets and more aggressive driving. It's a childhood dream I've yet to realize and one of the few I think is doable. Someday.
Alright so when are we making a run up to Palomar or Julian?
Eelusive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eelusive For This Useful Post:
suaveflooder (06-30-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 09:43 PM   #63
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Autocross, Cars n Coffee, or this https://www.facebook.com/86DDA, in each case you'll find some of the best people in the twins community.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whataboutbob For This Useful Post:
dizzario (06-30-2014), DriftEm (06-30-2014), suaveflooder (06-30-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 10:28 PM   #64
dizzario
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftEm View Post
Hey dizzario, if you can come out to Qualcomm Stadium this Saturday and Sunday for the autocross. There will be a few of us out there doing what these cars are designed to do, no show here, all go (ok I got headlights and taillight that cost me $1000 and give me absolutely no performance gain ) the whole autocross community is great, you might like this crowd. My car would be the white one with number 979
I got the tail lights too, lol. I'm not 100% against aesthetics dude hahaha you can just tell when all the funding went to making your car look like a HotWheel. It's up to the person to do whatever they want if they (or their parents...) are paying for it but at the end of the day that's not the cat I want to cruise around with. It's perpetuating a stereotype, you know?

I have a 12hr day watch Fri-Sat. Another member told me about the Qualcomm Autocross. How is it? Is it once a month typically? Will you be taking videos? The way my suspension is set up right now isn't suited for those turns...but it's probably only an hour's worth of adjustments to get it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelusive View Post
Alright so when are we making a run up to Palomar or Julian?
THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. When is the next one?!

@suaveflooder - there's a difference between whiney brat and disgruntled manchild lol. Like I said I know how it sounds.
The Following User Says Thank You to dizzario For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2014, 10:29 PM   #65
IloveBaldEagles

Drives: Gray.
Thanked 2,086 Times in 995 Posts
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
In my area some people are taking it too seriously. Talking about stuff you would see in the Godfather movie series. I miss the days where you sit back and enjoy a thing you love. Not getting pushed into it
IloveBaldEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IloveBaldEagles For This Useful Post:
dizzario (06-30-2014), sklimo (07-01-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 10:41 PM   #66
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I got the tail lights too, lol. I'm not 100% against aesthetics dude hahaha you can just tell when all the funding went to making your car look like a HotWheel. It's up to the person to do whatever they want if they (or their parents...) are paying for it but at the end of the day that's not the cat I want to cruise around with. It's perpetuating a stereotype, you know?

I have a 12hr day watch Fri-Sat. Another member told me about the Qualcomm Autocross. How is it? Is it once a month typically? Will you be taking videos? The way my suspension is set up right now isn't suited for those turns...but it's probably only an hour's worth of adjustments to get it there.

THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. When is the next one?!

@suaveflooder - there's a difference between whiney brat and disgruntled manchild lol. Like I said I know how it sounds.

Here's some autox videos if you want to check them out, not all of them are from the Q, some are from the LA region as well. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD-...a_6_W3GkCrulhQ

Just found this one that I hadn't seen before, very nice: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJqVcsLoTCw"]Robert Stangarone - KFR Turbo Sprite Run at SCCA Pro Solo Saturday 4/12/14 - YouTube[/ame]

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whataboutbob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2014, 10:47 PM   #67
mothespaceman

Drives: 2014 BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I've meet a couple other enthusiast owners in the area, but the vast majority that I see on the road seem to be a bunch of swag yolo kids that finally upgraded from beat up 240's.
mothespaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:08 PM   #68
Brick

Drives: White 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I painted my own rims in San Diego... That makes me a poser..? Or worse a bro..? they aren't done but look nice enough till they get them powder coated. With that said the FRS scene as a whole is following every other car scene that comes from inexpensive new good looking Japanese sports cars. There's always gonna be the people who chop the springs and ghetto paint the wheels with any car the only reason that it flourishes in this community is how accessible this car is. Were you perfect when you first modified your first S chassis? Time, money, knowledge those are the things you need to build a sick car most people only have two when you are new you might not have any. Live and learn. Besides those stance dudes screw them and their stupid unsafe camber.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brick For This Useful Post:
suaveflooder (07-01-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 11:30 PM   #69
DriftEm

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I have a 12hr day watch Fri-Sat. Another member told me about the Qualcomm Autocross. How is it? Is it once a month typically? Will you be taking videos? The way my suspension is set up right now isn't suited for those turns...but it's probably only an hour's worth of adjustments to get it there.....
I need to warn you, Autocross is addictive, you will be hooked for life

Here is this years schedule: http://www.sdr-scca.com/solo2/schedule/
Old 06-30-2014, 11:33 PM   #70
dizzario
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveBaldEagles View Post
In my area some people are taking it too seriously. Talking about stuff you would see in the Godfather movie series. I miss the days where you sit back and enjoy a thing you love. Not getting pushed into it

This is awesome. I feel like (in CA at least) it's viewed as competition...a 'need' to stand out. Just be you and enjoy it. Don't rush it and do a hack job. I fully realize my hypocrisy because for the most part I try to live with a "don't fucking worry about other people" attitude and when you see me in person I'm not gonna start spewing my bullshit all over you. I'm only talking here because this is a forum and that's what it's for.

Someone on here said it best: people keep making the FRS just another Scion.