follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-30-2018, 04:51 PM   #1
FewTooManyBeers

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Question Exhaust Setup Question

Hello. I have a 2015 FRS (AT)

Thus far the only modification done to it is a "Muffler Delete" by a local exhaust shop. Essentially it's a custom welded Y-Pipe setup with 4" Tips. However I may be delusional but I may have lost power or I'm at the point of paranoia. What also rather shameful is that the Muffler Delete does not sound that good.

I know, I know. It's a 4 Banger what did you expect. Well to be quite frank my previous car a 0.9L Inline-3 (999cc) made much nicer exhaust tone then my current car, the only difference is that my previous car wasn't exactly Automatic, as it was a Semi-Automatic.

Anyways, from my lurking around Reddit I came to understand that good chunk of the 86/FRS/BRZ owners absolutely hate the "Invidia N1". I personally don't know why, but I haven't seen a FRS/BRZ with Invidia N1 in person so I can't judge.

But after numerous research I kind of found some Exhaust system that I'm willing to get down the road (once I get some spare change, and after I get Rims/Tires out of the way).

So are my choices are:

- HKS Hi-Power Spec-L (CF Varient)
- APEXi N1 Evolution Extreme
- GReddy EVO GT

But all of this are only Cat-Backs, as such I still need Headers, Front Pipe, Mid Pipe, Over Pipe.

There is a full HKS Exhaust Kit
- Manifold & Exhaust Kit, Super Manifold R-SPEC + Hi-Power SPEC-L Exhaust

Which retails for $4,300 + 13% TAX (CAD). It's bit on the steep side, but I'm aware headers (Good Headers) are $800-1000+ range.

With that said, can I get some suggestions? I would like something that isn't overly annoying and down the line I would love to get UEL headers. I mean the GReddy and the HKS and APEXi all seem like nice options, but the rest of the parts is bit out of my reach of understanding, not to mention its an AT so it will not have same sound as a full out MT version.
FewTooManyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:29 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FewTooManyBeers View Post

Thus far the only modification done to it is a "Muffler Delete" ……..
Hello FewTooManyBeers and welcome to … The Forum ..

So, what do you want your exhaust system to do (other than scrubbing the exhaust and delivering it to the back of the car?)

To get any significant power increase, the header would have to be changed.

If its just s different sound you're seeking, several cat backs, axle backs will fill the bill.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:25 PM   #3
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
go to youtube and decide for yourself. no one here can tell you what "overly annoying" is. only you have the sound in your head, so go and find it on youtube. so far as compatibility goes, any parts that can be exchanged for a stock part are compatible with each other
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:31 PM   #4
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FewTooManyBeers View Post

Thus far the only modification done to it is a "Muffler Delete" by a local exhaust shop. Essentially it's a custom welded Y-Pipe setup with 4" Tips. However I may be delusional but I may have lost power or I'm at the point of paranoia. What also rather shameful is that the Muffler Delete does not sound that good.

I know, I know. It's a 4 Banger what did you expect. Well to be quite frank my previous car a 0.9L Inline-3 (999cc) made much nicer exhaust tone then my current car, the only difference is that my previous car wasn't exactly Automatic, as it was a Semi-Automatic.

Anyways, from my lurking around Reddit I came to understand that good chunk of the 86/FRS/BRZ owners absolutely hate the "Invidia N1". I personally don't know why, but I haven't seen a FRS/BRZ with Invidia N1 in person so I can't judge.

But after numerous research I kind of found some Exhaust system that I'm willing to get down the road (once I get some spare change, and after I get Rims/Tires out of the way).

So are my choices are:

- HKS Hi-Power Spec-L (CF Varient)
- APEXi N1 Evolution Extreme
- GReddy EVO GT

But all of this are only Cat-Backs, as such I still need Headers, Front Pipe, Mid Pipe, Over Pipe.

There is a full HKS Exhaust Kit
- Manifold & Exhaust Kit, Super Manifold R-SPEC + Hi-Power SPEC-L Exhaust

Which retails for $4,300 + 13% TAX (CAD). It's bit on the steep side, but I'm aware headers (Good Headers) are $800-1000+ range.

With that said, can I get some suggestions? I would like something that isn't overly annoying and down the line I would love to get UEL headers. I mean the GReddy and the HKS and APEXi all seem like nice options, but the rest of the parts is bit out of my reach of understanding, not to mention its an AT so it will not have same sound as a full out MT version.
I have the HKS full exhaust, though I changed the headers. The version I have is with the Legamax Sport. I think it sounds amazing. But yes, it's a very hefty price. IMO totally worth it

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust