follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 01-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I never could figure this out. Why not just call it "USM"? To me, "USDM" only makes sense if it's referring to US-made cars sold in the US domestic market. A Ford Mustang would be USDM. A Scion FR-S should be USM. How about JEM? "Japan Export Market"? But then there are different export markets, so I guess you'd have to have like "JEMUS" and "JEME" (Japan Export Market US and Japan Export Market Europe). Aww crap, now it's just getting complicated.

Mad tyte USDM y0!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #16
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
I never could figure this out. Why not just call it "USM"? To me, "USDM" only makes sense if it's referring to US-made cars sold in the US domestic market. A Ford Mustang would be USDM. A Scion FR-S should be USM. How about JEM? "Japan Export Market"? But then there are different export markets, so I guess you'd have to have like "JEMUS" and "JEME" (Japan Export Market US and Japan Export Market Europe). Aww crap, now it's just getting complicated.

Mad tyte USDM y0!

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #17
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Its funny, some people in Japan try to copy our USDM Honda Civics, its such an odd way life works. But, enjoy whatever you can.
dem00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #18
Gixxersixxerman

Drives: Toyota GT86, 66 beetle, 11 GSXR 750
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Funny when I was there I seen all sorts of cars.. But I got a laugh of what the car culture is there and what we think it is

What a lot think it is

What is really big there in certain parts

For real I seem a lot of cool "because race car" cars.. But they are way out there in the car culture then we are lol..
Gixxersixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gixxersixxerman For This Useful Post:
zenki_levin (01-22-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #19
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
@Admiral Ballsy @Turbowned

You two are way over complicating things. The "DM" in USDM or JDM aka "Domestic Market" refers to where it is sold and has nothing to do with where it was made or who made it. That is very different from Domestic brand or manufacturer.

I've also never heard it used in any official capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #20
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post

Mad tyte USDM y0!
You bring up an interesting point wherein lies the answer to our OP @Admiral Ballsy's confusion.

A domestic market is a financial market. Its trades are aimed toward a single market. A domestic market is also referred to as domestic trading. In domestic trading, a firm faces only one set of competitive, economic, and market issues and essentially must deal with only one set of customers, although the company may have several segments in a market.
There are certain limitations when competing in a domestic market, many of which encourage firms to expand abroad. The main reasons why a business would decide to expand abroad is down to a limited market size and limited growth within the domestic market.

The words colored in red can allude to an export market. Excluding "domestic" and simply saying JM is not specific enough because it can include JDM and JEM (Japanese export market); the latter includes cars sold to the USDM. Hence, a JM car can be USDM and cause confusion. So keeping the "D" in USDM, JDM, etc. terminology is necessary to specify scope and is not redundant. See my rudimentary diagram:
Attached Images

Last edited by switchlanez; 01-21-2013 at 10:47 PM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to switchlanez For This Useful Post:
Allch Chcar (01-21-2013), Giccin (01-22-2013), Turbowned (01-22-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 12:29 AM   #21
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
The words colored in red can allude to an export market. Excluding "domestic" and simply saying JM is not specific enough because it can include JDM and JEM (Japanese export market); the latter includes cars sold to the USDM. Hence, a JM car can be USDM and cause confusion. So keeping the "D" in USDM, JDM, etc. terminology is necessary to specify scope and is not redundant. See my rudimentary diagram:
Loved the explanation, and loved how the diagram looks like Sloth from The Goonies!!
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Giccin (01-22-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #22
reni
Nobody beats the B[I|R]Z

Drives: shopping cart i stole from walmart
Thanked 1,145 Times in 456 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I just think it's funny when Canadians refer to US cars as "domestics"
-- Niki Lauda
reni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:12 AM   #23
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Ballsy View Post
I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy.
The very fact that you concern yourself with things like this may say more about your sanity!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #24
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Fair enough, makes sense.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #25
res

Drives: Acura, Subaru BRZ - GBS MT Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
You bring up an interesting point wherein lies the answer to our OP @Admiral Ballsy's confusion.

A domestic market is a financial market. Its trades are aimed toward a single market. A domestic market is also referred to as domestic trading. In domestic trading, a firm faces only one set of competitive, economic, and market issues and essentially must deal with only one set of customers, although the company may have several segments in a market.
There are certain limitations when competing in a domestic market, many of which encourage firms to expand abroad. The main reasons why a business would decide to expand abroad is down to a limited market size and limited growth within the domestic market.

Excellent.
res is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #26
zenki_levin
Road Warrior

Drives: AE86 Levin
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxersixxerman View Post

For real I seem a lot of cool "because race car" cars.. But they are way out there in the car culture then we are lol..
Bosozoku ftw
Old 01-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #27
Admiral Ballsy
Shorter of breath

Drives: a soft bargain
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
A domestic market is a financial market.
ALL markets are financial; the definition of a market is a group of sellers and consumers. A domestic market is that part of the global market that resides in the seller's home, generally (but not always) a country.

Quote:
The words colored in red can allude to an export market. Excluding "domestic" and simply saying JM is not specific enough because it can include JDM and JEM (Japanese export market); the latter includes cars sold to the USDM. Hence, a JM car can be USDM and cause confusion. So keeping the "D" in USDM, JDM, etc. terminology is necessary to specify scope and is not redundant.
If I said to you, "I need a headlight for a Japanese market BRZ", would you be confused? Nobody would ever use the term "Japanese Export Market" to define products made in Japan for sale elsewhere. "Japanese Export Market" means the market in Japan for goods manufactured elsewhere. The Chinese Export Market is where GM sells Buicks made in North America.

There is a "Japanese Market" BRZ, and then there are versions made for sale in other markets. I'm working on exports to Brazil right now; if I called the products we make - in the US - for export to Brazil "US Export Market" goods, nobody would know what I was talking about. They're Brazilian Market items, modified or designed for the specific needs of Brazil.

You are of course free to use whatever terminology you wish, but if you ever go to business school you'll find yourself in a group of one.
Admiral Ballsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #28
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Ballsy View Post
I'm working on exports to Brazil right now; if I called the products we make - in the US - for export to Brazil "US Export Market" goods, nobody would know what I was talking about. They're Brazilian Market items, modified or designed for the specific needs of Brazil.
Curious - what do you export to Brazil?
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote